Clothes to pack for Spearfish

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
So far I have all my camping gear together. Now the question is: What does one pack for clothes? I plan to take two jackets--one Mesh Jacket and one Honda Jacket with zip in liner, one pr of summer gloves and a pair of medium temperature gloves. I'll be wearing my Rocket Touring boots and will take a pair of boating shoes for wandering around. I was thinking of taking two pr. of Slider Jeans and my Icon Arc riding pants and a pair of shorts. A flannel shirt and some T-Shirts and underwear would complete the wardrobe.

I could use some suggestions from some of our veteran touring folks. I plan to be touring the whole month of July.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Here is advice from someone who always brings too many clothes (slow learner). I have my Darian riding suit, including liner and electric vest. I only use one pair of gloves. Then several pairs of underwear/T-shirts, socks, riding boots, camp shoes (suitable for wearing to the shower), shorts, hats, (stocking cap for sleeping in the mountains), towel, pants, and long sleeves. I often bring old clothes that I can just toss out when dirty and lighten the load as I travel. If I run out I stop and buy some new ones, which I need anyway. I hate stopping at laundramats to do laundry, but sometimes it is necessary. The clothes all fit in my Ortleib duffel bag on the luggage rack along with the camping bag. I don't carry rain gear or rubber boots any more.

Flashlight, tools, bic lighter, tent, sleeping bag and pad, water bottles, insect repellent, duct tape, . . ..etc. Don't forget a cork screw for the wine bottle. A soft side cooler is handy too in case you want some cold beverages. They have ice at the campground. I have discovered that if I forget something I can either do without it, or simply stop and buy one (but that doesn't include the credit card). And, as discussed on another thread, a chair or stool is handy at Spearfish since conversations get started around some picnic table with limited seating. If you have your own chair you can put it as close to or as far from whomever you want.

Some others on the forum here are masters at camping - or at least masters at bringing everything you could ever need. Maybe they'll chime in here. We all choose our own level or luxury.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Its a complete comprimise. You are limited on space so something must be sacraficed. After a full 2012 summer of motorcycle camping, I would rather run around all day in my plain motorcycle gear than freeze at night. Yea, 90 degrees during the day and 40 to 50 at night can put a damper on your vacation. I recommend comfortable clothes you can sleep in. However, I am looking at bringing a more night life outfit. It will need to pack small so it will probably be expensive:(

Lay all your stuff out before you pack it. Some stuff will get the axe. But you will survive.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Alex, I've always carried more clothes than I've ever worn. Spearfish will be the beginning of the Epic Ride, so Rick and i will be packing for more than Spearfish. Last year, it was 108 when I was about 120 miles east of Rapid City and I doubt if it ever got much below the upper 70s at night.

This is what I'm thinking: 3-4 t-shirts, and at least one of them long-sleeved; a couple of pair of regular underwear; 4 pair of riding socks (I can wear them a couple of days before they need washing); a couple pair of low-top cotton socks; LD Comfort underwear (long pants and long-sleeved shirt, and probably a pair of shorts to go with my short-sleeved LD Comfort top), two pair of matching REI zip-off leg pants with one pair of legs (these things are great. I've been comfortable in them down into the 30s and they don't look horrible as semi-dress-up britches); a light-weight fleece jacket; a pair of Keen sandals; my heated jacket; my lighteweight Keith Parks deerskin gloves and my pair of Gore-Tex Cycloak gloves that I wear when it's cold or wet (I've also got a pair of Aerostitch Gore-Tex 3-finger rain gloves).

I pack clothes and a bottle of wine in the left pannier, tools and stuff in the right one. I've got bag liners for both of those. Then I put what I'm going to need for the next night/day and my personal hygiene stuff in a small duffel bag in the trunk. I carry my netbook in the trunk, along with all the charging cords I need (netbook, Kindle, cell phone). I also carry a thermos in the trunk for my daily ration of coffee on the road.

I've got a Bags Connection City tank bag that holds my thermos cup for coffee and a 2-liter Camelback.

And that'll be more than I ever use. :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Better to over pack than underpack ...

Alex, I think you've got it right. July in SD is generally warm to medium-hot... last year was warmer than the past but coming from TX it was still cooler than my return LOL

It might rain but I'm sure you're ready for that regardless of the temps.

