Car theft trick?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am getting caught up on my Wall St Journels....
Monday, Jan 29th 2024
Once again, I am stuck in the 20th century.
Evidently, the African continent is home to 40 percent of the world's "used" cars.
Somehow, a gang can decypher the digital codes being sent out by keyless fobs, then make a device to duplicate that code and use that to steal the car. Then drive it into a container with other cars and ship the container to Africa where not alot of questions are asked.

This seems odd to me. Like a thief sees a family drive up to a restaurant , or grocery store...points an antenna at the driver, reads the code of the keyless fob, waits for the family to go into the store, then takes the car?
a car theft.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Somehow, a gang can decypher the digital codes being sent out by keyless fobs, then make a device to duplicate that code and use that to steal the car.
Often enough sufficient to pass by your front door to scan/spoof your key-fob laying open on the cupboard...
Metal key-enclosures are advised...

Last edited:
Reactions: JQL

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I am getting caught up on my Wall St Journels....
Monday, Jan 29th 2024
Once again, I am stuck in the 20th century.
Evidently, the African continent is home to 40 percent of the world's "used" cars.
Somehow, a gang can decypher the digital codes being sent out by keyless fobs, then make a device to duplicate that code and use that to steal the car. Then drive it into a container with other cars and ship the container to Africa where not alot of questions are asked.

This seems odd to me. Like a thief sees a family drive up to a restaurant , or grocery store...points an antenna at the driver, reads the code of the keyless fob, waits for the family to go into the store, then takes the car?
a car theft.jpg
I have read about some clever ones who also have the capability to "read" your garage door opener.........
:censored:
Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Disgusting. We used to shoot horse thrives and hang cattle rustlers.

One solution is to drive an old rusty pickup with 2 flat tires, some empty oil cans and a broken fan belt in the back. You can just leave your keys in it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
And technology was suppose to alleviate all these bad issues. Best to buy a 20 year old or older vehicle, spent the money to make it dependable and not have to worry about such things. The less tech in vehicles the better. Sure would like to have my old 1980 Ford F100 back. Straight 6 cylinder, Three on the tree, with AM FM cassette player, and ran forever with no issues. If it did break it was easily self repaired.

1980 Pickup.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You can still do that but you just have to ask about their feelings and make sure you don't offend them, once they stop squatting in your house...
I saw a blurb about a couple that went away on vacation and found squatters in their house with a fake lease when they came back....it was a mess to remove them. Its good to have good neighbors you know and can trust....I like the way Jim thinks.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
And technology was suppose to alleviate all these bad issues. Best to buy a 20 year old or older vehicle, spent the money to make it dependable and not have to worry about such things. The less tech in vehicles the better. Sure would like to have my old 1980 Ford F100 back. Straight 6 cylinder, Three on the tree, with AM FM cassette player, and ran forever with no issues. If it did break it was easily self repaired.

1980 Pickup.jpg
Single car garage? I am so old I remember when it was safe to park your vehicle on the street at night.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have read about some clever ones who also have the capability to "read" your garage door opener.........
:censored:
Mike
Another scam is to break into a car, take the garage door openner, look at the address on the registration, and go steal from the house. Penalties, if there are any, are light.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Another scam is to break into a car, take the garage door openner, look at the address on the registration, and go steal from the house. Penalties, if there are any, are light.
I never keep any info in my vehicles that have my address... just for that situation...

Even the Home location on the built in GPS is set to a nearby intersection a couple blocks away.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have been reading a lot lately about the homeless becoming squatters if they happen across your residence and you are not homw. Some of the tales have been truly horror stories about some states laws regarding squatters. Just for funsies, I looked up Missouri law regarding squatters. According to Missouri law, squatters have no rights whatsoever. If you find people on your property without your explicit permission, they are trespassers and if they refuse to leave your property when asked, they will be removed by law enforcement. Additionally, Missouri has the "Castle Doctrine" in which you can legally use deadly force if you feel that your life is threatened by anyone on your property without permission. It's nice to know that the law favors the property owner rather than the squatter.

Mike

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The problem is that in many states, if squatters are living there when you are away, they qualify for renter legal protections. When you return and call the police, they will respond and tell you that it a civil matter. You will prevail in court but months to get a date and $$$. Good luck with any damage and missing property. Florida is just in the process of making squatting a criminal offense, so the police can act.

Former NY'er at breakfast said attorney recommended to give squatters money to leave which was cheaper than going to court. Law makers and city councils are more interested in protecting renters than property owners.

Reactions: ett
Anyone that forces their way into my home sounds pretty threatening to me. I’d take care of it out of fear for my safety and call the police after the problem was taken care of.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I never keep any info in my vehicles that have my address... just for that situation...

Even the Home location on the built in GPS is set to a nearby intersection a couple blocks away.
Its a bit of a sticky wicket for me. All my vehicles of course must have lic / reg/ insurance info in them as they will be asked for at any traffic stop. While all info is referenced back to a PO box, there is of course my name on them. Only one car in my collection has a garage door opener, although I am now told that the push buttons on the mirror of new cars can be programed to open your garage door. Its not a bad idea to hide lic and insurance cards in the car and tell the officer who stops you where they are and its gonna look funny when you reach under the dash for them. At the end of the day, its pretty easy to break into any home without an alarm system. That reminds me I have to check and see if the door bell works. Usually, the doggies are the door bell.
My dogs when my wife is at home.
1712808476030.png

Top Bottom