Bought NT700: no tool kit

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Honda, in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:, deleted the tool kit from the NT as part of the strip down for the US market. Do Search for tool kit and you should see what folks have put together.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You can order the OE tool kit that was supplied with the bike for the Euro market, but, it is hellaciously expensive.

Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Tool kit.
• 10 x 12 mm open end wrench

• 8 mm open end wrench

• 5 mm. hex wrench

• No. 2 screwdriver

• No. 2 Phillips screwdriver

• Screwdriver handle

• 8 mm box wrench

• 17 mm box end wrench

• 10 x 12 mm box end wrench

• 14 x 22 mm box end wrench

• 27 mm. box end wrench

• Spark plug wrench

(1) Tool kit

• Extension bar

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
The items are not overly expensive, I'm sure you can source the P/N's locally in the US

• No. 2 Phillips screwdriver
uhmm... make that a #2 JIS for a better fit and avoiding mangled screw heads ;)
(no such thing as a Philips bolt on Honda)
this might be a useful alternative (just leave the PZ bit at home):

(snip)

uhmm... make that a #2 JIS for a better fit and avoiding mangled screw heads ;)
(no such thing as a Philips bolt on Honda)
(snip)
Great Advice! I worked on many of my Japanese bikes from '64 until about 20 years ago without even knowing about JIS screwdrivers. What a HUGE difference in removing screws. For those that don't have a set of JIS screwdrivers, let me tell you also, they are definitely worth the money when you come across a "Phillips head screw" that just isn't coming loose. Saving the grief that can come from just one stripped screw makes the purchase a real bargin.

Cliff

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
For those that don't have a set of JIS screwdrivers, let me tell you also, they are definitely worth the money when you come across a "Phillips head screw" that just isn't coming loose.
Yeah, got me some fancy Vessel Megadora Impacta for those nasty cases... ;)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I bought the OEM tool kit shortly after purchasing my NT in 2010. I think I paid $80.00 for it. In 9 years of everyday commuting and weekend trips I only used it once for an allen key to tighten a loose handlebar weight. When I sold my NT I keep that tool kit and much of it now resides with my new motorcycle which also did not come with a tool kit.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I bought my first Vessel JIS screwdriver, a long shank model, just to remove the air funnel screws inside the NT's airbox because a buggered-up head on one of those screws would lead to lots of grief! I recently bought another one and this time with normal length shank. :)

Honda has really been on/off with their bike tool kits. My 2013 CB500F has a tool kit while Deb's 2018 CB500F has none. My guess is that it's related to how much they want to spend to market a certain model. The NT's sold in Europe all had the tool kit while our USA models didn't.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Great Advice! I worked on many of my Japanese bikes from '64 until about 20 years ago without even knowing about JIS screwdrivers. What a HUGE difference in removing screws. For those that don't have a set of JIS screwdrivers, let me tell you also, they are definitely worth the money when you come across a "Phillips head screw" that just isn't coming loose. Saving the grief that can come from just one stripped screw makes the purchase a real bargin.

Cliff
You can make a US Phillips screw driver work on JIS screws by grinding a bit off the tip, so it goes farther down into the JIS screw.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
As far as tool kits on the US bikes, I think it is a lability thing. Remember the US is sue happy. So if they don't put tool kits with the bikes no one can use that as an excuse in any type of liability lawsuit. NO tool kit then Honda is not agreeing for the owner to do their own maint. No tool kit then the bike must go to the shop. If the owner works on the bike and fails to do the maint properly with other tools, then Honda is not responsible and cannot be held liable. Honda then can say it should have gone to and "authorized Shop" Secondary is the end price of the bike. Of course a few more $ by adding a tool kit is not a big thing.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I bought my first Vessel JIS screwdriver, a long shank model, just to remove the air funnel screws inside the NT's airbox because a buggered-up head on one of those screws would lead to lots of grief! I recently bought another one and this time with normal length shank. :)

