Cee Bailey's Customer Service

Bike
'10 nt700v red
I was returning from a day trip and was a few miles from home when my windshield broke. When it broke off it struck me in the face, which in retrospect was a bit comical, but not a the time. It just stuck to my face until I threw it away. When I left on this trip there were small cracks radiating from the bolt holes, which probably indicated that they were too tight. These cracks continued to grow until they reached the edge of the windshield. That's when I should have stopped, but I thought I could make it home. I was wrong. This windshield was about three months old and at the time of the installation I did not have an small in./lb. torque wrench. There is no doubt that this was probably and most likely caused by the installer, me. I called Cee Bailey to find out if this was common, of course they said it isn't. I did not ask nor did I expect a replacement. The person in customer service stated that they would replace it and put me in touch Jose in sales. Jose told me to forward a photo of the broken windshield and that they would replace it. Today I received it. When I bought my NT about four months I bought a Shoei open face helmet because I have never liked a full coverage helmet. My 45 year old son said that this was a mistake. He has never said "I told you so", but he really doesn't have to. I am a slow learner and now I am the proud owner of a Shoei Hornet helmet, which should fit my needs quite nicely. Sorry for the length of this thread, but I didn't know how to make it shorter.
John

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Great story John and not the first time someone has reported on the good customer service from Cee Bailey.

Good to hear you were not seriously injured too.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 nt700v red
Great story John and not the first time someone has reported on the good customer service from Cee Bailey.

Good to hear you were not seriously injured too.
Thanks-Things can almost always be worse-John

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Ouch, I'm glad you weren't injured in that one! My experiences with Cee Bailey have all been positive. When my 1st Generation NT windshield had fitment issues Cee Bailey immediately replaced it with a new 2nd Generation version at no cost to me. I have found Joe in Cee Bailey's Tech Support to be an excellent resource.

A little background for the new folks: The original Cee Bailey NT design (1st Generation) hit the mirror stalks and the optional Honda Wind Deflectors on some bikes. The windshield was redesigned, and a Reverse Curve or "flip" option was added, in the 2nd Generation now sold. That resolved the fitment issues although we still have reports of cracking, as John reported, in some windshields. Some folks, like Phil, have had multiple Cee Bailey windshields crack and fail which makes me wonder if it is the windshield itself or if the Honda windshield bracket on their NT is slightly out of spec causing the failure. It seems odd that some bikes seem to have recurring windshield issues while others do not...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
'10 nt700v red
Ouch, I'm glad you weren't injured in that one! My experiences with Cee Bailey have all been positive. When my 1st Generation NT windshield had fitment issues Cee Bailey immediately replaced it with a new 2nd Generation version at no cost to me. I have found Joe in Cee Bailey's Tech Support to be an excellent resource.

A little background for the new folks: The original Cee Bailey NT design (1st Generation) hit the mirror stalks and the optional Honda Wind Deflectors on some bikes. The windshield was redesigned, and a Reverse Curve or "flip" option was added, in the 2nd Generation now sold. That resolved the fitment issues although we still have reports of cracking, as John reported, in some windshields. Some folks, like Phil, have had multiple Cee Bailey windshields crack and fail which makes me wonder if it is the windshield itself or if the Honda windshield bracket on their NT is slightly out of spec causing the failure. It seems odd that some bikes seem to have recurring windshield issues while others do not...
I guess we'll see. I took my time installing my new one, 5 in./lbs. Even when everything is right the brackets do seem loose.
John

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John, I don't think the brackets should be loose. My first CeeBailey was loose enough that it rattled. I put shims in between the mounting bolts and the screen. The mounting bolts have a shoulder that keeps them from being too tight, but the screen has to be the right thickness. My second screen was a snug fit and it's breaking had nothing to do with CeeBailey's product. My kickstand sank into the soft asphalt in our hospital parking lot --- three times in one day. On one of the falls, it hit a vehicle next to it and that's what broke it.

The one I've got now seemed to fit fine, but a crack started out of the upper hole on the right side. I stop-drilled it and the crack didn't spread any farther for about six months. Then between San Antonio and Houston, the crack spread out about another inch. I stop-drilled it while I was at my brother-in-law's house in Houston on the Four Corners Ride part of my Epic Post-Retirement Ride. It hasn't spread any further since then.

Stop drilling is putting a small hole at the very end of the crack (I think we drilled a 3/64" hole and then re-drilled it to 1/16".

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I helped by Jose in July while enroute to Spearfish. He was very helpful and accommodating. My CeeBailey +2 cracked just west of Glacier NP. I removed the windshield and taped both sides with duck tape and reinstalled. My interest was getting a replacement windshield before it broke completely. I did not expect them to replace it under warranty, but they did. They do not normally keep these in inventory but build them as they are ordered. Jose expedited mine and sent it to Spearfish. Great customer service.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 nt700v red
John, I don't think the brackets should be loose. My first CeeBailey was loose enough that it rattled. I put shims in between the mounting bolts and the screen. The mounting bolts have a shoulder that keeps them from being too tight, but the screen has to be the right thickness. My second screen was a snug fit and it's breaking had nothing to do with CeeBailey's product. My kickstand sank into the soft asphalt in our hospital parking lot --- three times in one day. On one of the falls, it hit a vehicle next to it and that's what broke it.

The one I've got now seemed to fit fine, but a crack started out of the upper hole on the right side. I stop-drilled it and the crack didn't spread any farther for about six months. Then between San Antonio and Houston, the crack spread out about another inch. I stop-drilled it while I was at my brother-in-law's house in Houston on the Four Corners Ride part of my Epic Post-Retirement Ride. It hasn't spread any further since then.

Stop drilling is putting a small hole at the very end of the crack (I think we drilled a 3/64" hole and then re-drilled it to 1/16".
The four bolts are tight and snugged down. The looseness is in the adjusting mechanism, can this be tightened?
John

Top Bottom