Clutch replacement done...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Methinks she just "feathered" the clutch too much during the lesson, overheating, hence glazing the friction plates it in the process...
She also reported not gaining speed while raising revs on the motorway on her way home...
But we'll know more upon inspection of the parts...
This is going to sound terribly sexist, but it has been my experience that sometimes those on the distaff side are not so good at describing mechanical issues...... there I said it!........ bring on Armageddon.....

:eek:

Mike

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
... likes to wrench, likes to make work for himself...
yeah... right...

IMG_20230506_144422.jpg

IMG_20230506_144430.jpg

Those steel plates are beyond "blue"... ;)

New friction plates, steel plates and springs... works perfect again...

GF mumbles about liking to crawl with slipping clutch in the urban congestions...

Anyway, since the NT is in fixed, I can finally turn my focus on getting my ST1100 in top shape...

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I've never seen them used like those wall ornaments anywhere before. Interesting conversation starter.

Arknt

Hello Guys,

I am looking for a new clutch set for my HONDA NT 700 DEAUVILLE (2006). Is the clutch is same for all NT700 (2006 - 2012/2015). At some sites it is the same on the other it sort of divided into 2006 - 2009 and 2010 onwards...

I am looking into following clutch set TRW MSK 102 (https://moto.autodoc.co.no/trw/12858866), however the website states it will fit 2010-2015 models but when I check on other website or TRW website these states that TRW MSK 102 will fit all HONDA DEAUVILLE Model including the 650 (https://www.motorcorner.com/trw-msk102-clutch-super-kits.html)

Any thoughts or webiste to get it in europe?

Many Thanks
Peer

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Thanks but I am based in Nordic, after brexit parts from UK attracts lot of cost ;)
This might be an option:

But I'd also copy and paste the P/Ns into Google where you might find more affordable sources...

Pattern parts? Well, always risks involved... wouldn't recommend use on primary systems like engine, drive train or brakes...

PS: don't forget to order dedicated engine sealant, the clutch cover is glued to the case...

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Just read a brilliant DYI tip for mounting covers with gaskets and sealant. Get some cheap "long" bolts with matching case threads from the hardware. Cut the heads off. Thread them into the case and use them as guides for gasket and cover.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just read a brilliant DYI tip for mounting covers with gaskets and sealant. Get some cheap "long" bolts with matching case threads from the hardware. Cut the heads off. Thread them into the case and use them as guides for gasket and cover.contains
That's a very clever technique. I have used it several times when installing the side cover that holds the stator. As you probably have experienced, as you slide the cover on the magnetic attraction of the rotor makes it nigh impossible to slip the case on cleanly without disturbing the gasket or sealant. I just wish I would have discovered that trick years ago. Too soon old, and too late smart.
:well1:
Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I used that trick eons ago when I had a drag racing car after high school. It was especially helpful when reinstalling the transmission since I lacked a tranny jack and I didn't want the weight of the tranny hanging on the clutch plate hub! Also helped greatly when reinstalling cylinder heads. ;)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I used that trick eons ago when I had a drag racing car after high school. It was especially helpful when reinstalling the transmission since I lacked a tranny jack and I didn't want the weight of the tranny hanging on the clutch plate hub! Also helped greatly when reinstalling cylinder heads. ;)
Your mention of cylinder heads reminded me of this meme
Mike

7121cbed419d3caf.png

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Just read a brilliant DYI tip for mounting covers with gaskets and sealant. Get some cheap "long" bolts with matching case threads from the hardware. Cut the heads off. Thread them into the case and use them as guides for gasket and cover.
I did this all the time as an auto tech, it worked great for aligning items where you have wet sealer applied, like water pumps and differential covers. Eventually I had a collection of alignment pins, SAE and metric. Let me also suggest, cut a slot in the end that faces out, that way you can extract the pins with a flat blade screwdriver once the item is bolted on.

Top Bottom