Campground Dining

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Having returned from a two week to trip to southern Utah, I thought that I would start a discussion on touring and packing for eating while camping.
Generally, if you have a motorcycle you can ride to food. No need to pack anything.

There are exceptions. Camping at Devils Garden CG in Arches NP. It is a 40 - 50 mile rt to eat in Moab with no stores or restaurants in the park. Also throws a damper on Happy Hour before dinner. The nearest Walmart to Bryce Canyon NP is 90 minutes away. Tropic UT is about 10 miles and there is a camp store near the Bryce CGs. This was my approach to occasionally eating hot meal in camp.

I thought the Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Dinner was exceptionally tasty. Like a bowl of stuffing with turkey chunks and veggies. The bag contains two servings (who are they kidding?). Rip the top off, add 10 oz of boiling water, stir and seal for 5 mins, stir again and reseal for 4 mins. Eat out of the bag when it cools enough. Hot meal in 15 minutes. Cleanup is discard the pouch and clean the spoon. Starbucks individual powered coffee packs for a post dinner coffee. Adding a small bottle of Kahlua or Baileys is optional. šŸ˜„

1602367264255.png

Cheap Lightweight Stove (fits in orange case then in Kettle) ($8 and up, they are all over)
Small Kettle to Boil water (I have an Optimus. Water boils fast)
16 Oz water bottle to measure water to put in kettle
Long spork to eat freeze dried meals out of bag
16 oz Hot/Cold Thermal Cup (Hot and Cold drinks)

Different view for scale.
1602368651561.png
https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-8016292-Terra-Kettle/dp/B001ANF75Y/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=light+backpack+kettle&qid=1602365262&sr=8-14
https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-342055-Mouth-Bottle-1-Pint/dp/B003QRWRAA/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=16+oz+backpack+water+bottle&qid=1602365378&sr=8-13

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That certainly is a good way to sustain yourself while traveling campground to campground. I quit taking most food with me because I didn't want to put up with the bears and coons that are attracted to food. Then came freeze dried foods and that changed everything but I never started cooking in camp again. Finally before going to Spearfish this year I decided to resume cooking in camp (freeze dried meals). Unfortunately they were sold out of everywhere I looked.

So for my last few trips I packed a couple sandwiches and took some apples and carrots to snack on that got me by for a day or so. I never took an extended trip this year. So I'm planning double for next year. Trouble is I have no idea what the COVID situation will be next summer, but I'm not too optimistic. I think the freeze dried meals are a great option.

In my younger days I'd buy a stick of summer sausage, a brick of cheese, and a loaf of bread and that would last me most of a week. At one campground, when I went to the toilet in broad day-light, some 4-legged bandit took my groceries and wouldn't give them up. A lot of campgrounds have bear-proof lockers for food, but most folks just stay in their hard-wall campers and the poor bears are starving.

Another challenge is cooking in camp when the bugs are bad. I remember at a high camp in the mountains of Idaho when I got into camp a little late, I got my tent up, but the bugs got real bad as the sun set. I ended up running down the trail eating crackers for supper before diving into my tent for the night. There was frost the next morning and no mosquitos. THEN I cooked last nights supper. We have better repellants now but dealing with bugs can still be a game stopper. I've camped enough to know that it just isn't fun sometimes. We'll talk about bad weather later.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We have better repellants now but dealing with bugs can still be a game stopper. I've camped enough to know that it just isn't fun sometimes.
I was amazed during our trip to Alaska at how few bugs we had. I don't remember ever using insect repellant. I had bought one of those fancy hats with the netting and never used it. Not in the US, not in Canada, not in Alaska, no where. I think we were very lucky! :cool:

