CenterStand in the Pass Through

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
CenterStand in the Pass Through?

So what is the pass through good for?............To carry your Center-stand home after it tries to fall off the bike on a ride. Let me explain. Took a ride today to move the Colorado ST Tag. Stopped in Idaho Springs for gas and went to put the bike on the center stand. The Stand was hanging down at a funny angle and would not deploy. Got down on my hands and knees to take a look and found the pivot bar had slipped out of the left pivot hole. What the Fun? How does that pivot bar stay in. There is a small 10mm bolt the hold the pivot bar in place on the right (exhaust) side of the the frame. The bolt had fallen out. So after about 30 mins of fiddling with (I did not have any tools with me, only the tool kit that Honda US gives with the bike....NONE) I was able to get the center-stand free and insure that the pivot bar would not fall out while I finished my ride. Where to put the center-stand. Won't fit in the Top Box, Won't fit in the panniers because of the foot lever sticking out. I know put the foot lever into the pass through and the center-stand will fit in the pannier. Finished my Tag ride and got home. Rummaged through my misc. bolt box and found a 10 mm bolt the correct length and added some lock-tight and the correct torque and spent 30 mins fighting with the springs and all is well now. Attached are some pics of the center-stand in the pannier and also a scanning of the manual showing how the unit mounts to the bike. Make sure during your normal maint. that you check this 10 mm bolt.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Thanks I will put this bolt on my maintenance list.

Thanks for the GREAT photos too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I'd completely forgotten that I'd had that same bolt fall out. I noticed it in my driveway and had a bolt that fit, used Loctite on it and had it fixed so quickly it didn't make much of an impact on me. Thanks for reminding us all!

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Chuck, if my centerstand came loose, I'm not sure I'd reconnect it. For some reason I have never gotton the hang of using one since my '83 Honda Shadow 750. I'd probably be glad to lose the extra 25#.:cool:

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, if my centerstand came loose, I'm not sure I'd reconnect it. For some reason I have never gotton the hang of using one since my '83 Honda Shadow 750. I'd probably be glad to lose the extra 25#.:cool:
Very easy to take off. Remove exhaust, unbolt 10mm bolt, slide pivot bar out, remove center-stand, reinstall exhaust. I feel lost with out a center-stand.:shrug2:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chuck,
Thanks for the Heads Up on that bolt. Mine will get the Loctite treatment. I didn't know that the Tenth Mountain Division had a War Memorial. They used to be at Ft. Drum--not too far from where I lived.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Re: CenterStand in the Pass Through?

On this bike I only occasionally use the center stand. But when I need it, it's really handy.

On my old GL1000 for a while I used the center stand exclusively, as it would belch out oil smoke on startup otherwise. I decided the oil smoke was the lesser of two evils after I broke my second center stand (the long arm broke off at the weld.

But loc-tite it is.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Interesting... I use the center stand all the time. I feel like the side stand is a bit on the short side and I always worry about it tipping over when I'm not looking (or worse, when I am!). Great tip on that bolt!

Conversely, my side stand on the DR650 is too long for the shock adjustment I'm using, so it always feels like it's going to tip over the other way (high side). Since there isn't a center stand, I just bite my nails a lot.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck,
Thanks for the Heads Up on that bolt. Mine will get the Loctite treatment. I didn't know that the Tenth Mountain Division had a War Memorial. They used to be at Ft. Drum--not too far from where I lived.
"........ found highway 24 toward Vail and headed north. This stretch of road is named in memory of the 10th Mountain Division of WWII. (10th Mountain Division Memorial Highway) Their training camp (Camp Hale) was along this stretch of road. Not much there anymore. It was some of those soldiers who founded the Vail Ski area after the war. There is a real nice memorial along side this scenic stretch of road.

http://www.drum.army.mil/AboutFortDrum/Pages/hist_10thMountainHistory_lv3.aspx Interesting reading.

Postwar Growth of Skiing

Veterans of the 10th Mountain Division were in a large part responsible for the development of skiing into a big name sport and popular vacation industry after World War II. Ex-soldiers from the 10th laid out ski hills, built ski lodges, designed ski lifts and improved ski equipment. They started ski magazines and opened ski schools. Vail, Aspen, Sugarbush, Crystal Mountain, and Whiteface Mountain are but a few of the ski resorts built by 10th Mountain veterans.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Interesting... I use the center stand all the time. I feel like the side stand is a bit on the short side and I always worry about it tipping over when I'm not looking (or worse, when I am!). Great tip on that bolt!

Conversely, my side stand on the DR650 is too long for the shock adjustment I'm using, so it always feels like it's going to tip over the other way (high side). Since there isn't a center stand, I just bite my nails a lot.
I'm OK with the side stand length on this bike. However if the ground slopes more than slightly to the left I'll arrange the bike's position accordingly. Conversely my ST1100's stand was too long. Gave me pause in a lot of situation, such as when riding the ferry in rough water conditions.

I got by for years with no center stand on my SL350, so it isn't an end-of-the-world deal without one.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks for the "heads up"
Checked mine tonight - it is tight. But now I know.
Bad thing is that while I was down there I measured my tire tread depth. I'll be buying new tires sooner than I thought.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Re: CenterStand in the Pass Through?

On this bike I only occasionally use the center stand. But when I need it, it's really handy.

On my old GL1000 for a while I used the center stand exclusively, as it would belch out oil smoke on startup otherwise. I decided the oil smoke was the lesser of two evils after I broke my second center stand (the long arm broke off at the weld.

But loc-tite it is.
That reminds me -- a guy I know took a trip on his Vulcan 700 from Phoenix to Alaska to New York to South Carolina and back to Phoenix. He had so much gear packed on the bike that the side stand broke off after a few days so he used the centerstand. Soon enough, of course, the centerstand broke off also. For the rest of the trip, he just leaned it up against a tree or a pole whenever he had to stop! Here's a picture -- You can see where the side stand used to be.

My centre stand bolt was tight enough. So the stand itself broke. The left hand leg of the stand just gave out when I was putting the bike oin the stand.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's really a 6 mm bolt (shank diameter) with a 10 mm head head. A 10 mm bolt is about the size of an engine mount bolt!

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
FWIW, I had the shifter linkage bolt fall out last summer.
Kinda a rude awakening to put your toe down to shift and find nothing.
I actually McGyvered it with 2 zip ties and was able to actually start out in first and shift to third gear and limp home.
Zip ties Rock!

Bike
Silver NT700V
FWIW, I had the shifter linkage bolt fall out last summer.
Kinda a rude awakening to put your toe down to shift and find nothing.
I actually McGyvered it with 2 zip ties and was able to actually start out in first and shift to third gear and limp home.
Zip ties Rock!
I have actually had this happen twice. Both times were after Stop-and-Drop (SAD) incidents where I could tell the bolt flange (correct technical term?) hit the ground. Fortunately, the bolt stayed in the shift lever both times and I was able to just screw it back in. I you drop on the left side, be sure to visually check the shifter bolt.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Thanks for the tip on the centre stand bolt.
I checked mine this morning and it was about one turn loose. :(
I have tightened it but did not put any thread-locker on it as I did not take it out.
After 60,ooo km and only a little loose is not too bad.
I will check it again in another 60k. :D

Macka

bicyclist

I lost the bolt somewhere in South Dakota, the pivot backed out, the springs disappeared and the stand ground itself down on the pavement. The bolt was easy to replace, but I had to order the springs after I got home, repair the stand, etc. I recommend putting thread locker on the bolt while you're at home so you don't have to deal with it in the middle of nowhere. It's an encapsulated bolt, but still kind of sketchy.

Top Bottom