CeeBailey Crack

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My +4" CeeBailey cracked while I was riding to Texas for my ex-mother-in-law's funeral last Thursday. I was on the Cimmaron Turnpike about 50-60 miles NW of Tulsa. I was running the speed limit, 75mph and riding pretty much straight into a strong wind (35-45mph?). When I first noticed it, which must have been fairly soon after it started, I had a 4" long crack centered on the upper inside corner of the left-side (from the saddle) mounting bracket. As I rode, it spread within 15-20 minutes to the left edge of the screen, and then over the next 30-40 minutes, arced down to the center between the two brackets. Both sides were still bolted on, but the big piece flopped back toward me and probably would have broken pretty soon.

I stopped at a convenience store and bought some genuine imitation duct tape. 120 miles later, on the Indian Nations Turnpike, that was peeling off the windshield. I stopped again and learned that they carried the same great stuff. There was a highway patroman there and I asked him if he carried duct tape in his emergency kit. He didn't. But the store had something called "Nashua Tape," which is silvery, impossible to tear, and backed by a blue vinyl strip to keep it from sticking it to itself.

The patrolman had a knife that would cut it and fingernails that would peel the backing off. He ended up taping the screen back together while I held the tape and threw away the backing. His tape job lasted till Wichita on the way back. Before leaving Wichita, I retaped the screen and that job lasted the rest of the way home (including 84 miles on a trailer behind a Suburban).

I talked to CeeBailey today. I had bought this screen from them on September 29, and Tom told me he was sure they would replace it, but they needed an explanation of what had happened and pictures. I sent that to them and got a response that said I'd hear their decision soon.

I expect a replacement.

Here are pictures, so you can see where the crack was. It didn't start in a mounting hole, which is what I would have expected. You may remember that this area of the screen seemed slightly thinner. When the mounting bolt snugged down, there was a teensy bit of looseness. I took somebody's suggestion (it might have been Katherine) to shim it with a couple of layers of material from a nitrile work glove. That seemed to eliminate all the looseness, so I don't know if it contributed to this failure.

Here are some pix:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Phil,

That's where I'd expect it to crack. The top of the bracket is where the stress point is, not at the bolt holes. I have toyed with the idea of putting an additional plate back there to ease the stress across a larger area, but, have not seen a problem with mine yet.

How many miles do you have with that screen? Mine is at just over 4000miles now.

PS Nashua tape is what I use when I can find it. They also make a higher than avg quality duct tape.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie, I probably had about 6,000 miles when it broke. I put 27,000 or so on the first one and it broke when the bike fell over onto a vehicle after I'd parked it on asphalt that got soft as the day warmed up.

taldric

I just replaced my CB+2 with a new CB+6 (hey, I'm tall), so I have my CB+2 available for sale! This is the same CB+2 that I bought from SeattleJim (here on the forum) last year. I put about 10K miles on it last year. It isn't perfect, but it is still in VERY good condition. You want it?

And I'm really glad it didn't cause any unrecoverable issues for you!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, thanks for the offer, but if they replace my +4" (and I think they will), I'd rather have that than the +2".

taldric

I'm going to agree with Rick here. The CeeBailey +2 I used last year was great. I bought it used from SeattleJim, then I used it for over 10,000 miles. I took it off last night (to install a CB+6) and I can't find any issues with the screen that wasn't my own fault (I dropped it before installing it last year) or due to normal wear from dirt, dust, rocks, and bugs hitting the screen. No stress cracks, no cracks at all, no discoloration, etc. I found the CB+2 replacement screen made a huge difference to my riding. I am fairly tall (6' 1", 32" inseam) so my head was well above the bubble with the stock windshield. The CB+2 was almost perfect, but the top half of my helmet was still in the wind stream and was noisy. I could tell that just dropping my head a couple inches made a lot of difference in the noise level, so I decided a larger CB was the right answer.

Personaly, I can't find any fault with my experience with the CB company or product, and most of the on-line feedback here has been quite positive. Obviously I just bought another screen from them, so I think they are great.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Taldric,

I just sent you a P.M.

Eldon,
503-989-0371

I'm going to agree with Rick here. The CeeBailey +2 I used last year was great. I bought it used from SeattleJim, then I used it for over 10,000 miles. I took it off last night (to install a CB+6) and I can't find any issues with the screen that wasn't my own fault (I dropped it before installing it last year) or due to normal wear from dirt, dust, rocks, and bugs hitting the screen. No stress cracks, no cracks at all, no discoloration, etc. I found the CB+2 replacement screen made a huge difference to my riding. I am fairly tall (6' 1", 32" inseam) so my head was well above the bubble with the stock windshield. The CB+2 was almost perfect, but the top half of my helmet was still in the wind stream and was noisy. I could tell that just dropping my head a couple inches made a lot of difference in the noise level, so I decided a larger CB was the right answer.

Personaly, I can't find any fault with my experience with the CB company or product, and most of the on-line feedback here has been quite positive. Obviously I just bought another screen from them, so I think they are great.

rcase13

Phil what thickness is your screen? Is it the later thicker model? Also what level do you normally have it at?

I am in love with the smoked +2. I just need to free up some cash. It seems I owe uncle Sam this year so it might have to wait.