Honda has really been on/off with their bike tool kits. My 2013 CB500F has a tool kit while Deb's 2018 CB500F has none. My guess is that it's related to how much they want to spend to market a certain model. The NT's sold in Europe all had the tool kit while our USA models didn't.
If a bike has a chain drive, there should at least be a tool kit to adjust it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As far as tool kits on the US bikes, I think it is a lability thing. Remember the US is sue happy. So if they don't put tool kits with the bikes no one can use that as an excuse in any type of liability lawsuit. NO tool kit then Honda is not agreeing for the owner to do their own maint. No tool kit then the bike must go to the shop. If the owner works on the bike and fails to do the maint properly with other tools, then Honda is not responsible and cannot be held liable. Honda then can say it should have gone to and "authorized Shop" Secondary is the end price of the bike. Of course a few more $ by adding a tool kit is not a big thing.
Chuck,
You might be correct but my Honda car comes with a spare tire, jacket and tools to remove the tire in case of a flat which seems like a potentially more liable/dangerous situation than anything I can do with a motorcycle tool kit.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I would be curious to find out whether the omission of the toolkit is a universal American Honda thing since some date certain in the past or whether it is unique to the NT or other models and why. I have found that when a manufacturer does something like that, if you dig deep enough, you will find some justification for their action.

Mike

A lot of good points have been made here about the tool kit omission. I have no idea why Honda didn't put tool kits in the NT's sold in the US, but I have owned various Hondas since 1964 and all the others have been equipped with a tool kit. I don't want to do any major repairs along side the road, but I might want to tighten my rear view mirror or need to make a slight adjustment of the clutch cable, or tighten a loose screw, so I need some tools with me. I'll also add that the tools that have always come with the bikes were pretty crappy tools. Functional? I suppose, but in reality, I honestly think it better to just purchase some quality tools, make my own tool kit and be done with it.

Everyone is trying to cut corners and save some money. Most cars don't even have a spare tire or jack anymore. Most don't have lights in the glove compartment. Basically, if it isn't something you see when looking at a new car or motorcycle to purchase, it is left out anymore.

Cliff

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
You can make a US Phillips screw driver work on JIS screws by grinding a bit off the tip, so it goes farther down into the JIS screw.
Which still doesn't makes it's sides parallel...
NO tool kit then Honda is not agreeing for the owner to do their own maint.
But why are the tools then still visible/avail/offered at US based parts vendors?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I would be curious to find out whether the omission of the toolkit is a universal American Honda thing since some date certain in the past or whether it is unique to the NT or other models and why. I have found that when a manufacturer does something like that, if you dig deep enough, you will find some justification for their action.

Mike
I think it was the 2006 or so model year and newer ST1300s, Honda did away with the tool lit and only included an allen wrench to be able to access the Battery. Don't know about other Honda models as the NT700 was my last Honda. And I traded my 2003 ST in for my 2014 FJR. (which came with a tool kit)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'll also add that the tools that have always come with the bikes were pretty crappy tools. Functional? I suppose, but in reality, I honestly think it better to just purchase some quality tools, make my own tool kit and be done with it.
Cliff
Interestingly, when I went to work for the Honda dealer, I purchased a set of Honda Service technician tools from Honda. They also were of questionable quality compared to US pro tools. For the phillips case screws they provided t-handle phillips which just cammed out of the phillips slots faster. One of my first purchases from the Mac tool dealer was an impact driver. When I went to Honda Service School in Racine, Wisconsin, the instructor who was Japanese said to throw out the Honda tools and buy a set of US pro tools which I did. No one back then that I was aware of knew anything about the JIS differences.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I'll also add that the tools that have always come with the bikes were pretty crappy tools.
They're intended for emergencies... crapped out at the shoulder you need to do something...
Like the lug-wrench or the jack coming in a car's kit... you'd use that once or maybe twice in a lifetime...
Whilst I'd have to admit that the spark plug wrench coming with the Honda bikes is the most practical for the job... :cool:

Top Bottom