CB700SC Question

spacetiger

An oldie (1984) but a goodie. I have been busy working on it to try to bring this into the 21st century.

Can anyone spot what it now has in common with the NT700V?

Jerry

Attachments

OP
OP

spacetiger

No it is stock, but you are close Phil.

There are 4 components from a 2010 NT on this bike. I bought the parts new. Although you can see all of them technically, you really only will notice 3 of them in the posted pic.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

spacetiger

Wheels, rotors, and.....
Builtdesign,

Good eye, the 4 parts are the front, rear wheels, and the 2 front rotors.

Woodaddict,

The front suspension is from a VTR1000. Like the NT700V, it too has 296mm discs but uses dual 4 pot fixed calipers. If you do not have ABS on your NT, you might be able to swap your forks over to the VTR forks and switch over to fixed calipers too.

I just posted this so you knew why there was a run on wheels (there are a few guys watching how the project turns out and may try this too). Who knew Honda design engineering was such that a 2010 wheel could just bolt up to a 1984 bike...

Jerry

OP
OP

spacetiger

What is the advantage to putting NT wheels on the PC?
elizilla,

The PC has a 17" front and a 15" rear wheel. Getting good tires for the PC are VERY limited. Basically you are left with cruiser tires because of the 15" rear wheel.

The NT650V or NT700V wheels will bolt up with minor adjustments. Since they are 17" front and back, you can put a set on and get set of modern radial tires on the bike. I think its one of those mods you can make that will really transform the ride/handling of the bike.

And it makes your bike just a little different. Call it another farkle... :super:

Jerry

OP
OP

spacetiger

I had a new 1989 PC800 and I would rather have it than my 2010 NT. The NT's fuel injection is the only thing I'd like a new PC to have. Or put the entire PC engine and drivetrain in the NT and that would add more power and torque, cut down on noise and the infamous buzz and eliminate having to worry about adjusting valves on the NT as the PC's are hydraulic.

Oh well, there are quite a few bikes in my past that I'd like to have again!

Sam:)
Sam,

Say its not true! I think the NT is a very good bike. I would probably replace my PC with one (with ABS) if something ever happened to my PC.

Jerry

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I had a new 1989 PC800 and I would rather have it than my 2010 NT. The NT's fuel injection is the only thing I'd like a new PC to have. Or put the entire PC engine and drivetrain in the NT and that would add more power and torque, cut down on noise and the infamous buzz and eliminate having to worry about adjusting valves on the NT as the PC's are hydraulic. Sam:)
A big +1 on that!!! I first saw a brochure and '89 PC800 in 1990. I said that is a bike I need! Couldn't get one until 1998 when I bought a new 1996. The brochure was a double new designs of the 1989 PC800 & 1989 ST1100. Both were new engine and bike configuations with new innovations. One is what Sam mentioned about hydralic lifters, great idea, no need to bother checking them. So when Honda comes up with new technology, why don't they pass in along in the next years?? Got to save that money. That is the perfect thing I would want too, just make the PC800 engine into a throttle body fuel injection an option for the NT in 2013! and I'll just buy another one!
The ST1100/1300 to me is a piece of art, no other bike that I know of has the V-4 engine in that configuration(and that degree of V), that is perfect to put the power to the tire. Would have liked to have this bike, but out of my price range. Oh well, I'm getting older, kids are slowly moving out, maybe i'll have more money to get a CanAm Sypder for long travels.

OP
OP

spacetiger

Got her out today 1st time in 5 months. Will need to invest a weekend to get the new suspension dialed in. Some more mechanical things to sort out, then on to the cosmetic makeover perhaps in time for spring next year.

Jerry

Attachments

Top Bottom