CeeBailey Crack

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I do agree that full windshield is in the wind stream the entire time, however the NT screen changes angle pretty considerably from the full up to the one-stop down and again to the two-stop down (from my recollection - too lazy to go out and check it again). That change in angle will significantly change the forces on the screen.
Agreed, the shield does become more vertical as it is raised. That would definately increase pressure on it. Good observation.

I've got a thin +2 CB shield in my garage, and the thick replacement +4 CB shield mounted. When I had the thin one mounted for a short time I had to shim it get tight shoulder bolts. It would visiable wobble, flex, and generally scare the He** out of me at 60+ mph. The thicker shield mounts tight and I have somewhere near 6000 miles on it. I have no reservations about going 60+mph (been up to 90 in WY desert, not a speed demon), it doesn't wobble, flex, or even scare me when a trucker goes by on a 2 lane highway.

I would buy another CB shield today, and I would be sure it is thick and mounts tightly.

taldric

I've had my CB+2 over 100 for short periods and never once did I feel it was in any way unable to handle the stress. I might have been a little uncomfortable, but the CB never worried me at all!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
First, the CalSci

I had a +5.5" Cal Sci for something like 3000miles. Cal Sci advertises that their shield are meant to be sized and used in the lower two positions on the bike and I can say that is true. If you raise it to the upper positions the vent hole becomes useless and the 'wings' no longer shield the hands. I ended up covering the vent hole for most of the time I had it. I rode most of the time with it in the middle position. It also does not have a compound curve to it so it does not deflect the air the same as the stock or CB types. It also narrows considerably toward the top. Last, the 'wings' on the side won't work with the Honda hand deflectors.

It was an OK screen and for me was way better than stock. I like the screen to be just above chin level most of the time. The claim of smoother airflow just did not happen for me.

When my CalSci was damaged I bought a CB +6. I like it a lot better. I still ride with the screen in the middle position most of the time. The part I like about the CB is the compound curve, which puts the screen closer to me. The 'flip' works and does not make more turbulence for me than the Cal Sci. But, that may not be true for a passenger (I never ride with a passenger so can't tell whether it is good or not).

Size does matter on the NT, mainly because of the change in angle of the screen as it is raised. That is why I like the taller screens is because at the heights I like, they are still angled quite a bit, which makes better sense to me than to have a shorter screen and ride with it almost vertical all the time.

The failure point on these screens will be at the point shown on Phil's. The mounting bolt location will NOT be a stress factor for two reasons. First, the force on the shield is acting as a lever at the upper end of the bracket (where Phil's cracked). Second, the plate that the screws go through is the part that is taking all the stress. It spreads the stress out on the front part of the shield. The bolts could be very loose and a steady force would not cause any problems at the bolt holes.

As for turbulence and flexing of the shield. The +6 does flex a lot. As does the stock screen, at least for me. When I am in a 30-40mph wind, at 80mph, with semis on either side, the turbulence is pretty bad. When I first got the bike I thought the stock screen was going to get ripped off it flexed so much. The +5.5 CalSci and +6 CB flex a bit more in those circumstances. In 'normal' riding they don't flex much at all. Even at 90mph there isn't much bend to them. It is only in the high speed buffeting around trucks that things get weird.

If my +6 breaks, then I will get another one, same size. But, will modify the mounting plate to spread the load a bit more.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Got an email from CeeBailey this morning. Tom says, "Phil, we're going to make you a no-charge replacement for your cracked windsheild. It will ship in 5-7 days."

Good job, CeeBailey! Way to go!

tawilke46

Got an email from CeeBailey this morning. Tom says, "Phil, we're going to make you a no-charge replacement for your cracked windsheild. It will ship in 5-7 days."

Good job, CeeBailey! Way to go!

That's great Phil!
I got a +4 CeeBailey (light tint) about a month ago. Now even more happy with my purchase. Great customer service!!

taldric

Great to hear that they are doing the right thing. Clearly the screen was defective.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My new screen came today. I'll get it mounted before Friday, when I hope to be able to ride into Denver to get the new Pilot Road 3s that are scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday mounted. I have had the appointment since last Friday. A church member died on Saturday and his family was talking about a Friday funeral. I didn't think it would be very pastoral to tell 'em I couldn't do it then because I had to get new tires put on my motorcycle. They ended up opting for a Saturday funeral, so I thought I was off the hook.

But now, the weather is supposed to turn bad Thursday night and if there's snow on the ground I'll have to rethink the tire change.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie, I've got BT-023s on the bike now. I've got about 9700 on the rear that's toast and probably about 6K on the front. I'm going to replace them both, even though I think the front would go another 4-5K miles.

Top Bottom