Communication

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
A buddy of mine was using a a system that you had to send back to the factory for a new battery. No that can't be they are a big name that can't be right so I emailed the company. They come back with "we are happy to announce that we will be doing battery replacements out of the warranty period we will email you when this starts." That was last year, still no notice...
the rap on the back of the head still works...

elizilla

A guy on another list I belong to, posted that he was selling an Autocom Active-Plus for $75. I could probably dig up that email and forward it to you if you want. I don't know what all he's including with it, but I like this system - I've been running mine for years and been pretty happy with it. Runs off bike power so no batteries to change. It's not wireless though - you have to plug a lead into your helmet.

maupen

Karl, I bought one in Amazon for about $50 months ago..now I upgraded my comm system to a couple of Sena, mainly because I want communication with the passenger.

Pros: High volume, works great with my iPhone 4 , I received a call riding at 70 miles and the caller didn't notice that I was riding until I told him, FM/AM radio, voice recognition, LOW price, great package, remote control!

Cons: You have to read carefully the user manual in order to program it, don't try to synchronize your phone contact, because the sk4000 do it EVERY time you connect it! you cannot connect with other riders, I don't know if it's really waterproof over time

Conclusion: It has several shortcomings, but you can go wrong with this price, I love it the remote control, the radio and the volume.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My phone gets shut off when I ride, well all the time actually. Intercom and maybe bike to bike com would be what I am looking for. This unit does not do that.
As to reviews, If I had read what we have posted here on this board before I bought my NT I would not have bought it and I love my bike. Thanks Cathrine. but more assembly time before every ride,...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My Scala Q2 and SENA get used mainly for music and radio when I am riding. The phone is good because my job is one of those 24/7 on call kind of things so I can still ride and stay in contact.

The Q2 is OK but does not have enough volume for higher speeds. The SENA is good for volume but does not have a built in radio.

I would not scoff at prices. There are new models every couple of years that make the older ones not as valuable. I got the Q2 for under $100 because the G4 had been out for a while.

The Parrot is not as well known so it has to sell for less to break into the market.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I am no longer an essential person and I love it. My phone is for 1-800 come get me. Odd that music is so much part of my life, the money my mother wasted on music lessons never made much difference on what I can play but on the bike wind and machine noise and the odd scream in the helmet seem to suffice. The wine and song after the ride work for me.
Diversity can be a good thing

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Bought a UCLEAR com setup... 21st century here I come.

Suburban

I have Sena 5. Can not yet actually recommend as I have used it only a few times but so far, so good. Nothing bad to report. Communication was perfectly clear and loud enough that even in highway speeds we could hear each other and there was no need to raise the voice.

Unfortunately I can not comment on battery time and music/mobile phone use. It paired to my phone nicely but I really do not crave additional entertainment while riding so I have not listened to podcasts on the bike and I prefer not to answer the phonecalls too.

S.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
My brother and I are using the Sena SMH10 on our trip. They are nothing short of fantastic. We talk all day long - at least 8 hours, and have never run out of battery. Pairs easily with my Zumo 550 and cell phone. The only problem we have had is the GPS directions interrupt our banter while we're riding, and it takes a few seconds to reconnect so we can continue our conversation.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
#1 to the Sena 10. I use mine as a power amp to listen to my tunes from my Zumo 550. Sounds good and the range is good when riding with my riding buddy who has the second unit.

Down side is no instant commo when listing to music for road warnings. By the time it makes to conversion the hazard is passed. ie watch out for the deer. rock in the road etc.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've had the Sena 5 for about a year and have loved the way it can play music and allow phone when I'm riding solo. I regularly ride with others that have the Sena 10 and we've had no problem talking to each other for hours.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, I like the Sena 10 that my brother and I also use on our trips.

But, the Uclear has come out since i bought it and I really like the technology in the Uclear unit.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I too am looking at the UCLEAR and need to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. What has been your experience with it? Wendell
It was easy to put in it paired easy with my new Phone. I have not used the intercom or bike to bike or streamed any music yet. Will share the results when they get here. My phone seems to be the thing that needs its stacking swivel aligned.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I had gotten very comfortable with the UClear. New Phone fixed a lot of problems and it was working great all the way across the country and back. Music and GPS both on the phone and a Tom Tom Rider. Managed to knock it off my helmet a few weeks ago and it was dangling from the speaker wire. Unplugged the usb connector and stuck it in my pocket. Forgot to zip up and lost it. I miss it. I want a new one.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I had gotten very comfortable with the UClear. New Phone fixed a lot of problems and it was working great all the way across the country and back. Music and GPS both on the phone and a Tom Tom Rider. Managed to knock it off my helmet a few weeks ago and it was dangling from the speaker wire. Unplugged the usb connector and stuck it in my pocket. Forgot to zip up and lost it. I miss it. I want a new one.
I have Uclear dual kit I need to sell used very little in great condition. I went with Sena 20S dual, can each have smart phone connected to each headset

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
dual just means 2 units, can be used a just single unit. that would mean you would have 2 to lose!!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..Have been looking at the Sena 5 and 10...raybob]

Deb and I had Cardo intercoms previously but I was never happy with the volume and range was so-so. She rides her own bike so range is a factor. The Sena SMH5-FM was reasonable and about half the price of the Sena (approx $250 for 2) and I didn't need any of the upscale features offered on their higher-priced models. Sometimes the Cardo would lose contact all on its own but we've never had that problem with the Sena.

The speakers are much larger than the Cardo speakers and volume is more than adequate. Often times, I had to run my Sena at full volume to hear the radio on the interstate but on the Sena that would blow out my eardrums! FM reception is good and just using the intercom, the battery lasts about 8 hours. We've had our set for 2-years now and so far they've been very reliable. :)

Top Bottom