Can the Shift Lever be fixed?

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Apparently my arthritic left ankle doesn't rotate the way it should. I have trouble getting my toe under the shift lever because it (the lever) doesn't stick out sideways far enough. I find myself shifting my butt to the left side of the seat so I can get my foot at a better angle to the lever in order change gears. I installed the MCL adjustable peg lowerers and that seems to have made it a bit worse. I just can't seem to "toe in" enough with my left foot, if you know what I mean. Can the shift lever be bent or otherwise adjusted away from the bike a little so I can reach it better with my foot? What is the proper way to safely do this? Or is there some sort of replacement lever or other mod that would help?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim, just put a big crescent wrench on the shift arm and bend gently right in front of the pivot. I've seen them get really mangled in a drop and be straightened with no apparent damage of loss of strength.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
From past experience, if you bend it on the bike, do it at home or the shop. That way if it breaks or binds up you don't have to call a tow truck.

I admit, I was bending one at almost 30 deg. At about 20 deg or so it broke. My fault entirely. And it was one of the old style that were cast steel. The NT is flat steel so should not be as prone to break.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You might try cutting off the round shaft under the rubber cover and having a longer one welded on in it's place.
or
Cut the round shaft off, drill a hole in the lever and put a bolt through the hole with nuts on both sides of the shaft to hold it in place (Locktight also).

After the longer rod is in place put two rubber covers on it to cover it up and go for a ride to try it out.

Brad

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And if you follow one of Brad's suggestions, automotive fuel line makes excellent rubber 'covers' for shift levers.

OP
OP
Pick
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
OK, I bent it out a little last night. As soon as the temperature drops below 100, I will take it out for a spin and see if it's any better. Thanks for your help!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think that I would take the rubber off the lever, find a piece if pipe--stainless or copper, put it over the existing end, and secure it with either a set screw or JB Weld. Then I would get a larger rubber for the lever--possibly a kick starter rubber. The length of the pipe will give you the "Toe Out" you need. I never liked bending things.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I think that I would take the rubber off the lever, find a piece if pipe--stainless or copper, put it over the existing end, and secure it with either a set screw or JB Weld. Then I would get a larger rubber for the lever--possibly a kick starter rubber. The length of the pipe will give you the "Toe Out" you need. I never liked bending things.
Yeah. I've had a number of cases where you bend something - once.

Top Bottom