Brakes pushed out during tire removal. Don't push themselves back in anymore.

Bike
2010 NT700V
So I accidentally grabbed a handfull of brakes when my front tire was off and after I pushed my pads back in manually, they no longer suck themselves in. :doh1:

How much work am I in for?

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
I just replaced all my brakes on Friday. Unlike auto brakes, the calipers are easy to "retract" by just pushing them. This will give you more room to insert your break pads. I know that this does not pertain directly to your issue, but if you have only widened the calipers then by applying the breaks they will close back down on your brake rotor.

On the back brake there is a small rubber cap that covers the bolt holding the brakes on and on the front there is no cap. Just unscrew the bolt and you will have to apply some pressure on the pads as there is a spring on the rear of the caliper that is applying constant force.

So. for your issue. Sounds to me that you have not gotten the back of the pads completely set in the "springs". I found that when putting in the "outside" brake pad do it from the same side of the wheel as the pad, but then putting in the "inner" pad do it from the other side of the wheel. that way you can see the back of the pad and if it is in the "spring". I would suggest that you just remove the bold that holds on the pads as it will make the assembly much easier.

Michael

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The pads only "suck themselves in" a minute amount to compensate for wear. This is done with a square section O-ring that acts as the return spring for the caliper piston. If you pushed them out too far, it may require using a C-clamp to get them fully seated or you could try my method. Before I reinstall the caliper, I often place a wooden "shim" between the pads. These shims used when leveling a door or window during construction and you can buy an entire pack for only a few bucks. I put the thin end in first, then use a mallet to tap on the thick end and it drives the pistons back. The wood is soft so it doesn't damage anything.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
I had an issue where I was not able to "compress" the second caliper as easily as the first until I removed the cap on the fluid reservoir.

Top Bottom