Colorado Trip day by day

Bike
2010 Red NT700
So I took off this week and had originally planned to go back to Tennessee and NC but the hurricane put the kibosh on that.
Then I thought, "I should go see The Big Bend once and for all, but its going to be wet all week too. Chief Joseph and Beartooth are just too far for me to do in a week...
So I said to myself, 'self, you know you love Colorado...go see some more of it, and even re-ride some roads you know."

Based on an article I read a while back, I decided not to have an itinerary and no reservations. I leave each morning with an idea of where I want to go and I don't make a hotel reservation until late in the day.

Saturday morning I loaded up the bike and got all my gear on....dead battery...didn't get out of the garage. So I went and picked one up and 90 minutes later I was on the road.

I went up old 287 out of Decatur, TX and about an hour south of Amarillo, in Clarendon TX I reserved a room in Amarillo
Got up this morning and lit out for Raton, NM and points north, via 87, 64 and I25

While eating lunch in Raton, I reserved a room in Pueblo and here I am. Full of Mexican food and watching football.

Tomorrow I plan to go to Pike's Peak, Canon City and finish up in Gunnison...but that's just an outline. We'll see how it goes

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you get to Northern Colorado, Clay, give me a shout!

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Keep going west till Grand Junction, then south on million dollar hwy (550) just rode thru there first time this summer. oh yeah, going Gunnison? how about independence pass to Aspen?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Man how many time have I made that trip on 287 from Wichita Falls to Denver.(both on the bike and in the cage) Have gone Both routes at Dumas, Texas, North on 287 to Limon and then on I-70 into Denver. Or Left at Dumas On 87 to Raton to via Colorado Springs to Denver.

It looks like it is out of you way but Trail Ridge Rd in Rocky Mountain National Park Is a great ride. Another hint is to be at Pikes Peak early before the tourist get up. Be at the gate when they open. Be coming down the mountain before Noon as the weather tends to come in after that. Be prepared to Layer up because it will be chilly up there, even if it is 90 degrees at the bottom. Watch out for the Leaf Peepers. It is that time a year and they will stop and jump out of their cars, any where any time.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Monday: I got out of Pueblo and hit Colo Sprgs at rush hour. I made the exit for Manitou Springs and headed for Pikes Peak. S ignage is sorely lacking for such an iconic destination. When I finally got to the turn in Cascade, there was a message board saying that Pikes Peak Hwy was closed so I pressed on another 5 miles and finally pulled over and called the P'sP phone number only to find there was only a detour at the foot of the mountain and to come on up.
I paid my toll at the bottom and started up at 8:11 AM. Starting out was sort of pleasant and I looked around trying to find the starting line for the annual rally. I was able to locate it based on the skid marks on the road and my familiarity much related video. I mosied on up in 2nd gear and thought this isn't too bad. Not long after the half way picnic area is that last gift shop/parking area where people leave their cars and take the shuttle to to the top. Once you pass that check point the real Pike's Peak begins.

Even though this trip was on my bucket list and I will never forget it, it was the most frightening thing I have ever done on a bike, or maybe even period...
I went the entire remainder of the trip 20mph and hugged the center line. The few times I tried to look over the edge on my right, my body would physically refuse and snap my head back to eyes front with me crying out in fear! My heart was in my throat the whole way after the last check point. I had seen the videos of racers but it didn't prepare me for the real thing.

Note: The entire summit right now is a construction site. They are in the beginning stages of building a new visitors center and a waste water treatment plant at the top. So it was chaos at the summit with heavy equipment everywhere and all traffic one way, gravel every where on the last/first 1/4 mile of pavement. Almost immediately after I got off the bike I got altitude sickness and the 100 yd walk to the visitors center almost destroyed me. I was shaking and near fainting with a throbbing head and racing heart;unable to think clearly. I made myself eat a donut and hydrate and started back down as soon as I could. And yes, Chuck, it was cold at 9 AM!

