Bridgestone Battlax 020R

Id4rob

Avoid these tires!

I put my bike in the shop at 12,000 miles for a valve adjustmant and they noticed that I needed a new rear tire. Since they had previously hooked me up with a Michelin PP3 for the front tire, I just made sure to "use a good tire, like the front." Mistake! After 5500 miles, the tread is gone, except on the edges, and I am now calling shops to see who can install a Micheline PR4. Sure, I never experienced a loss of traction, but, other than a trip from central OK to Houston, the vast majority of driving I do is my 130 miles per day commute, 60% interstates and 35% state highway - I don't need a sport bike tire!

Lessone learned: Play an active part in your tire selction and do not leave the decision making in the hands of yoru local motorcycle shop.

P.S. Now that I am dong some serious, independent tire shopping, I do not even find the Bridgestone 020R's listed. Maybe I got a good deal (!) on a closeout tire?

The BT-020 was the OEM tire for the NT. My first and only set didn't impress me with its longevity. But they were cheap ... back in 2010.

I'd never leave tire choice to the shop. As you found out, they will normally put the stock tire on the bike, which usually is not a great choice.

I am confused. Did they put a PR3 on the front that wore out in 5,500 miles or a BT020 ?

Discontinued tires are usually discounted by the manufacturer to the retailer and sometimes that savings is passed along to the consumer, sometimes not. Taking an active part in tire selection BEFORE replacement is needed is always a good idea.

At least in my mind, buying last year's greatest tire vs this year's greatest tire can yield cash savings without hurting performance. And besides, no one on this list is trying for pole position in motoGP! :)

Rob,

I got my PR3's from Amazon, and Oklahoma Honda & Suzuki in Del City will mount and balance them for $25 a wheel if you remove the wheel from the bike and take it to them.

Agreed. I tried to stretch a set of PR3's on a trip but only made it halfway before the rear started showing chords (almost 12k). Limped 60 miles to the nearest dealership which only had 20's. The were better than the bald set but got rid of 'em asap. Now enjoying PR Sport front and PR4 rear.

Avoid these tires!

I put my bike in the shop at 12,000 miles for a valve adjustmant and they noticed that I needed a new rear tire. Since they had previously hooked me up with a Michelin PP3 for the front tire, I just made sure to "use a good tire, like the front." Mistake! After 5500 miles, the tread is gone, except on the edges, and I am now calling shops to see who can install a Micheline PR4. Sure, I never experienced a loss of traction, but, other than a trip from central OK to Houston, the vast majority of driving I do is my 130 miles per day commute, 60% interstates and 35% state highway - I don't need a sport bike tire!

Lessone learned: Play an active part in your tire selction and do not leave the decision making in the hands of yoru local motorcycle shop.

P.S. Now that I am dong some serious, independent tire shopping, I do not even find the Bridgestone 020R's listed. Maybe I got a good deal (!) on a closeout tire?

Rob, you say a pp3, is that a typo, The good michlins are PR3. I know the PR 4 series is out and available, but I have had very good results with the Pr 3's and have a brand new set on now for my treck to TN , AND possibly FL next month.

I can only imagine two reasons you experienced the short tire life, One would be tha you are on a lot o aggressive Asphalt, or that your tire pressure is not where it is supposed to be. I changed my tires out at just over 10K miles only because of duration of trip I have placed next.//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////'
'
'
''''''

Rob,

Most of us on this forum have gotten excellent milage out of PR 3 's. I wonder if your ride is on nasty sharp stoned chip seal, or if you are not checking your ire pressure regularly.

I change out to new tires for next month's trip, but went t with PR-3's again, I had just over 10,000 on them and I am certain I will get another 7-8,000 miles out of them when these wear out.
Eldon

Thanks, Richard. Since taking my bike's plastic apart and the back together over the weekend to find the cause of no headlight, I found missing fasteners and some that were soon to be and the only ones to previous take the bike down that far were Morris Motorsports in Chickasha. After seeing up-close the quality of work they do - my tank had one front bolt missing and the other nearly gone - I began looking for another shop. I like the guys in Shawnee and they have a great showroom, but it's an hour drive for me. Del City is much closer and now comes with an endorsement.

Clarification: the PR3 is on the front and is the second tire in that spot. It has performed and held up ver well. The Bridgestone Battlax 020R is the second tire I've had on the back and, even though recent posts state it was an OEM tire, this particular one has not performed nearly as well as the first. Other than making my 65 mile one-way commute in 35F plus weather rather than 40F plus, I cannot think of any other changes in driving style.

Judging from what I have heard, read and experienced about the Michelin PR3 and PR4 tires, that's what I'll stick with moving forward.

The bad rear tire that only lasted 5500 miles is a Bridgestone Battlax 020R. My front tire that has performed and held up very well is a Michelin PR3. I've now got a PR4 for the rear on its way from CompAcc.com. I'm looking for TPMS system I would like to have installed when I have my tire mounted. Anybody have any testimonials?

Back
Top Bottom