Clutch bearing noise

MotoAddict

I've noticed one small issue since buying my NT in September that I hope doesn't turn into something expensive later. When I release the clutch with the motor idling I hear a low frequency vibration that I'm guessing is a bearing in the clutch assembly since the noise goes away when I pull in the clutch handle with the bike in neutral. It's not terribly noisy now but it's not something I've noticed in other motorcycles I've owned is what concerns me.

Anybody else notice this on yours?

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Yes I believe I have it in my NT700V (only slightly) and also nearly every Honda I have owned.

I believe it is actually the clutch plates/clutch basket rattling and it has never caused any problem in the bikes I have owned.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yes I believe I have it in my NT700V (only slightly) and also nearly every Honda I have owned.

I believe it is actually the clutch plates/clutch basket rattling and it has never caused any problem in the bikes I have owned.
+1 - this is a common comment on the ST-O forum.

As long as your clutch is not slipping and works as expected I wouldn't worry about it.

kenstone

I've come to believe it's the primary gears re-acting to the power pulses of the engine and noticable in most bikes I've owned, sounds like a quiet clatter.
I'm kind of relieved when pulling the clutch stops the noise.
Ken

OP
OP

MotoAddict

Thanks to all of you for your input. This is the first second hand motorcycle I've ever owned and I guess I'm on the lookout for potential problems since I don't have a warranty. I got stuck a couple of times on used cars, that's what makes me wary of anything used. Your comments relieved my concern. Karl is the only one who doesn't hear the same noise on his bike, maybe he uses a higher viscosity oil. My owners manual shows that the previous owner used Amsoil and it only had 4100 miles on it when i bought it so I couldn't imagine that anything could be worn out, but any brand can have defects, even Hondas. kenstone, maybe I didn't pay any attention on my other bikes because I bought them new.

Gandalf, I've never had the opportunity to ride a Ducati or be near one when it was idling, just seen them on the road.

Mellow, a neighbor of mine owns a ST I'll ask him about it. The day after I bought my NT he saw it out front and stopped to make a comment about it being "a half ST". He could out run me for sure but I'd pass him at the gas pump. I'm getting outstanding gas mileage.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A V-twin engine with dual throttle body fuel injection must have perfectly synchronized fuel intakes to be perfectly smooth and an erratic running engine can cause the clutch basket to rattle--just for your info.
But if the dual throttle bodies on the NT aren't perfectly synchronized, I'm willing to bet a nickel that there's nothing at all you can do about it. The butterflies are on a common shaft and aren't adjustable (unless there's a secret I don't know about).

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I've never had the opportunity to ride a Ducati or be near one when it was idling, just seen them on the road...]

There is a Ducati t-shirt that proclaims "Loud Clutches Saves Lives." :)

OP
OP

MotoAddict

But if the dual throttle bodies on the NT aren't perfectly synchronized, I'm willing to bet a nickel that there's nothing at all you can do about it. The butterflies are on a common shaft and aren't adjustable (unless there's a secret I don't know about).
Now there's something nice about Harleys. They have a single throttle body on a manifold. At least I think they still do, my '96 Evo had a single carburetor.

OP
OP

MotoAddict

[...I've never had the opportunity to ride a Ducati or be near one when it was idling, just seen them on the road...]

There is a Ducati t-shirt that proclaims "Loud Clutches Saves Lives." :)
Nothing that a pair of ear plugs won't fix.

Top Bottom