Broke a bolt (over tightened pinch bolt on front fork) How can I remove it?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Well I thought it read 44 lbs on the torque wrench and it should have been tightened to 16 lbs. The first 3 bolts clicked at 44, but on the 4th pinch bolt, it snapped the bolt:doh1:. My first question is how do I get whats left of the bolt out, and is there a problem with the over tightened other three?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
If you try a drill bit, it may push it right thru to other side by threads. FOR SURE....order all 4 new bolts, if one broke others could too, don't take a chance. I have a NT friend that had dealership overtighen them and one of his broke, he went to drill it out, it just turned right thru other side, be careful not to hit threads on fork tube.

PS. Should have told you to drill from back side(thd side of fork), bolt may have broken off on shank( no thd) and you would have to drill it out to get it to turn from behind toward front(flange head side)

Last edited:
Whichever side you decide to drill, be sure to use a center punch and put a dimple in what's left of the bolt first, so your drill doesn't go 'walking' all over, slipping and ruining the threads as Woodaddict points out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Well I thought it read 44 lbs on the torque wrench and it should have been tightened to 16 lbs. The first 3 bolts clicked at 44, but on the 4th pinch bolt, it snapped the bolt:doh1:. My first question is how do I get whats left of the bolt out, and is there a problem with the over tightened other three?
And yes, I would remove the other bolts and replace them. That is a ton of excess torque. I normally set my torque wrench (Ft or Inch pounds) and double check against the Nm settings in the book. That way I safe guard myself against setting the wrong value. With so much aluminum on vehicles these days, you're luck to snap a bolt and not strip threads. :(

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Most of the time when a bolt snaps in a hole that is drilled/threaded all the way through, it is no longer under any great force since the bolt head is gone.

It is most natural to tighten the pinch bolts for the bottom clamp first since you're working at that end of the bike and that's how it's done in the S/M. Of equal importance but not mentioned - After the front wheel is installed but with axle pinch bolts and axle nut still loose, it's always a good idea to slightly loosen the fork pinch bolts on the bottom clamp, then pump the forks up and down. This helps everything to center and align itself properly to ensure you're not creating a bind in the system. Now, you can torque everything.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
You have already recieved some very good avise , I would add that if you should manage to eally screw up those old threads that y ou find out FOR SURE the correct size and thread pitch and get a Time_Sert tool kit to take the bolt size back to stock . The Time_Sert system is a fantastick tool far superior to other systems such as Heli-coil inserts which ar only a wire spring like bushuing. The time _Sert is a high quality steel bushing . The kit comes with everything you need except for the special loctie that they recomend on thier web site; speaking of which take the time to throughly look at it and watch thier vidio. DoO NOT go to your local place to order it. I did that with the first one I orederd from Fastenal it took 3 12 weeeks for it to finaly arrive . You can order it direct from Time_Sert from thier facility in Reno NV, I got my second one that way and it was on my door step on the 3rd day after I ordered it.

I will say you will have sticker shock when you look at the price tag, I will make a wild guess that it will be somewhere between $125 & $150.00!! BUT you get what you pay for! If you have to go that way DO NOT forget to use thier oil that is included with the kit when you insert the SERT! if yu dont oil the inserting tool it wil not turn back out after you seat the insert and the insert will come back out with it and be a major PIA as you will have to put it in a vise to get it removed and then quickly get the area ll cleaned of the loctite and then put the insert and tool in a vise to remove the bushing and use anothre one as the one you got separatted from the insert tool will be destroyed.

I learned about this tool and install system back in the early 70's when I was working part time in a Harly shop and the old knuckle heads and pan heads would sometimes get bad threads from people who cross threading a spark plug. This method allowed us to repair it and not have to remove the cylinder heasd.

Eldon

Last edited:

rcase13

My dealer overtightened mine and snapped the bolt heads off on two of them. I went ahead and ordered 4 new bolts and installed them. To remove the stud I simply used a drill bit from the back side and the studs spun right out.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOL I haven't heard anyone mention a CZ since 1975!!!
WELL now that you mention it my memory goes back to 1972 /73 in europe. I had a 72 / or was it a 73 250 MX bike first year of the 5 speed transmission for CZ MX bikes in europe wit Black frames. Kony rear suspension, front forks modifies to give a whopping 7 1/2 inches of travel, Engine sent to Prauge factory via my German friend who had th CZ dealeship in Offenback Germany. !/2 gallon of Jim BEam and $150.00 and it came bck works tuned, comunist Carb left there and a bing in it's place.

I was recovering from a depressed skul fracture at the time it came back and by the time I was realeased to rie I had sort of lost my urge to ride. I did go to one race and took a slow start and did about four or 5 laps and pulled into the pit are and loaded it up, I had paid $1000.00 for it, put probably a total of 400 into it, nad sold it for a $1000.00 which I put into sterio equiptment tha i still have. in hind site I should have just pulled engint out of bike and the wheels of etc and boxed it up and had it sent home with my household goods whenI came back. Who knows,
it might have made it home to military retirement. If it had maybe I would have had the good sense to keep it.

Eldon

Top Bottom