Carrying Water

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Carrying water on my bicycles is not an issue--but where do you put your water Bottle (s) on a motorcycle. Bicycle water bottles leak--so tank Bag and Saddlebag is out. The only water bottles that don't leak are the sealed ones you get in a store for a ridiculous price. Does anyone know of a brand of water bottle that can be put into a tank bag?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The only water bottles that don't leak are the sealed ones you get in a store for a ridiculous price.
I have two bottles I "reload" and put on both sides of my tank bag in the smaller side pockets. Someday I'll get one of those fancy bladders and hose get ups... I also often carry an old big Stanley Stainless Steel thermos loaded with coffee in my right saddlebag...

Bike
Silver NT700V
I use a small thermos. It is a steel one and well insulated. has not leaked but the top can sweat. Haven't figured how to drink while under way yet.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I haven't tryed them but there are cup holders that mount to the handlebars. It would be out in the elements more (Heat) but it stays upright so leakage would not be a problem.

Brad

elizilla

I prefer to drink air temperature water, so I don't worry about keeping it cold. Too much cold water sometimes gives me a stomachache, on a hot day, so I can't drink it as fast. Also cold water bottles will sweat in your tank bag and get your other stuff as wet as if they had leaked. I have a couple of those Camelback water bladders that I use on trips, and I don't have too much trouble with the bite valves. The secret trick to keep them from getting nasty when stored, is to store them empty in the freezer.

When I'm not covering long distances, I just re-use random water bottles from the convenience store, or buy new ones. I haven't had trouble with leaks, and there's no condensation when they aren't cold. I don't drink from them while riding. The difficult part, when I have to buy new water bottles, is that it's hard to get one that isn't refrigerated. :(

Another way I have seen people carry water, that looks effective, is to strap a thermos or other jug on the passenger seat, or on the footpeg, and run a tube like the ones used for camelbacks.

If you are using a camelback and like your water cold, the trick is to blow back into the tube when you are finished with your drink, so the water doesn't sit in the tube and get warm.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I carry a 2-liter Camelback bladder on the left side of my Bags Connection City tank bag. I also carry an insulated cup at the very back of the bag and have a thermos in the trunk. Coffee stays hot to warm for nearly an hour in the cup. And like Katherine, I don't drink ice-water very much.

I've never had any trouble with the 90-degree bite valves that Camelback has on their products.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I stopped carrying the camelback. For me it was just too big a pain to use. I stop often, about every hour, so I just drink when I stop. I carry 3 or 4 water bottles in the tank bag but usually just buy one at the gas stations or where I stop. Refill at night in the hotel or campground (if there is good water).

ken45

Look into good quality polyethylene quart water bottles at a backpacking store. I've had some for 30 years and they never leaked. Or a liter lab bottle.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A plain old canteen should work as well. A set of the 2 quart "jungle" style canteens hung / slung as gas tank panniers would provide plenty of accessible water. Wet down the inside of the cases and the water stays fairly cool through evaporation cooling...

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks for the information. I think that I will clean the junk out of my Tank Bag and make room for two water bottles.

Top Bottom