California by NT

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Boy, I wouldn't be afraid to call Corbin. Not after what you spent. If it needs fixing, it needs fixing. I'm thinking Russell's deal is either one fix or a year, can't remember which. I'll bet Rick does, though. Pull Corbin's chain!!

bicyclist

If the bars were further back, would the seating position be right? Is the problem that you have to move forward on the seat to reach the bars?

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great thread Igo. I still have to go back and look at all the pics. Looks like you had a ball.

BTW, did you install bar backs or straight risers on your NT? I put on the MCL risers but am still considering TT Bar Backs to because the Sargent seat won't let me hug the tank as much as the stock did. That said, i don't get painfully numb with the Sargent either. Seems ergos can be a game of inches, or less.

OP
OP

Igo

If the bars were further back, would the seating position be right? Is the problem that you have to move forward on the seat to reach the bars?
If you will notice, the bottom of the lever hardware on the handlebars drop down into the dip or indents in the gas tank. Whatever you do with risers after 1 inch will only force the handlebars to be raised to clear the tank wall. Putting risers on that are higher than an inch only forces you to roll the handlebars away from you to clear the tank of lever hardware so after a 1 inch riser your only option is to have the seat pan move forward if you are not as upright as you'd like to be. The wider pan on the Corbin is what saved my arse but I'm still sitting out on the front of the seat instead of socked down into the pan which defeats the purpose of having a wider pan because I still only have but so much seat under my behind. And handlebars that center too far back from the steering knuckle's fulcrum point are un-natural handling. You can only come up and back so far before you are swinging the handlebars rather than turning them.

OP
OP

Igo

Great thread Igo. I still have to go back and look at all the pics. Looks like you had a ball.

BTW, did you install bar backs or straight risers on your NT? I put on the MCL risers but am still considering TT Bar Backs to because the Sargent seat won't let me hug the tank as much as the stock did. That said, i don't get painfully numb with the Sargent either. Seems ergos can be a game of inches, or less.
Chuck, in my post just before this one it explains why you can only do so much with stock handlebars on the NT before you either have to change pan/bucket/whatever it is called position forward. And I promise from many motorcycles that mere inches mean everything. How many times would you have put two living room recliners side by side and said they were the same until you actually sat in both of them. All else being the same, just an inch here and an inch there means the difference between contortion and sleep in 10 minutes. Just inches.
Oh, I installed straight 1.2 inch risers.

Top Bottom