Buffalo / Bison in Custer State Park, SD

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Jim Moore and I took a ride through the Mt. Rushmore area on Saturday, July 12. We didn't expect the road block that greeted us near the entrance to Custer State Park.

Dozens (maybe hundreds) of bison were standing, lying, and milling around on the road, causing a 15 minute delay to our travels. I am here to tell you that these creatures are REALLY big when seen up close from only a few feet away. I felt very naked and exposed when they passed by in front of me, even in full riding gear. Their noisy grumblings could be easily heard, even with ear plugs and a helmet on!

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
They are even more intimidating when you're on a bicycle. I don't know if you can roller skate in a buffalo herd, but I can testify that, if you've got a mind to, you can ride a bicycle through one.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Another "hazard" in Custer State Park is the wild donkeys. They aren't that dangerous but they like snack handouts from tourists. I was in a car there once and one was trying to get his head in the window to look around. If you leave a vehicle, secure your stuff.

Brad

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I had a similar experience last year as I rode thru Custer SP, except the herd was on either side of the road and you could get by

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
That is one of the reasons my friend and I did not ride the wildlife loop in Custer just last month. We saw soo many and had several close calls in Yellowstone so didn't want to deal with any more when we got to SD. We were behind a slow moving herd of about 50 for over 1 1/2 hrs in Yellowstone. They used the road for travel as there was a steep mountain on the left and river on the right.

skiper

They look interesting .. this post got me out to check on the bison ranch near me here in finger lakes new york. Yep - after following a super orange ball o sunset and having a sensational ride thru the farms - there they were , just as the furnace orb hid away for another day - the Bison were milling about for me. And they put on a stomping show as well. I was surprized the rancher told me they hide in the trees when it rains, because of the pictures of them out in all kinds of harsh weather - yet a little drizzle makes em hunker down.. They are very impressive creatures and that fur they got would make a great Abominable Sasquatch Costume .. :^)

Top Bottom