Bought new tires today

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Looked at the Michelins and stuck to the old tried and true for me. Bridgestone's again.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nothing wrong with staying with what you have confidence in.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, stick with what makes you comfy since riding is about 80% state-of-mind.

I tried two sets of Bridgestones early-on with the NT and my only gripe was how quickly the sides cupped and made noise when leaned into a turn - otherwise they worked great. I certainly didn't want to raise the air pressure by 2-4 PSI which seems to be the only cure I could find.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Looked at the Michelins and stuck to the old tried and true for me. Bridgestone's again.
Which ones? The OEM BT-21s should be discontinued and out of production.

I have been running the T30 EVOs and I am quite pleased with them. These are also being discontinued. I will have to move the T31s on the next tire as they replace the T30 EVOs.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Is there a bad tire amoung the top ones? I run Michelins. 8-10 k miles, no complaints.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
As long as you get a tire that has not sat on shelf for a few years you most likely will get a good tire. I know some think one brand is better then another, it is personal choice. I cheap tire from China I might stay away from, but most major brands are good quality tires. So find a good price and get the tires you think are best for you style of riding. I've used Metz, Michelin, and Dunlop, Bridgestone, all seem fine on a number of different motorcycles. Most riders really can not tell much difference, and when you install new tires you can not compare it to the old ones you took off.
A new tire will always perform better then the old ones, after bread in.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
As long as you get a tire that has not sat on shelf for a few years you most likely will get a good tire. I know some think one brand is better then another, it is personal choice. I cheap tire from China I might stay away from, but most major brands are good quality tires. So find a good price and get the tires you think are best for you style of riding. I've used Metz, Michelin, and Dunlop, Bridgestone, all seem fine on a number of different motorcycles. Most riders really can not tell much difference, and when you install new tires you can not compare it to the old ones you took off.
A new tire will always perform better then the old ones, after bread in.
I have only run Dunlops and Michelins. The spare rear R 5 Michelin I just got for my FJR is less than 2 years old If I am reading the date correctly and was made in Spain. I wouldnt buy any tire that was four years old.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I just ran the 9 yr old OEM tires out on my 2nd NT early this year. didn't have a problem with grip. they did seem to wear down faster then my 1st NT, meaning I got less miles on them. even in rain, didn't notice any grip problem

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Woodaddict - probably the reality of older rubber being less resilient. Harder rubber has less give so wears instead of flexing but I'm sure you still ran them to their very end, knowing you! :)

ps. how's the house project coming?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
In the recreational vehicle (RV) world the accepted tire life is five years from the DOT date...that's it. Tires on RV's generally don't wear out, they age out. Add in the cheap "china bombs" ST tires being imported and most won't last near five years....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The tires are still sitting in my garage. They are the T31 type. Also got a set of Pirelli Angels for the other bike.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Spouse just stuck a Shinko 705 on the front of his NT. He's supposed to leave for a 3500+/- trip in the morning. We'll see how it does.
Pretty aggressive tread. Is he planning some gravel our off road travels ?

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I put the Shinko 705s on my NC700 DCT.
They lasted 12,000 miles.

The dealer talked me into a Shinko Raven for the NT700.
I doubt I will get the same longevity but they look like they look to get close to 10,000 miles.
I am a conservative driver but the grip is fine for the way I drive.

Dave

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Spouse just stuck a Shinko 705 on the front of his NT. He's supposed to leave for a 3500+/- trip in the morning. We'll see how it does.
I am sure he will do fine with those tires. If they were $200 a tire, Shinko would sell twice as many. :) I have used them for years on Adventure style bikes and loved them. Not my first choice for my NT700 as they can be noisy.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I had a Shinko on my PC800 as a last choice in the local dealership. wore way too fast

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Out of curiosity, I tried a set of Shinkos on my NC700X. They were on sale at Iron Pony so were around $160 for a set. As Dave said, they wore too fast but what got me was the harsh ride and lack of traction in certain conditions. I took them off long before their time because I couldn't stand them anymore!

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I had a Shinko on my PC800 as a last choice in the local dealership. wore way too fast
I just want to compliment you on the miles you have ridden on PC's and your NT. That is impressive.

Previous:'97 PC800 67,664 miles in 3.3 yrs::'96 PC800 160,560 miles in 10.5 yrs::'82 GL500 Silverwing::'83 Shadow500::'78Suzuki GS550::'73Suzuki TC125::Suzuki TM400::Silver NT700 retired with 201,111 miles:: now on Red NT to do same thing

Top Bottom