Can you help an old, confused fellow?

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm about to leave on a four week, ten state trip, and so it's time to install the electrical connections for my tank bag and GPS. I have the manual, and have read it, but I seem to remember an excellent set of photos and hints for removing the plastic bits.

I did locate http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?90-Checking-the-valves/page6 which is helpful, although the emphasis is clearly on checking the valves. Am I simply mis-remembering, or is there a thread specifically about the step by step process of removing the "tupperware?"

Also, I have the Honda extension used to install heated grips (Honda 08A30-MEW-100 HARNESS), and although I don't plan to use it until next fall, I'm curious about what it connects to. I know it connects to a plug that it is taped to the right side of the faring, but my question is, "are there two switched pairs, or only one?'

My dealer told me that the harness will allow me to have heated grips and a power port. Could someone explain how that would work, since the part I have has only one plug on each end.

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm just curious before I take things apart tomorrow.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ken

There is only one unused accessory outlet (connector) under the fuel tank. Although I don't have the Honda heated grips, I assume it has only one connector then the wiring goes to the heat controller where it splits, with wires going to left and right sides. As far as I know the accessory outlet can only handle one item.

Most people use Powerlet brand (BMW-type) female and male connectors which are wired to the battery via a accessory fuse panel, with relay.

The service manual has an excellent one-page diagram that shows which plastic pieces have to be removed to
gain access to any particular point - and also the sequence in which they must be removed. If you do things out of sequence, it's possible to cause damage to some of the parts.

"are there two switched pairs, or only one?'

As Paul stated there are two pairs. One switched, one unswitched...

My dealer told me that the harness will allow me to have heated grips and a power port. Could someone explain how that would work, since the part I have has only one plug on each end.

Your dealer is wrong...unless they are in Europe. The European cable has two usable connectors for powering two devices, the heated grips and the Honda GPS. That European only Honda GPS also use the Pink wire Paul mentioned. In the North American market the wiring adapter was changed so that there is only one connector available for the heated grips...

You can modify the Honda wiring adapter to use both the switched and unswitched power, it is still there, it's just not accessible through the North American OEM connector...

The service manual has an excellent one-page diagram that shows which plastic pieces have to be removed to
gain access to any particular point - and also the sequence in which they must be removed.

Thanks. I saw that, but thought I remembered that someone had taken pictures of each step. Since I can't find it, I guess that it is another of the many things I thought I knew.

Four wires: Green = ground, Red/Green stripe = B+ (hot at all times), Black/Yellow stripe = ign switched power, Pink/Green stripe is, I believe, a speed sensor signal, but I'd have to verify that with an oscilliscope.

Just use G for ground, B/Y for your power supply.

Thanks. That info will be most helpful next Fall.

Your dealer is wrong

Not for the first, or I fear, the last time. He is a nice guy, and gave me a great price, but he will, apparently, make things up. Or, maybe he too thought he remembered something.

You can modify the Honda wiring adapter to use both the switched and unswitched power

I will certainly take advantage of this fact in the future; since my tank bag came with a wiring connector that will do everything I need at this point.

Thanks for your help.

Ken
still old, but now less confused

Last edited:
Well, the plastic fairly jumped off, and I now have power to my GPS and tank bag. However, I was unable to find the missing power cable. Could someone offer another hint about where I might expect to find it?

I had two people with small hands try, and I used my trusty mechanics mirror, but no luck. I don't really need to find it now, but at this point it is a personal quest.

Thanks,

Ken :confused:

Back
Top Bottom