Brake pad thickness

bicyclist

Anybody know the thickness of the pad material on a new set of pads?

I have 19K on the bike. Right pads are 2 mm, left pads are 3 mm, rears are 4 mm. Knowing the original thickness will give me an idea how far I can go on those right pads. I have a long ride ahead and, while I'd prefer to err on the side of caution, I'm averse to pissing money away unnecessarily.

OP
OP

bicyclist

I'll be able to answer my own question in a few days. I decided that I'm going to need the new pads sooner or later, so I ordered them to have on hand. When they get here, I'll measure them and post the info.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I'll be able to answer my own question in a few days. I decided that I'm going to need the new pads sooner or later, so I ordered them to have on hand. When they get here, I'll measure them and post the info.
Thanks, George. I was curious about this as well.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Thanks, Bob. I ordered stock pads which Ron Ayers sez should be here Tuesday. We'll see how they compare.

OP
OP

bicyclist

OK, parts came today. Brand new, the pad material measures 4 mm not counting the ridges on top of the pads. The ridges are maybe .25 mm. Sounds pretty close to your EBC pads, Bob.

So it looks like I'm about half way through my right side pads at 19K miles. Based on that, I should be able to get to Alaska and back before I need to change them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You may run into more abrasive road material in construction zones in the Great White North.

OP
OP

bicyclist

So have I, but I think the guys who had trouble put in a lot of miles on the gravel roads and the problem was usually with the rear brake. I'm not aware of anyone having problems who stayed on pavement and only had to deal with construction areas. And, like you, Bob, I'll probably take the spares with me.

I have heard that tire wear is greater. We'll see.

Top Bottom