Canadian NT Owner

My first bike in 40 years is the NT700v. I always wanted to get back to riding, I just never imagined it would take this long. Because the NT was never sold as a new bike on the Canadian side of the border, it was only by chance I stumbled across one. It ticked nearly all the boxes: not too big, an ergonomic fit, equipped with luggage and built for hours of continuous riding suitable for my cross country bucket list trip.
Fast forward a few weeks and a mis-step that cost me a riders foot rest peg and a the plastic triangular piece that covers the tip over bar. I went to my local Honda dealer for parts and mention the NT700v and they have no way of helping because their parts program has no information on this bike.
My questions are:
1) Are there other Canadians NT owners out there and, if so, how do you access parts without paying exorbitant shipping fees?
2) Which other models would have front foot rest pegs that would be compatable with a 2010 NT700v?
3) Are the ST1300 tip over covers the same size as the NTs?

Thanks!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You should be able to access part numbers from online retailers like bikebandit, partzilla or others. I would think your Honda dealers could help more than they did.
I don't know about about how your taxes/shipping fees work, that could be a problem.
Seems like we had another member from Canada at one time.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My first bike in 40 years is the NT700v. I always wanted to get back to riding, I just never imagined it would take this long. Because the NT was never sold as a new bike on the Canadian side of the border, it was only by chance I stumbled across one. It ticked nearly all the boxes: not too big, an ergonomic fit, equipped with luggage and built for hours of continuous riding suitable for my cross country bucket list trip.
Fast forward a few weeks and a mis-step that cost me a riders foot rest peg and a the plastic triangular piece that covers the tip over bar. I went to my local Honda dealer for parts and mention the NT700v and they have no way of helping because their parts program has no information on this bike.
My questions are:
1) Are there other Canadians NT owners out there and, if so, how do you access parts without paying exorbitant shipping fees?
2) Which other models would have front foot rest pegs that would be compatable with a 2010 NT700v?

Thanks!
Hello and Welcome 40-years-removed! Probably your best bet is to order from someone like Revzilla. That's where I get most of my parts.

I don't know which model you've got. Both of mine have been 2010 ABS models. Here's the link to Revzilla's parts fiche that shows the tip-over covers, "Cover, L. Engine Guard, 64360-MEW-920." Since they've got that "MEW" in the part number, they are not the same as the ST tip-over covers. They are the parts that are identified by the numbers 12 and 18 on the diagram. https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2010-honda-nt700-abs/middle-cowl?submodel=nt700vaac

This is the fiche that shows the foot rest pegs: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2010-honda-nt700-abs/step?submodel=nt700vaac

You'll notice that there are several parts that make up the foot peg. You can zoom in on the fiche to see which parts you need.

There may be pegs from other Honda bikes that will work. You could do a parts number search on Revzilla's site.

I don't know how much shipping would be, but it doesn't look like the parts themselves are very expensive. I'm impressed that you broke cheap things! I usually manage to break expensive stuff! :cool:

I didn't start riding until I was 55. My first bike was an '83 GL650i Silverwing, and then I had two '99 Kawasaki Concours before buying my first NT in March of '10. I rode that bike for 138K miles and figured I'd keep it till I either couldn't ride or it couldn't be ridden. But then this summer another forum member traded his slightly older '10 (13 serial numbers lower than my bike) for a Triumph 900GT Pro. I ended up riding my bike to Spokane and trading it for Joe's '10 NT that was equipped like almost exactly like mine including having been lowered. I've had six knee replacements and that's made my legs even shorter and stubbier. My new "older" NT only has 23,944 miles now after riding home from Spokane and four rides around Greeley, CO, my home town.

P9010381_01.JPG

This is my "new" NT; "Horse" is his name.

This is a great Forum. A lot of our members don't have NTs any more, but have built relationships that keep them hanging around here. There are some really sharp mechanics who know how to fix nearly anything. Feel free to ask questions and share opinions. What did you ride 40 years ago? In my not so humble opinion you couldn't have found a better bike to come back into riding, especially if you want to ride long distances.

My first NT (named Dudley) took me on five Iron Butt Association certificate rides, 4 Saddlesore 1000s (1000 miles in 24 hours), and a BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours). It also took me on my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador, a 21,000-miles, 80-day ride. I trust Horse will do as well or better.

OP
OP
Hello and Welcome 40-years-removed! Probably your best bet is to order from someone like Revzilla. That's where I get most of my parts.

I don't know which model you've got. Both of mine have been 2010 ABS models. Here's the link to Revzilla's parts fiche that shows the tip-over covers, "Cover, L. Engine Guard, 64360-MEW-920." Since they've got that "MEW" in the part number, they are not the same as the ST tip-over covers. They are the parts that are identified by the numbers 12 and 18 on the diagram. https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2010-honda-nt700-abs/middle-cowl?submodel=nt700vaac

This is the fiche that shows the foot rest pegs: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2010-honda-nt700-abs/step?submodel=nt700vaac

You'll notice that there are several parts that make up the foot peg. You can zoom in on the fiche to see which parts you need.

There may be pegs from other Honda bikes that will work. You could do a parts number search on Revzilla's site.

