Brakes & tires

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I want to replace my brake pads when I put on my new tires in a few days. Can someone help me make sure I buy the right pads?
When I go to websites that offer OEM parts for the NT, they don't list brake pads

Thanks, Clay

tawilke46

Clay,
I went looking and from what I see there is a difference between the ABS and non-ABS pads. Bike Bandit did not have pads for the 2010 non-ABS NT700V. On Bike Bandit look under control and brake, aftermarket parts, brake pads and shoes.
Found some on E Bay and Amazon. Evidently not a big selection of places to get them online.
I'm sure your friendly local Honda dealer would order some for you.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Right Front PAD SET, RR. 06435-MBL-D02 001 $59.28 $40.75
Left Front PAD SET, L. 06456-MCW-H02 001 $40.40 $32.82
Rear PAD SET, 06435-MBL-D02 001 $59.28 $40.75

bicyclist

Right Front PAD SET, RR. 06435-MBL-D02 001 $59.28 $40.75
Left Front PAD SET, L. 06456-MCW-H02 001 $40.40 $32.82
Rear PAD SET, 06435-MBL-D02 001 $59.28 $40.75
That's not correct. Should be:
left front 06456-mcw-h02
right front 06455-mcw-h02
rear 06435-mbl-d02

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I don't think they do differ as far as the pads go. They should be interchangeable. It isn't uncommon for Honda to list different part numbers for parts that are the same just on different areas of the bike. The front and rear do appear to actually be different though I would not be surprised if it was just a difference in pad thickness.

how do the left and right pads on the front differ?

Bike
'10 nt700v red
I forgot the EBC part numbers for the NT700V/VA:

Front FA388HH Sintered
REAR FA261HH Sintered
I recently installed these on the old rotors and at first I wasn't impressed. But once they "seated in," I really like them. It will be interesting to see the longevity of the pads and rotors.
John

Last edited:

bicyclist

If memory serves, the pads are the same, but the backing plate that goes on the wheel side of the caliper is what differentiates each set. The set comes with 2 pads and the backing plate.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
The pads are certainly the same. The "shim" can be swapped from one pad to another. I have swapped my pads from the left caliper/disc to the right and visa versa to even out the wear rate.
I mostly use the rear brake so the LH pads wear quicker than the RH due to the linked system. After a "rebed-in" they work perfectly well. Bear in mind though that both of my discs are in excellent condition and still with 60% (average) remaining on the pads at 48,000 km.
It is so easy to remove the pads, front or rear, that occassionally I take them out and thoroughly clean them with detergent and "brake parts cleaner". I believe that is the reason that my discs are still in such good condition.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...It will be interesting to see the longevity of the (EBC) pads and rotors....]

Aftermarket pads are notorious for causing rapid wear of the rotors. All that additional stopping power is more friction so there's no free lunch. In regards to Honda using a different P/N for the same part, why would they introduce a new number into their system for no reason? If they have a different P/N something is different, but perhaps not perceptible to the eye. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
:shrug2:
Honda does the same thing on the GL1800. The difference being the last digit in the first sequence of the P/N. The pads/shims were identical when they arrived in the box. Maybe since the calipers are different, the P/N is slightly different for left versus right. Complete guess on the reason for the P/N difference though.

[...It will be interesting to see the longevity of the (EBC) pads and rotors....]

Aftermarket pads are notorious for causing rapid wear of the rotors. All that additional stopping power is more friction so there's no free lunch. In regards to Honda using a different P/N for the same part, why would they introduce a new number into their system for no reason? If they have a different P/N something is different, but perhaps not perceptible to the eye. :)

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The stock pads come with clocked heat shields (a left and right) the pads are the same up front. the old heat shields snap off and can be reused...they are there to keep you from overheating the brake fluid. Something a lot of us will never do. Why risk it. The stock pads are also HH sintered pads with the ability to lock both front and rear wheel...

bicyclist

There ya go, clocked heat shields. I was too lazy to look up the name of the plate. And I agree with Karl that the stock pads are just fine. The bike has excellent brakes; no need to mess with aftermarket pads.

Top Bottom