Chinese built engine

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It could also be related to production capacity in Germany where they want to devote the existing facilities to the more expensive bikes/engines.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
There can be a difference if the company is contracting out the manufacturing to a Chinese company or doing it themselves in their own manufacturing facility located in China. The company I work for built our own plant in China. For the first 5 years all the managers of the plant were Americans. Today it is run by Chinese mangers . They are all employees of our company. The products in the plant are built to the same specs and quality standards as the products in our North American facilities. The products are fairly complicated electrical mechanical machines that meet world class standards so its not like they are sewing together a pair of pants..

I wonder how many dollars more the bike would have cost if it was made in Germany? If the quality of German made products is superior.......the additional cost may be worthwhile.

I do understand that so many parts are outsourced that any new car/motorcycle is likely an international endeavor - but at some point I would expect a "Swiss" watch not to be made in "China" (or even made from parts made in China).

It does make me wonder how these problem gets resolved between BMW and Loncin.............which company takes the blame for the issue faces the financial burden of correcting the problem in the bikes that are already assembled?

How does NHTSA know there is a problem - if there is only 1 F850GS in the United States?

Do they take the engine apart and fix the connecting rod bolts - or is it cheaper/easier to just put in a "good" engine and scrap the other one?

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Build it and they will come, has become way to common for companies like BMW. Same money and bait and switch quality. Quality has become an issue with BMW motorcycles for many years, German engineering equality BULL.

Just reading about the 50,000th BMW 310 cc Quite the success story, made in India to BMW specs...I guess the little single just keeps going and going!....India or China doesn't seem to matter...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A good friend of mine has one of the new little BMW G310GS and he absolutely loves it. He's been critical of everything he's had for one reason or another, but doesn't have any complaints about the baby GS.

I am seriously thinking about trading the CRF 250L and the Triumph Bonneville for the GS version now they have been out for a while. That will give me the NT for road trips and all else with the 310...My dealer should (hope) have a GS come next springtime..as of now he sold every GS he could get he's hands on...the only negative I have heard is the kickstand mount weld was a problem and the multitude of screws and fasteners needed to be removed for regular maintenance...I will have to look into that. My wifes 2005 650 GS single has proved bullet proof all the years we have had it although the motor has always sounded like a bucket of bolts and it is "different" when doing maintenance requiring multiple srews and turn signal removal for just an oil change!..Typical European engineering...

Top Bottom