I started down and coasted most of the way in 1st gear, sometimes in 2nd. Feeling better as I descended. I stopped at the Crystal Reservoir giftshop and bought the wife a gift.
Once past there the pace quickened and I was off the mountain not long after.
I made my way back to The Springs and got lunch then took 115 to Canon City. From there I went to the Royal Gorge but once there, I couldn't bring myself to pay the $27 just to walk on the bridge. I soaked up some A/C, found a hotel room on my phone and had a drink of water and headed west.
Hwy 50 from Royal Gorge to Gunnison is a delight. I cruised on into Gunnison and settled in for the nght.

BTW, Chuck, I did the Trail Ridge back in '13 the day before I met up with Phil to come up to Spearfish. Its a great road.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Clay, Someone has recommended US-550, the Million-Dollar Highway to you. I'll second that. Another great ride is CO-92 from Blue Mesa Dam (just west of Gunnison on 50) up to Crawford. From there if you ride to Delta, you can go north on US-50 to Whitewater and then, before you get to Grand Junction, turn SW on CO-141. It goes to Gateway, where there's a really good automobile museum, and then south to Narurita. I learned about it back when "Rider" Magazine celebrated their 25th anniversary. They had a list of their editor's 25 favorite rides and 141 was on it. 92 is incredible -- twisties, views, elevation changes. 141 is more sweepers through a red rock canyon.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Clay, Someone has recommended US-550, the Million-Dollar Highway
Phil
I rode 92 this morning and turned north at Hotchkiss, taking 133 to Carbondale and on to 70. If you haven't ridden 133 bewteem Carbondale and Hotchkiss, it is a barrel of monkeys. Im in Grand Junction tonight and right now Im planning to back track to 65 and go south and then do 550 down to Durango.
I have ridden 550 up from Durango once before and dont mind doing it again, but am open to trying 141 if you think it would be worth it. I do like high speed sweeping turns

What do you think? 550 south out of Delta or 141 ?

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I solved the problem
I'll forego the Grand Mesa portion.

From Grand Junction, I will take 141 down to Naturita, then I can cut back over to 550 north of Ouray and do the best part of the Million$ Hwy, finishing in Durango
2 birds, one stone

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I solved the problem
I'll forego the Grand Mesa portion.

From Grand Junction, I will take 141 down to Naturita, then I can cut back over to 550 north of Ouray and do the best part of the Million$ Hwy, finishing in Durango
2 birds, one stone
You beat me to it! That's what I was going to suggest. (Unless you wanted to stay on C0-145 through Telluride to Delores. It's another really good road. From Delores you could go south to Cortez or turn east on 184 to Mancos and end up in Durango. Then just stay on 160 back to I-25... unless you want to take another really good semi-unknown road. CO-12 south from 160 through La Veta and Cuchara to Stonewall and then out to Trinidad … and I-25.

So many roads...so little time.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Tuesday:

I headed west out of Gunnison for the turn off for CO92. Hwy50 is so much fun. I was struck by how low the lake at the Curecanti recreation area has gotten. A real shame.

92 was great as I remember it. When I arrived at Hotchkiss I turned north on CO133 and rode up to Glenwood Springs. I highly recommend tis ride. Especially the bends that skirt the lake at Paonia State Park. I was shell shocked to see that the lake is GONE. Reduced to a trickle of a stream.
At 70 I rode west to Grand Junction

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Wet Wednesday
First, thanks to Phil for helping me get off the fence about riding CO141. It was the high point of my trip. I left Grand Junction at 8:30 and rode 141 to Naturita. I realized today that I enjoy canyon running more than high altitude twisties. CO141 is a gem. I think it may be the most entertaining ride I have had in a long time. Not just the road itself but the scenery those canyons provided. As I neared Naturita I could actually see rain falling in the skies ahead. I stopped in Naturita as the rain began to fall and took cover under the awning of an abandoned office and suited up. I rode in a cold rain from there all the way to Ridgeway and all the way down the Million$ Hwy. That was a little tedious and harrowing in a spot or two. The rain didn't let up until I was almost to Durango.
I left Dallas on Saturday and I am starting back tomorrow. I always feel like I'm leaving riding on the table but I am already tired and want to get home.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Sounds like you've had a great trip, Clay. I hope you have a good ride home.

Top Bottom