If you plan on heading into Colorado as part of your July trip then it may get a little chilly on some mtn pasess but the liner and extra layers should be good.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I agree with gear etc as prerviously noted. I will hopefully be in a Roadcrafter if Aerostich does it's job as promised. That will take care of the rain gear requirement, My ridig boots and depending on space a pair of rain boots just in case, normally two sets of Ld comfort and my two pair of TEC SOCKS which are no longer available, I just purchased two pair of the over calve sock tha LD comfort sells and the two times I hve worn them they are very satisfactory. I will probably have a couple of regular t-shirts with motorcycle related logosand a couple of pair of regular undershorts, two pair of my normal wear socks (Justin Boot Socks) A long sleeve shirt very light weight for sun protection , maybe a short sleeve light weight shirt, two pair of jeans plus the normal outer wear of a long sleeve riding shirt with multiple pockest capable of having passport zippered closure pocketsaerostich rain gloves the 3 fingered varaity, plus Langlitz leather gloves with lsge cuffs 1 PR that can be folded back to allow air to ventilate into open cuffs in hot tempertures, I also carry shower shoes & a beat up pair of camp shoes etc and a baseball type cap and usurally a couple of hemlet head scarves.As phil has mentioned I probably carry too much , but I will be on a extemded trip and not riding directly to & from. I also carry one large shaving kit which also contains my prescription drugs plus personal care and shower stuff.
I have started carrying a small b ag with just the items I will need for a overnite motel stop that is easy to et to and leave everything else packed on bike . This makes in & out of motel quick and simpe and lets me have a change of cloths if I want to go out to eat. Oh yes I do carry a bike cover stuffed into a bag . it is well battered from many years of use, but it covers my bike completely and keeps honest folks honest as well as keeping morning dew ec off of bike, or rain etc

Eldon

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thank you for the input. The pants with zip out legs sound great. I wear my Sliders like jeans (They are black) When I pull the armor out of them, they are great street clothes. I wear them to work. For underwear, I was thinking bicycle shorts, and for tops, a couple of those wicking athletic shirts that look like golf shirts (They roll up small and don't wrinkle) Wicking bicycle socks would work well. I will try to find the MilSpec fleece long underwear. LL Bean or Cabelas should have them. Since I will be travelling across Canada, it might be a good idea to take along my Shop Manual should anything go amiss.

I still need to get a Pocket Rocket for coffee and a very small LED Lantern. I have a couple small LED flashlights and a Head Light. Once I measure the footprint of my tent, I'll get a piece of Tyvek cut to the right size. A small folding camp stool should do it for me (The one I have fits into my Top Case.) Am still looking for waterproof duffels. The ones from TT are really nice, but I am sure I can find ones just as good at a lower price at a Kayak place--lots of them here. A couple of small compression sacks would also be handy.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Am still looking for waterproof duffels
The ones Mellow discovered are very affordable
He got the Large, 26x14x? and I forget the volume for under $50
I got the XL which is either 110 or 130 liters 30x14x15 for not much over $50
They are called Dry Pak
Look on Amazon

BEst prices I have seen for waterproof and that big
Mine will hold all my camping gear and then some while riding pillion, freeing up topcase and left pannier...right side dedicated to raingear and tools

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Alex, everthing you need to know is embedded in this photo album I made of last year's Spearfish.
(Disreguard Mellow's hat as Tim's crushable booney sun hat is more practical))
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/library/Spearfish2012
As you can see, Cargo pants with zip off legs are popular and useful. If you have to sleep in something, the shorts part can be sleepwear.
Life is too short for laundramats...Like Bobagain, save up old socks and underwear and throw them out when dirty. I have dress T-shirts and throwaway Tshirts.
I have some very lightweight dress shirts that smash well. I imagine there are folks that worry about wrinkles. I am not one of them. I like a BDU jacket for camping
if the bugs come out or it chills a bit. Some like flip flops, I like tennis shoes....other than layering, all I can say is that I am trying to be a "less is more" person and carry
less. Most stuff can be bought at or near the need. Check out "refreshments" table in the photo album. Trust me, you can buy booze in Spearfish. No need to bring a wine
bottle. And remember, you can never have enough high tech head lamps and flashlights. There will be a contest at Spearfish for the smallest flashlight that throws the strongest
beam!
Disclaimer...OK, I still bring too much stuff, but everything you see in this photo packs like you see it on my bike in my Avatar pic and in the shots of my bike in the album.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Chris, you have so much stuff on that bike that it cracked your concrete.