I usually look over the windshield when I ride. I just prefer this to looking through the windshield. But sometimes you have to look through the windshield. Can you easily see through the smoked CB windshields?

On the Cal Sci I would say that they have been around a long time and I have never heard anything bad about them.

Just in the realm of being contrary:

One thought-you will notice that a lot of these companies are not recommending their shields be set at the highest level. Probably a good reason for this. As the shield gets higher it is creating a lever effect on the mounts. And these shields do flex. I remember long years ago passing a semi a little too close on my Pacific Coast. Kinda forgot the little maxium that a high profile vehicle into a headwind increases its wake and there was quite a wind that day. My windshield flexed back so severely that it almost hit my faceshield. So I am not surprised that the failure occured at speed into a severe headwind. Now the issue of whether it should have failed I leave to others. I have the original CB at plus 2 mounted at the highest setting. Good so far after 20k but I am aware of not getting to quick in headwinds.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Can you easily see through the smoked CB windshields?
I have a light smoke +2 and looking through it is like looking through sunglasses or a tinted shield as far as darkness. I always look over, not through the windshield as well...but even so something really close, seen through the windshield, could be misinterpreted through a dark tint... For that reason I would not recommend the dark smoke tint if you are ever going to want to ride looking through it...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My screen was the "thicker," but there is some variation. The upper left-hand mounting hole area was thin enough that the Honda shoulder bolt did not quite clamp the screen. There was (scientific term alert!) a teensy bit of movement which I took out by shimming with a couple of layers of nitrile work glove material.

I almost always ride with my +4" screen in the first notch down from the top.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
One thought-you will notice that a lot of these companies are not recommending their shields be set at the highest level. Probably a good reason for this. As the shield gets higher it is creating a lever effect on the mounts
The "lever effect" is a function of the pressure on the windshield. Since the entire windshield is fully exposed on the NT (it doesn't insert into the motorcycle as it is lowered) when it is fully lowered, the pressure is the same on the windshield at fully lowered and fully raised. Think of it this way. If you put your hand out a car window facing the wind at 60mph the force on your hand will be the same if you lower or raise your hand. Therefore the force on the windshield mounts should be the same if the shield is up or down. But, the entire motorcycle has a larger surface area exposed to the air as you raise your windshield making the motorcycle need more power to maintain a constant speed, but the exposed surface area of the windshield does not change as you raise the windshield. As you raise your shield, more of the front of the NT is exposed creating more force on the front of the NT.

There would some change it force on the windshield as it is lowered due to the fairing directly behind that would reduce the low pressure area. Not sure how much, but I cant be significant compared to force caused by the wind on the front of the screen.

Motopilot

Aren't the screens made out of plexi? Same stuff as our airplane canopies. It shrinks when it gets cold, which we have to think about when flying high in the winter. The screw holes we drill when building are a bit oversize to allow for the change in size. If there isn't room to shrink, canopy cracks form right at the holes and run up the canopy. It usually happens near the back where the amount of movement is the greatest.
I would expect the mounting holes to be a bit oversize or oblong to allow for some expansion and contraction. If not, getting a crack there is very possible if you are riding in cold weather. There are also many substances which will cause cracks in plexi... such as locktite.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
No loctite ever touched this screen. It had been ridden for close to 200 miles in temps ranging from 10-20F (or to more accurate from 20F to 10F) the night before, but I don't think that had any part in the crack. It was about 54F when the crack happened. And the crack didn't touch the mounting holes ... was probably 1/2" away from the nearest.

The "lever effect" is a function of the pressure on the windshield. Since the entire windshield is fully exposed on the NT (it doesn't insert into the motorcycle as it is lowered) when it is fully lowered, the pressure is the same on the windshield at fully lowered and fully raised. Think of it this way. If you put your hand out a car window facing the wind at 60mph the force on your hand will be the same if you lower or raise your hand. Therefore the force on the windshield mounts should be the same if the shield is up or down. But, the entire motorcycle has a larger surface area exposed to the air as you raise your windshield making the motorcycle need more power to maintain a constant speed, but the exposed surface area of the windshield does not change as you raise the windshield. As you raise your shield, more of the front of the NT is exposed creating more force on the front of the NT.

There would some change it force on the windshield as it is lowered due to the fairing directly behind that would reduce the low pressure area. Not sure how much, but I cant be significant compared to force caused by the wind on the front of the screen.
I should clarify. Any increase in the height of the windshield by raising the mounting positions probably has not a great deal of effect on the flexing at the mounting bolt though I also felt that the front end felt heavier as I raised the stock shield. I suggest this is caused by some wind deflection by the fairing which decreases as the shield is raised. I am more concerned about a lever effect by getting a taller windshield which most of us do. This IMHO does increase the flexing at the bolt mounts and could have an effect.

taldric

I do agree that full windshield is in the wind stream the entire time, however the NT screen changes angle pretty considerably from the full up to the one-stop down and again to the two-stop down (from my recollection - too lazy to go out and check it again). That change in angle will significantly change the forces on the screen. Stick your hand out of a car window at 60 MPH with the back of your hand at a right angle to the ground, then rotate it so that the bottom of your hand is slightly forward of the top of your hand and you will realize that a great deal of the force on your hand from the wind is gone. Lowering your windshield one or two steps will change the amout of force and the angles of those forces.

Top Bottom