I don't know how much shipping would be, but it doesn't look like the parts themselves are very expensive. I'm impressed that you broke cheap things! I usually manage to break expensive stuff! :cool:

I didn't start riding until I was 55. My first bike was an '83 GL650i Silverwing, and then I had two '99 Kawasaki Concours before buying my first NT in March of '10. I rode that bike for 138K miles and figured I'd keep it till I either couldn't ride or it couldn't be ridden. But then this summer another forum member traded his slightly older '10 (13 serial numbers lower than my bike) for a Triumph 900GT Pro. I ended up riding my bike to Spokane and trading it for Joe's '10 NT that was equipped like almost exactly like mine including having been lowered. I've had six knee replacements and that's made my legs even shorter and stubbier. My new "older" NT only has 23,944 miles now after riding home from Spokane and four rides around Greeley, CO, my home town.

P9010381_01.JPG

This is a great Forum. A lot of our members don't have NTs any more, but have built relationships that keep them hanging around here. There are some really sharp mechanics who know how to fix nearly anything. Feel free to ask questions and share opinions. What did you ride 40 years ago? In my not so humble opinion you couldn't have found a better bike to come back into riding, especially if you want to ride long distances.

My first NT (named Dudley) took me on five Iron Butt Association certificate rides, 4 Saddlesore 1000s (1000 miles in 24 hours), and a BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours). It also took me on my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador, a 21,000-miles, 80-day ride. I trust Horse will do as well or better.

OP
OP

P9010381_01.JPG

Hey Phil,
Wow! Thanks for all the information and for reinforcing that my choice of bikes was suitable for my needs. If my, yet unnamed, NT can take me to half the places that Dudley took you, I'd be ecstatic. My NT is the red, non ABS model.
My previous bike was a 1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport. Small in comparison to the NT but something I would have graduated to a bigger bike from if marriage/children hadn't set set me on a different path.
Thanks for your help. I look forward to participating in future forum discussions.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Welcome Aboard and Greetings from SoCal. šŸ˜Ž

Getting a wife and having 2 kids did not stop me from riding. The oldest graduated from college this year and the second is in his second year. Plus 22 years with the same wife.

I've replaced a tipover bar plastic cover, it's only $7 US or so. You can find the US part number from online dealers like Partzilla or Partsfish, although I don't know a cheap way to get it.

OP
OP
You should be able to access part numbers from online retailers like bikebandit, partzilla or others. I would think your Honda dealers could help more than they did.
I don't know about about how your taxes/shipping fees work, that could be a problem.
Seems like we had another member from Canada at one time.

Brad
Thanks Brad!

Bike
2010 silver NT700
My questions are:

Thanks!
The only way you can buy parts in the US and not pay HST or duty, is to order them and have them shipped to a US address. If the parts are under $200 CDN, you can pick them up and stay one night in the US, and declare them at the border and pay nothing. Over $200 and up to $800 CDN, you need to stay in the US 2 nights. On top of that, most US retailers will only ship to the billing address on your credit card so you need to use PayPal. Of course with the border closed, you can't pick anything up. So you are basically screwed right now.
Today I ordered a backing plate for a rear disc brake on the back of my car. Shipping and duty was $15 on $121US item and there was no tax. This was off Amazon Canada. I bought an $80 US MP3 player off ebay a few weeks ago from a fellow in California. Shipping was $11 and duty was $8. There was no tax. My point being.....it may be more reasonable than you think to buy out the US and pay with Paypal.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
How would it work if I bought the parts and mailed them to you? Would you have to pay duty then?

OP
OP
Ah. The red ones go faster, dontcha know.

I have one. Red, non-ABS. I do kinda wish I had able to get ABS, but it's the glass half full. I've put about 7000 miles on mine and haven't really been in a situation where I missed it. Perhaps caution is part of it - I've had three bikes over the years with ABS, and two of them, I think I really, obviously needed it and activated it twice on two of them. Meantime, on something ten years old...my view is, it's more stuff to break.

I ride kinda like an old man, because that's what I am, kinda. Beyond that, there's the NT's road-hugging weight - at least on dry pavement, it keeps the rubber where it belongs.

You put riding aside about 1980? That's about when I started learning - 1984. On a 1972 Yamaha R5 - with DRUM brakes.

Try to stop fast from 90 (illegal) miles an hour with drums, and you'll think today's disk brakes, non-ABS, are miracle arrestors.

I think you'll be fine with it, if your provincial inspection doesn't flag you for not having Canada-required equipment for the year. I believe ABS is required for newer bikes up North?
Ah. The red ones go faster, dontcha know.

I have one. Red, non-ABS. I do kinda wish I had able to get ABS, but it's the glass half full. I've put about 7000 miles on mine and haven't really been in a situation where I missed it. Perhaps caution is part of it - I've had three bikes over the years with ABS, and two of them, I think I really, obviously needed it and activated it twice on two of them. Meantime, on something ten years old...my view is, it's more stuff to break.

I ride kinda like an old man, because that's what I am, kinda. Beyond that, there's the NT's road-hugging weight - at least on dry pavement, it keeps the rubber where it belongs.

You put riding aside about 1980? That's about when I started learning - 1984. On a 1972 Yamaha R5 - with DRUM brakes.

Try to stop fast from 90 (illegal) miles an hour with drums, and you'll think today's disk brakes, non-ABS, are miracle arrestors.

I think you'll be fine with it, if your provincial inspection doesn't flag you for not having Canada-required equipment for the year. I believe ABS is required for newer bikes up North?
I don't think ABS is mandatory up here. Before I stumbled upon my NT, I was looking at the NC750. The DCT version of the 2020 models included ABS where the manual version did not. I found that a little frustrating because if I had of went that route, a manual with ABS would have been ideal.
I love the fact that there are some older folk (such as myself) that are enjoying the NT. Happy riding!!

Top Bottom