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Thankfully, bugs have not been any problem and you always have to be careful with food smells. Where we were in Utah, the only critters that would get your food were deer and squirrels.
There has been a shortage of freeze dried food this year. Chris and I stocked up (online) in early Spring when Cabelas had a sale.
I just purchased this from Costco: The store price was $68.99. The online price is $79.99, which includes shipping and handling.
These are the same pouches that are sold individually from $6 - $12 each with a 30 year self life.
Chris says the Lasagna is good. I tried one of the Granola meals with hot water (contains powdered milk and dried blueberries) and thought that it was pretty good. I prefer the granola to the scrambled eggs and bacon. The others?
At the worst, it makes for some emergency meals that will last longer than I. šŸ˜Š
https://www.costco.com/mountain-house-emergency-meal-kit-15-pouch-assortment.product.100642273.html
1602384029418.png

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The problem with that freeze dried stuff is sodium content... The way I see it, I can always stand to miss a meal once in a while lol...

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I think I am too soft and too lazy for camping anymore but I can sure see the attraction to it. It is great to get away from the sights and sounds of civilization.
Was sitting in the woods hunting a few days back as sunrise came. Nothing like the quiet and then the animals start to wake up, sing, and start moving around.
Way different than a Motel 6.

Brad

Bike
NT700va
I have found the JetBoil stove small, boils water in about 60 seconds and can be used to get the first coffee before anyone else. Part of stove incl a small pot/cup. When camping on the NT I use the following:

* Buy a gallon of distilled water to have to use (also safe) and throw away when leaving.
* A $8 rotisserie chicken at most grocery stores makes a quick and tasty meal
* Spam in the morning always tastes great - can add Rotel mixed with it and eggs is good.
* Tang makes a good sub for OJ
* Fried pies -especially the miniature ones sold at Walmart are a treat and can sub for lunch or desert
* Army metal canteen cups can be used for all sorts of things
* Folding Teflon 8" fry pans can double as plates and a great cooking pot
* Most state parks now sell firewood at very high prices. Easier and faster to use pressed logs. Now come in small sizes
* Treat yourself to a steak after a long day of riding. Usually one can find a good strip or tbone for 7-12$. Cooking
15 min typical and seems to taste better on trip Russ Foster/ NT700va Dallas, TX

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That certainly is a good way to sustain yourself while traveling campground to campground. I quit taking most food with me because I didn't want to put up with the bears and coons that are attracted to food. Then came freeze dried foods and that changed everything but I never started cooking in camp again. Finally before going to Spearfish this year I decided to resume cooking in camp (freeze dried meals). Unfortunately they were sold out of everywhere I looked.

So for my last few trips I packed a couple sandwiches and took some apples and carrots to snack on that got me by for a day or so. I never took an extended trip this year. So I'm planning double for next year. Trouble is I have no idea what the COVID situation will be next summer, but I'm not too optimistic. I think the freeze dried meals are a great option.

In my younger days I'd buy a stick of summer sausage, a brick of cheese, and a loaf of bread and that would last me most of a week. At one campground, when I went to the toilet in broad day-light, some 4-legged bandit took my groceries and wouldn't give them up. A lot of campgrounds have bear-proof lockers for food, but most folks just stay in their hard-wall campers and the poor bears are starving.

Another challenge is cooking in camp when the bugs are bad. I remember at a high camp in the mountains of Idaho when I got into camp a little late, I got my tent up, but the bugs got real bad as the sun set. I ended up running down the trail eating crackers for supper before diving into my tent for the night. There was frost the next morning and no mosquitos. THEN I cooked last nights supper. We have better repellants now but dealing with bugs can still be a game stopper. I've camped enough to know that it just isn't fun sometimes. We'll talk about bad weather later.
Cooking in the tent is something I do as a matter of course when I am car camping.....But I have also done it many days while bike camping. In my golden years, I prefer to just heat the water, in tent or out, and pour it into the pouch for breakfast or dinner. I usually add some protein in the pouch with the water.....chopped up turkey jerky, real bacon pieces, whatever.
a jim.JPG

This summer at 9,000 ft in the Big Horns and 40s....The pouch doubles as a hand warmer. Cleanup means throwing all the trash into the campground dumpster.
a mountain hourse.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The problem with that freeze dried stuff is sodium content... The way I see it, I can always stand to miss a meal once in a while lol...
Missing breakfast or Supper is not an option for me......I much prefer to eat out if possible, but motorcycle touring in the age of Covid means that at times, its prudent to not go to a restaurant. I will be doing a blurb about touring safety aka Covid in my Trip report about Utah.

