Combination lock latches

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Does anyone know where I can order some combination lock draw latches for my panniers?
Thank you kindly.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Daler, I've got Franzen combination draw latches...I just haven't gotten around to mounting them yet.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I believe the website is franzenint.com. You can do a search for Franzen in the forum and find the info there if I am mistaken.

Mike

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I was able to purchase a set of locks from NoVa Chris and it will make a nice winter project. A question I have for those who have made this change. Is backing behind the piece that attaches to the body necessary?
Thank you

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I was able to purchase a set of locks from NoVa Chris and it will make a nice winter project. A question I have for those who have made this change. Is backing behind the piece that attaches to the body necessary?
Thank you
I haven't installed mine yet, but judging from the thickness of the plastic substrate, I think some aluminum reinforcement would be wise. If it wasn't required, mine would already be installed. I'm just trying to work up the ambition to remove the pannier housings for access although someone posted here about being able to sneak in an aluminum backer plate without removing the pannier housings..... must have small hands...

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't installed mine yet, but judging from the thickness of the plastic substrate, I think some aluminum reinforcement would be wise. If it wasn't required, mine would already be installed. I'm just trying to work up the ambition to remove the pannier housings for access although someone posted here about being able to sneak in an aluminum backer plate without removing the pannier housings..... must have small hands...

Mike
I'm in exactly the same place that Mike is in. I've got the latches; I'm pretty sure that some sort of backing would be needed; I'm too lazy now to get into pulling the pannier housings. I don't have particularly small hands and since I hit the deer and shattered my left hand, I'm not at all good at delicate tasks. It's a winter project for me.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
JB weld works to reinforce area. When I broke my ankle, the bags where little scratch, but he area where I had latch catch cracked. I use JB to build up the area, made is stronger, so I added JB to the other side. A chop stick can be used to push JB in areas hard to get to.

Just a reminder: I did a post under the Saddlebag Forum, quick suggestion for removing the saddlebag assemblies. Suggest you take a look at it. Key point is just remove and work on one side at a time, so the taillight assembly, rear fender and wiring all stay in position, connected to the saddlebag assembly you are not working on that is still in place on the bike. Seriously, I can get a saddlebag assembly off the bike in 30 minutes or less, presuming the clips for the lower rear hex bolts are not corroded. In that case, you may have to struggle a bit. Reinstallation goes really smoothly as well.

Top Bottom