Brake Light Fuse?

Bike
2011 NT700VA
Hey Guys,
I'm at work (thus no service manual) and noticed on the way in that I don't have any brake lights. Can anyone pinpoint the exact location of the brake light fuse? I lowered the brake pedal this weekend, but the weird thing is the brake light does not come on using the front bake lever either. Going to check the fuse first.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
MarkinTexas
Bike
2011 NT700VA
I just removed the seat and found the a fuse marked brake/horn. It was good. I removed the factory horn and replaced it with 2 Fiamm horns this weekend, so I'm going to have to check how I wired the relay and see if that is causing the brake light not to work.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Let us know how the Fiamm horns work out. I would like a louder horn but I am somewhat "tool challenged". Were they a straight bolt-on or is a relay required?

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I just removed the seat and found the a fuse marked brake/horn. It was good. I removed the factory horn and replaced it with 2 Fiamm horns this weekend, so I'm going to have to check how I wired the relay and see if that is causing the brake light not to work.
Simple check: disconnect the relay and see if the brake light works.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I would FIRST look at the bulbs. Both of my taillight bulbs died within the first 2 years of service.

Bike
Silver NT700V
What DirtFlier said. Remember, both bulds are the same age. When one goes, the other will not be far behind.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
Re: Louder Horn?

I too wanted to be able to blast paint off a vehicle intruding in my space and I bought a Screaming Banshee set. They have one option that is just loose components so that the different pieces can be squeezed into what little space there is under the plastic. I am not only tool challenged, I am time challenged so I had my servicing dealer install it while doing the 8,000 mile service. He made brackets and did a great job. It took two hours to shoehorn it in and wire it and I am glad it was while he had to take the fairing off to get to the valves.

Anyway, I am very pleased. The Screaming Banshee is much louder than the stock horn, which still works for beeping but is overridden for blasting, all depending on how long you hold down the button. More info on http://screaming-banshee.com/. By the way, UPS broke one of the horns in shipping and the Banshees were very quick to replace it on just my word. Good folks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkinTexas
Bike
2011 NT700VA
So what I thought was failure of the brake light to come on was actually the brakes on all the time. As it was daylight, I really didn't notice the intensity this morning. Figuring there was too much tension on the brake light switch, I pulled the piece that holds the foot pegs and brake lever. I saw an adjustment wheel that can actually be accessed without disassemble if you know where to feel. Made the adjustment and all is good now. If you the lower the pegs, this adjustment must be made.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mark, I should have thought of that. It happened to me, too. My only excuse is that I'm old and that was over 5 years ago. :)

Glad you got it figured out!

OP
OP
MarkinTexas
Bike
2011 NT700VA
Thanks Phil, was glad it was an easy fix. Will be posting pictures soon.
Best,

Top Bottom