Brake Pad Wear/Replacement

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But do you replace the stock hoses every four years?
No. I know I should, but the only bike I've had for longer than four years was my first Connie. I was thinking about replacing them when I wiped the bike out. It'll be on my checklist for Dudley.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My front Brakes started making some noise today. Believe that a pad separated from the backing plate. Any recommendations out there for replacements?

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
My front Brakes started making some noise today. Believe that a pad separated from the backing plate. Any recommendations out there for replacements?
I went Honda OEM. Let us know what you find.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Herb, Bike Bandit has different part #'s for the left and right rotors, EBC just tells you to order two. The left caliper has an additional piston for the rear pedals combined operation. Did you see a difference when you pulled them off?

Have found Goldfarb / EBC / Bremsen / and a no name sold by Niche Cycle / so far

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
But do you replace the stock hoses every four years?
No, I have the same hoses on my ST1300 for 9 years and 101k miles. I do inspect the hoses whenI bleed the breaks/ replace pads, on the bike. It will be going down for a major refit here in the next month or two. Wheel bearings, fork seals, fuel hose from upper to lower tank, Drive shaft U-joint, and if I can afford it a new rear shock.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Herb, Bike Bandit has different part #'s for the left and right rotors, EBC just tells you to order two. The left caliper has an additional piston for the rear pedals combined operation. Did you see a difference when you pulled them off?
I ordered Honda left and right pads(two different part numbers at the same time but replaced the left several months after the right(this was the disk that was warped and causing unusual wear) and can't say that I paid much attention to similarities or differences. Sorry.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The left caliper has an additional piston for the rear pedals combined operation.
Karl both front calipers have 3 pistons. The right are all squeezed from the front master cylinder. The center piston on the left is powered from the rear brake lever.
I can't say for sure about the part # differences. I would surely think they are the same pads. I did notice that abs and non-abs use different pads.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Years ago, I replaced the front brake hose on my VT500FT Ascot just to see if it made a difference and not because it
was on the Maintenance Chart. That bike had low mileage but was 10-years old. I bought a new Honda OEM hose and was amazed how much it improved brake feel!

Top Bottom