Catalytic converter

honestdoc

Has anyone tried removing their catalytic converter? I have a 2011 NT700. I believe it is located in the pipe just forward of the muffler.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Honestdoc, welcome to the Forum. Why don't you introduce yourself to us? Tell us something about your riding history, where you live, how long you've had your NT, etc.

As far as your question about removing the catalytic converter, I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that. My question would be simple: "Why?" I think if you did, you'd probably need to find some way to adjust the mixture to balance the change in the exhaust pressure (or something like that).

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Yes, the converter is the bulge in the exhaust pipe ahead of the muffler. On a engine as small as the NT, the back pressure of a converter is negligible. The ECM calibration still takes this into account. You may run into driveability problems if you remove the converter, keep in mind everything is designed to work as a system. Personally, I like clean air, and would not remove emissions equipment on any modern car, truck, motorcycle. Just my 2 cents.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Why do you want to remove it? If you think some performance is lost in the CAT you'd probably be disappointed after removal because it'll probably run worse than when it was standard.

Bike
2010 NT700V
If you're chasing performance, you got the wrong bike for that. :LOL: The biggest gain would be to shed 160 pounds by selling the NT700 and get a 650 Hawk instead.

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
If you're chasing performance, you got the wrong bike for that. :LOL: The biggest gain would be to shed 160 pounds by selling the NT700 and get a 650 Hawk instead.
You got the weight savings right going with the 650 Hawk GT but The NT700 puts out 15 or more HP, So lets put The NT 700 into the 650 Hawk GT Bike!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You would have the drive issue to deal with it you wanted to swap engines.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
You got the weight savings right going with the 650 Hawk GT but The NT700 puts out 15 or more HP, So lets put The NT 700 into the 650 Hawk GT Bike!
I have a 1988 Hawk which I have had since new. The Hawk has a motor with a really flat torque curve....much like a cruiser. It is way underpowered for the fame it is in. The 700 is slower off the line but much more lively up top. The 700 motor would be a big improvement in the Hawk.

OP
OP

honestdoc

Honestdoc, welcome to the Forum. Why don't you introduce yourself to us? Tell us something about your riding history, where you live, how long you've had your NT, etc.

As far as your question about removing the catalytic converter, I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that. My question would be simple: "Why?" I think if you did, you'd probably need to find some way to adjust the mixture to balance the change in the exhaust pressure (or something like that).
Guess I should introduce myself. I'm a retired dentist and under normal circumstances, my wife and I spend November thru May at our home in Jupiter, FL. and June thru October at our home on Oneida Lake in upstate New York. Currently own 3 motorcycles-Honda NT700(2) and a Yamaha FJR1300. Keep one of the NTs(2011) in Florida and the other bikes in NY. Have been riding for over 25 years including across the US twice.
The reason I asked about the catalytic converter removal is because the previous owner of the FJR removed both cats. Bike sounds great and runs very well with no remapping. Just wondered if anyone has done it on an NT700. Looks like it will require cutting a window in the pipe, busting out the cat and rewelding the hole.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, so, it won't be terribly simple. But I still wonder, WHY?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well, so, it won't be terribly simple. But I still wonder, WHY?
I'm guessing so that it sounds sexier. The NT has, to many ears a rather bland exhaust note. I like the sound just fine, but to some folks it doesn't sound like a motorcycle. To each his own.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Like you Mike, I don't think a motorcycle needs to make a distinctive exhaust note. On a long trip, any additional noise can be tiring so I much prefer a quiet motorcycle. :cool:

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I agree that on longer rides a quiet exhaust is far better.
I have ridden in groups and have at times had to drop back from the bike in front of me as the booming exhaust was unbearable.

Macka

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm guessing so that it sounds sexier. The NT has, to many ears a rather bland exhaust note.
I didn't buy the NT for an exhaust note. Besides, adding a menacing growl to a sun-bleached prone tupperware container on wheels named after a French seaside resort just screams identity crisis. Much like HOG riders dressing up like outlaws while sporting thin blue line flag stickers.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Like you Mike, I don't think a motorcycle needs to make a distinctive exhaust note. On a long trip, any additional noise can be tiring so I much prefer a quiet motorcycle. :cool:
I think that those of us who routinely ride long distances are in general agreement that quiet is good.

Mike

Welcome to the forums, Doc!

I have a burning suspicion that NT without cat is going to sound like a louder, slightly angrier sewing machine. :ROFLMAO:

But personally, I'd pay money to make my bike quieter, not louder! Most of the noise if from a top end anyway.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I think that those of us who routinely ride long distances are in general agreement that quiet is good.

Mike

That isn't possible on my other bike. The cam gear train is so loud, that at highway speeds the sound of the aftermarket can fades away and you just hear gear whine.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have forgotten what your other bike is NewTo700V, if I ever knew, but that noise would not suit me at all.
That is one of the things (quietness) that I really like about the NT.
At our legal highway speeds it is quiet, smooth, comfortable and economical.
What better way to travel?

Macka

Top Bottom