Changing Headlight Bulbs

OP
OP
Rotorhead
VICTORY !! Job Done. My son ( age 39 ) and I did a bulb swap in less than 30 minutes. From the top and in front of the forks, look down and see a pair of black rubber boots. We did the top boot first, just pull a tab off with needle-nose pliers. Next, the wire stay comes off ~~ it's just clipped on. With the stay unclipped, pivit it to the right, then gently pull the plastic electrical wire connector to the rear, and the bulbs comes out, still attached to the connector. Do the same in reverse with the new bulbs, and you're good to go.We found that a movement of the handlebars, as little as an inch or so, sometimes gave just enough room for a hand to more further down another quarter of an inch ~~ Just enough to do the job. We installed Sylvania SilverStar Ultras which cost $49.99 and has a $10.00 mail-in rebate. These bulbs advertize that they provide 50% brighter light, and up to 40% further down road visibility.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I use Ultras in my car, and my wife's car, and they are significantly brighter than the stock bulbs. But that extra brightness comes at the cost of a reduced life span so I suggest you carry a spare bulb...

OP
OP
Rotorhead
I've heard that argument for several years, but that doesn't match my experience. I've put Ultras (or equivalents) in all my vehicles for the past 15 years, and have yet to have a bulb burn out. The Honda wiring harness comes stock with a relay for the headlights. I guess I can carry one of the OEMs wrapped up in a Kleenex, just in case.

Just got home from a 20 minute night ride, and these lights definately have more firepower. No on-coming vehicles flashed me. I guess we're all happy

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I averaged around eighteen months with the original SilverStars and now just over a year with the Ultras before one goes... But we use the lights every morning and my wife leaves her Subaru's lights in the "Automatic" mode so they are probably on more than off. With the single filament H7 bulbs I am hoping to extend the life span a bit over the dual filaments versions in the cars.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I find them to live shorter lives as well. But then the frost heaved roads here are unkind to bulbs of most types.

I also no longer flash my lights at people that I think have left there lbrights on.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I just ordered a DDM HID kit for my high and low beams, I plan on doing a write up as I do the replacement.

clemmel

To those who have installed HID light into their bikes, can an HID bulb start up off the battery like the standard bulb does? I know HID lights draw a good amount of power on start up but I was wondering if that might be too much for just the battery?

Also, since the NT shuts down the headlight on start up, is the extra off and on of this a little too much extra taxing on the electrical system?

Am I making too much of nothing here?

Thanks!

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
To those who have installed HID light into their bikes, can an HID bulb start up off the battery like the standard bulb does? I know HID lights draw a good amount of power on start up but I was wondering if that might be too much for just the battery?

Also, since the NT shuts down the headlight on start up, is the extra off and on of this a little too much extra taxing on the electrical system?

Am I making too much of nothing here?

Thanks!
They work like a fluorescent, they need a ballast (step up transformer) to work.

Top Bottom