bicyclist

Alex, I don't know whether you've ridden a long distance wearing bicycle shorts, but if you haven't, I'd suggest you try it to see whether you like it. Bicycle shorts work great on a bicycle, not so well on a motorcycle since the pad is not designed for that use. In my experience, one of the major causes of discomfort on a long ride is pressure points created by seams and folds in what you're sitting on. I've tried a lot of undergarments in the search for comfort, including bicycle shorts, and the best I've found is LD Comfort shorts. They work because they have no seams to sit on and they're made of a wicking fabric. If you have an old pair of bicycle shorts, you might experiment with ripping out the pad and trying them that way. Everyone's backside is different, but most long distance riders agree that eliminating pressure points makes a big difference in comfort.

In the quest to pare down the amount of stuff I carry, I no longer pack jeans. I've found that the nylon pants pack smaller and dry faster after washing. I have a pair with zip off legs and find that I never zip them off because they keep the bugs off. They work because I have a full set of riding gear that I wear during the day and then change after the ride.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
George,
I have four pairs of cheap bicycle shorts ($20) from Dick's Sporting Goods that I took the pads out for MC riding. I have run 500 mile streches with no problem--could probably do an SS-1000. I did find some of those pants with the zip off legs and got two pair. I don't wear jeans. Instead I have 2 pair of "Sliders" They are very comfortable when one would ordinarily wear jeans. For warm weather I wear my ICON Arc riding pants with shorts underneath. If it is really cold, I wear the Sliders underneath. I have about four of those Russell athletic shirts that are made of a wicking fabric like bike jersies. I plan to take them along with two T-Shirts and a long sleeved Tee. Rick suggested fleece MilSpec long underwear for if it gets cold. That packs very small, so I'll get that.

I would like to get away with one medium sized duffel to put on the seat. I have the larger panniers and a top case. My tank bag is not too large but should hold stuff I need to get my hands on often like wallet, passport, etc. I can always rinse off my white athletic socks. I plan to take four pair.

I went across the USon a BMW R-50 in 1966 and was able to wash underwear and socks in a sink. With the new fabrics we have today, that will be cake.

Thank you for the good advice. Tomorrow it will be 50 here, so I'll take my fast bicycle (Eddy Merckx) out for a 20 miler. I am still fairly weak after a three month illness. With PT 3x a week, I should be able to ride my motorcycle in two weeks.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks, Rick. Looks like a road trip to Bass Pro is in the near future.

Bike
Here is the mil-spec data from the issue ones given to me by my son after his 18 months in Afgahnastan.
This is from a top with the turtleneck and 12 inch zipper ; 8415-01-415-5916 undershirt LWCWUS 100% POLYESTER SPO100-05-0-4/
03/0002, sekri,inc.

As Rick has said they work real well, My set was given to me in 09.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bass Pro was out of stock on the 2X tops, so I ended up ordering what looks like the same thing from CampMor. I also got a hat and a skeeter net deal to go over the hat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Not yet. I'm guessing it'll be here Monday or Tuesday.

Bike
That is good, you don't want to forget, although most of the places up north will have them available as well.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LWCWUS-UNDERSHIRT-LONG-JOHNS-EXTRA-LARGE-XL-Brown-US-Military-Peckham-/261150087612?pt=US_CSA_MC_Underwear&hash=item3ccdc219bc
http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/6230-gi-type-foliage-poly-pro-zip-top
Here is the mil-spec data from the issue ones given to me by my son after his 18 months in Afgahnastan.
This is from a top with the turtleneck and 12 inch zipper ; 8415-01-415-5916 undershirt LWCWUS 100% POLYESTER SPO100-05-0-4/
03/0002, sekri,inc.

As Rick has said they work real well, My set was given to me in 09.

Eldon

Last edited:
Top Bottom