Clearwater LED Lights

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Does anyone have any experience with the Clearwater LED lights, either the Glenda or the larger Krista models? How difficult are they to install on the NT? Any recommendations versus competitive products? Thanks for any help!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Ed,

I have the Clearwater Krista's for my NT. Right now they are off the bike as I am redoing my electrical farkles while relocating my FZ-1. While the price is not cheap I find them to be an excellent product. :D To mount them I had a mounting bar made (See Here) based Amorley's design. Note: If you go that route use 1/4 inch aluminum or steel, the 3/8 is overkill. They are not difficult to install if you follow the included directions or are familiar with wiring. As for competitive products I really don't think the original Denali lights are in the same league, but I haven't seen the new D2 version though. Do a search in this forum and you should find more info...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have the Denali D2 version and I am very happy. Still, I would want to hear from anyone who have directly compared Krista with the D2s. With the low wattage drawn by these lamps, I might go crazy and add another set...

freezingalaskan

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Still, I would want to hear from anyone who have directly compared Krista with the D2s.
I think the D2s are more comparable to the Glendas based on output and being able to use both lights on both high and low beam. Anyway, since the Wee has much better stock headlights than the NT I am considering a set of D2s for it instead of Clearwaters so I may be able to do the comparison. For the Wee I only want a bit more light to the sides, as "Bambi" spotters, and as "position" lights to help cagers see me on low beam and the D2s ought to do that fairly well... The PIAA 530s look interesting as well...

OP
OP
Ed in Miami
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The Clearwaters have a "horn" function: When you hit the horn, the lights go to maximum brightness at the same time. Do the Denali D2s have this feature, also?

elizilla

All this stuff that the Kristas have, but you have to build your own wiring harness out of the generic pieces that come in the box. It's just a bunch of lengths of wire, an orange fuse holder like the ones on the wall at Autozone, etc... since you have to DIY this stuff, you might as well DIY it to go with any lights you like. Not saying this is impossible, heck, I DIY wiring harnesses all the time. Also not saying the light units aren't terrific, because they do seem to be terrific. But the horn function, the functions with high and low beams, etc? You're building all that yourself, it's not something you get ready-made in the kit.

OP
OP
Ed in Miami
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Here's the response I got from Glenn at Clearwater: Ed,

"Yes. It is built into the Krista harness. And if you buy Kristas and Glendas, then they both use the built in
circuit.

If you buy only Glendas, then you simply need (2) small diodes for the horn and high beam wire. We supply those in the
kit."

My interpretation of this response is that the Krista model has the "horn" feature built-in, but the Glenda does not--but you can jury-rig it to do the same thing.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The Clearwaters have a "horn" function: When you hit the horn, the lights go to maximum brightness at the same time. Do the Denali D2s have this feature, also?
The D2 does not have a "horn" feature, although you can toggle the high-beam switch real quick if you have the D2 lights connected to be half power on low-beam, and full power on high-beam.
The build quality of the D2 lights are simply amazing. The wiring is sturdy, except for perhaps the included on-off switch. I ended up connecting the included switch as part of the wiring, but I hid it under the sadle.
I have a separate three button on-off switch that I use. This way I can turn the lights completely off if I did not want them on.

The drawback with the D2 lights is that they are not expandable like the D1 lights. But, the D2s do look better I think on the NT. I connected my lights under the tip over protection bars by just getting a longer bolt. Simple wiring under the plastic from there.
May get a second set to mount on the forks......

freezingalaskan

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The D2 does not have a "horn" feature, although you can toggle the high-beam switch real quick if you have the D2 lights connected to be half power on low-beam, and full power on high-beam.
The build quality of the D2 lights are simply amazing. The wiring is sturdy, except for perhaps the included on-off switch. I ended up connecting the included switch as part of the wiring, but I hid it under the sadle.
I have a separate three button on-off switch that I use. This way I can turn the lights completely off if I did not want them on.

The drawback with the D2 lights is that they are not expandable like the D1 lights. But, the D2s do look better I think on the NT. I connected my lights under the tip over protection bars by just getting a longer bolt. Simple wiring under the plastic from there.
May get a second set to mount on the forks......

freezingalaskan
Do you have any pix of your installation that you could share?

Mike

Top Bottom