Bike
2010 NT700V
SPAM. All you need in a sealed container. As soon as you park the bike/car/whatever, peel back the lid just a tad and set the can on something hot on or near the engine or exhaust. By the time the tent or camper is set up, you have a hot meal. I usually "borrow" a few catsup packets when I can.
Quick, easy, cheap.
Of course, if you don't like SPAM (something wrong with you!!!) a gas station jerky stick :unsure: will do.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
SPAM. All you need in a sealed container. As soon as you park the bike/car/whatever, peel back the lid just a tad and set the can on something hot on or near the engine or exhaust. By the time the tent or camper is set up, you have a hot meal. I usually "borrow" a few catsup packets when I can.
Quick, easy, cheap.
Of course, if you don't like SPAM (something wrong with you!!!) a gas station jerky stick :unsure: will do.
The current generation when they hear the word ā€œSPAMā€. They would immediately think of unwanted or solicited emails and/or text. šŸ¤£

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Spam ... the perfect camping food in the 60's for young campers! Eat it hot or cold. (Also DYI fried Spam on Wonder bread, Hmmm.)
Be careful with food smells around camp. A state ranger stopped to tell me about a camper bringing his new Harley home, put his leftover dinner steak in his pannier for a steak and egg camp breakfast. A bear partially disassembled his new motorcycle to have a midnight snack. :oops:

Emergency food like Sardines or Tuna does not take up much space. Bumble Bee makes small boxes of Chicken or Tuna Salad and crackers (nice lunch).

Bike
2010 NT700V
At home, I put slices of SPAM in a George Foreman grill. Accompany that with fried potatoes or a couple of fried egg. Breakfast, dinner or supper. Who cares?
Just remember to take those statins.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My father was a WWll vet. He served three years overseas fighting mostly in Asia. Apparently Spam was served daily and often three meals a day. He grew to detest it and preferred canned rations. Spam was not allowed in our home. After I became an adult and moved away I tried some and thought it was pretty good but of course I did not have to consume it daily. I think if I told him I had tried it he would have disowned me :)

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
After the war, SPAM saved many from starvation. It is still part of the menu in many parts of Asia.
I understand a vet's preference.
SPAM Sushi or SPAM Fried Rice, maybe.
1602786565785.png1602786681746.png

Bike
NT700va
I have sautƩed Spam with a little cheap wine and found it good. Putting syrup on it and frying it adds a caramel finish that is also good. I require all who attend and eat the Spam breakfast to sing the Spam song. A couple did not believe me and were not served. Since then, all sing. It is fair to note they do not buy, cook, clean up any of the breakfast so my one demand is reasonable. The bitch only came from riders of an old, leaky, poor braking motorcycle ilk so we NT'rs can understand.

Russ

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The current generation when they hear the word ā€œSPAMā€. They would immediately think of unwanted or solicited emails and/or text. šŸ¤£
What do you mean ā€œcurrent generationā€??? ?
Iā€™M STILL HERE!!!!!!

Spam got a lot of soldiers and sailors fed. Spam also got a lot of families through the depression. OK it has lots of fat and salt, but so does most junk food.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I was camping next to an RV at Oshkosh flyin and my nice neighbor (almost every camper at OSH is very nice) came around his RV and put a bowl of something in my hands and said, "Try this and tell me what you think is in it?" It was pretty darned good and he told me it was cubed pineapple, spam, cherry tomatos and a bit of BBQ sauce.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If you're ever near Austin MN, be sure to take the SPAM Museum tour.
Hummm....The Portugese Sausage or Turkey or Terioki Spam sounds interesting....I drive by there on my Way to Oshkosh ....Maybe I can convince Frosty to go too! We could load up his RV with
Spam.....spam.jpg

Top Bottom