Changing Engine Coolant

john40

Bike
'10 nt700v red
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but this is what worked for me. When I was adjusting the valves, changing the air cleaner and sparkplugs I decided to change the coolant. Not wanting to remove the entire front fairing, I noticed that there is a plastic tab that partially covers the pressure cap. I cut this tab off with a soldering gun and I was able to remove the pressure cap. I wasn't certain where the drain bolt was so I removed the radiator hose at the water pump. This was a bit messy, but effective.
Just my two cents-John

The drain bolt is usually at the water pump on Hondas. One of the four bolts is also the drain and you can identify it by it's copper sealing washer. The other three bolts don't have a washer.

The drain bolt is usually at the water pump on Hondas. One of the four bolts is also the drain and you can identify it by it's copper sealing washer. The other three bolts don't have a washer.
Thanks, good info for next time.
John

I changed the coolant last fall and believe Honda should be ashamed of designing the configuration that we have just to normally access the radiator cap.
Next time I will probably cut away some of that plastic.

Brad

[QUOTE, I noticed that there is a plastic tab that partially covers the pressure cap. I cut this tab off with a soldering gun and I was able to remove the pressure cap.[/QUOTE]

I cut away the same area that you are referring to, it's a shame that Honda did not address issues like this in the design process.

[QUOTE, I noticed that there is a plastic tab that partially covers the pressure cap. I cut this tab off with a soldering gun and I was able to remove the pressure cap.

I cut away the same area that you are referring to, it's a shame that Honda did not address issues like this in the design process.[/QUOTE]
I was pretty sure that I was not the first to do this, but I didn't remember seeing it previously.
John

I agree that having to remove or loosen the right fairing half to get at the radiator cap is absurd. I also cut away a section of that air dam but retained it with plastic pushbolts so it's now much easier to access.

I made a few videos on changing the coolant. They might be useful for you in locating the drain bolt next time.

It takes me so little time to remove the fairing now, I don't even worry about it. Besides, with the right side cowling off, I have easier access to removing the spark plug. It is a bit odd on why Honda placed the cover over the radiator cap. Still scratching my head over that move.

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but this is what worked for me. When I was adjusting the valves, changing the air cleaner and sparkplugs I decided to change the coolant. Not wanting to remove the entire front fairing, I noticed that there is a plastic tab that partially covers the pressure cap. I cut this tab off with a soldering gun and I was able to remove the pressure cap. I wasn't certain where the drain bolt was so I removed the radiator hose at the water pump. This was a bit messy, but effective.
Just my two cents-John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom