Choosing a tent

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I need a tent; and at first, I just landed on the REI Half Dome 4, which I am sure is an awesome tent.
I just hate spending $200 ($250 w/footprint) right out of the gate, not knowing how far i am going to take the camping thing.
I have been reading and looking youtube, MotoCampers.com. all the retailers' websites looking at reviews.
I know I could spend WAY less on a tent, but I dont want to get out in the middle of BFE and have issues.
I am close to sticking with the REI tent, but are there any other contenders that are similarly priced or even less, with the same quality?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, I'm sure there are tents of equal quality. Check websites like Cabella's, Campmor, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.

My guess is that you'll end up paying just about equal money for equal quality -- REI works pretty hard at having competitive pricing. Also, keep your eye on REI for sale prices.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
You could buy a decent tent for about $150 that would work well. You could even buy an el-cheapo for much less. But like Phil says you sort of get what you pay for. If you aren't doing all season camping you don't need a 4-season tent for $400 or $500.

I've had a Eureka Pinnical Pass (they call them something else now) for about 10 years and I'm replacing it this year because the stitching is beginning to stretch out on the zippers. Failure is eminent. Features I like are: a large vestibule, two doors, easy set-up, good bug netting, and enough room to stretch out without contacting the side walls. What I don't like is that they aren't made in USA (but what is these days). Even though I've camped a lot, I'm not up on the latest greatest products out there. They change quickly.

If you don't know what you're doing, buy from a reputable dealer (like REI), or a local dealer (pay a little more) and have confidence that you have a good product and good service if needed.

Deleted member 540

Check out the Eureka line of tents. I just bought 2 new ones from Campmor after my old ones (20 years plus) wore out.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Clay,

You might want to consider looking for a lightly used tent yourself. Here is the REI Half Dome 4 you want on eBay for about $130 (Current Bid) with the foot print and shipping costs...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Sure, there are lot's of tents designated as family tents that aren't as compact or as well built as the higher priced backpacking tents. So, for less than $80 you'll get one you may only use a couple times a year but I know some that have had them last several...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35420#

I can't guarantee you'll never have a problem with one... but it's new so it should last at least a couple seasons.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My wife bought me a tent of dubious lineage which I plan to pitch in our living room one of these days when the carpenter is finished installing crown molding. It is in a very compact bag and is also very light---presumably made for bicycle touring. I'll see how it works out.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
One more thing - the only time a tent is too big is when you're carrying it or packing it. I like to stay at about 5#.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It is in a very compact bag and is also very light---presumably made for bicycle touring. I'll see how it works out.
I still have one of those 2# tents from bicycle touring days. It works fine, but it is SMALL! It is about one size bigger than my sleeping bag. I'd only use it if I was backpacking or bicycle tourning.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
This one is a 2 person tent made by" Wenzel" I'll see what it looks like when I pitch it. It cost just under $50.00 on sale

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I had the same issue when I decided to try camping again.

My Kelty 4 person was $80 at Sportsman's Guide.

I'd suggest going to a Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's to look at the tents in person.

The two things I wanted was a rainfly that covered the entire tent to the ground and a vestibule area. The Kelty had both and was cheap enough even for me :)

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I bought a gently used Eureka Solo tent last year for a week-long mc camping trip. It was perfect in terms of packing size, it fared well in the wet, and it was very inexpensive ($30 like-new). I think this tent retails for only about $90. This type of tent works well, if you only plan on using the tent to sleep in and nothing else. The tent is just big enough for you to slide into. I don't recall the exact measurements, but I believe it was 2'4" tall, about 28" wide and 7' long.
It all depends on how you want to use the tent. I was not sure how often I would use the tent, and packing space was at a premium, so I went this route. It worked out very well, but next time I will buy a larger tent so that I can keep some supplies in it and have room to sit up, etc in case of rain (or snow).

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, bulk. I can stuff the compression bag and get it down to 8x12 size, but, it is a battle to get it in there. It is also the easiest (cheapest :) ) "upgrade" to reduce bulk and not compromise "performance".

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I learned the expensive way (well, not very expensive) that getting a bigger compression bag made it easier to get my sleeping bag compressed down to a small size. I went up one size on compression bag and that let me get the bulky bag stuffed in; then I could still compress it to the smaller size.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
A down sleeping bag will compress the best. I have one that's a 20 degree bag and packs to the size of a coffee can. It doesn't feel like it's a good bag because it just doesn't have the bulk of some others but it works well and I don't plan on camping below 20 degrees.. however, since I do have the exped synmat dlx9 air mattress, even if the temps drop, that gives me enough of a barrier the sleeping bag isn't as much of an issue.. you'll loose all your body heat from the ground, if not insulated, before you will in a sleeping bag.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Heck, my current bag is only rated to 30deg. It is just cheap and bulky.

Phil, thanks for that idea. I will try a larger compression bag and see how that works before spending more on a sleeping bag.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I got a Big Agnes Buffalo Park bag and it's rated down to 40F. I got one of their insulated sleeping pads and a silk liner bag and have slept in the Buffalo Park down to 26F. I hope that's low enough.

BTW, Charlie, here's another option: Big Agnes has a "Compression Girdle" that fits around any stuff sack up to 18" long. It cost $17.95. Here's a link: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/GirdleCompressionStrap/option/2

Top Bottom