centerstand fell off

bicyclist

The Pig and the Hog were rolling across South Dakota this morning when we pulled off for gas. I heard a strange noise as I came to a stop at the end of the ramp, but it stopped, so I pulled into the gas station and the noise started again. Remembering Phil's final drive problem, and being a long time BMW rider, I thought, "Uh, oh!" Then I felt a clunk and the noise stopped as I rolled up to the pump. As I climbed off, my buddy pulled up and pointed to my centerstand on the pavement. Good thing it waited until we were off the slab because he had been riding behind me.

Apparently, the 6mm bolt that holds everything in place had fallen out somewhere, allowing the "pipe" that the stand pivots on to dislodge. The stand slid off the pipe. I worked it back onto the pipe and zip tied everything in place and we continued on our way. Of course, the springs are gone. While sitting in a laundry in Albert Lea, I looked at the fiche on Ron Ayers site and figured out what I need to fix it, a 6mm bolt and the two springs. I called a couple of dealers who, of course, don't have the parts. I didn't expect anyone to, but was hoping to find something that will work until I get home. It would be helpful to know the overall length of the springs and the length of the straight part of the springs. I plan to stop at the dealer in Mason City tomorrow to see whether he has something that will work.

I can live without the use of the stand until I get home, I guess. I got a bolt to replace the missing one, so if necessary, I can put the bike up on the stand. I'll just have to zip tie it back up when I'm done.

It's all part of the on-the-road experience.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
It would be helpful to know the overall length of the springs and the length of the straight part of the springs.
Overall length of the main spring is 167mm. That is measured from the outside of the hooks. The inside of the hooks would be 161mm.
Length of the main spring's spring section is 85mm, from the top of the hook to bottom the spring.

The sub spring is same overall length, but I could not see or get to the spring section.

This incident makes me think of a separate thread on the possibility that the shifter mounting pin/bolt can loosen and come off. So it seems we are developing a list of bolts and fasteners that need to be checked. Of course, ideally any motorcycle should be checked occasionally for loose fasteners. But with this site, we are accumulating experience on some fasteners that have actually caused problems. Any others that I may have missed?

OP
OP

bicyclist

Overall length of the main spring is 167mm. That is measured from the outside of the hooks. The inside of the hooks would be 161mm.
Length of the main spring's spring section is 85mm, from the top of the hook to bottom the spring.

The sub spring is same overall length, but I could not see or get to the spring section.
Thanks for looking. That'll be helpful in finding a substitute.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, the bikes vibrate :D :D :D

And vibration causes things to come loose. I did have a shifter come off a bike once too. Bolt not only vibrated loose, but, went UP and out of the little hole. Shifter is in the New Mexico desert somewhere :) Glad I had a pair of vise grips in the tool bag.

Glad you had some zip ties to hold it until you could get someplace to fix it better.

OP
OP

bicyclist

I didn't have any luck at the dealer in Mason City. Called the dealer at home and ordered the springs. They should get there about the same time I do. We're about 5,000 miles into this trip.

Bike
2011 NT
After reading this thread the other day, I crawled under there this afternoon and tightened mine up. Was a bit loose. Will have to check more for loose nuts and bolts.

OP
OP

bicyclist

I got the springs and flange bolt, made a new foot to replace the one that got ground down, had it welded on, painted the stand, greased and reassembled it. It's pretty.

The flange bolt has encapsulated thread locker on it. I added some Loctite for good measure.

While I was lying on the floor, I removed and greased the sidestand, as well.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My best friend found a small triangular cover that fell off my Connie on his driveway three weeks ago, but over the decades, I have seen many things fall off of bikes...One of the reasons I take the scrap hotel rags and clean the bike at the end of a day is to search for loose hardware.
Loose footpegs are not uncommon. Found one at Reno three years ago on Connie.....I am the first to admit I am negligent at checking often enough....my bad......but I was checking my Standard wing when the naked lady ran into my Motel 6 room and locked the door....
Glad you or anyone behind you was not hurt with flying debries.....!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..The flange bolt has encapsulated thread locker on it. I added some Loctite for good measure...]

The blue stuff they use on factory bolts is pretty strong so why did you think you needed more? You might have compromised the integrity of that bond by having Loctite over the top? Sometimes, more is not always better. :)

OP
OP

bicyclist

[..The flange bolt has encapsulated thread locker on it. I added some Loctite for good measure...]

The blue stuff they use on factory bolts is pretty strong so why did you think you needed more?
Cuz the first one fell out? Yeah, it occurred to me that the Loctite might affect the stuff that was on the bolt, but there wasn't much of the threadlocker there. More might not always be better, but sometimes it might.:)

Top Bottom