Commuting Tips & Advice?

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Hey Gang!

I'm wondering what everyone who has used their NT for commuting might have in the way of "Tips & Advice".

I have a 40 mile commute to work each way that I'm considering using my NT for to include battling rush hour to an office. I think this could be particularly advantageous (and fun) because my NT is a fuel sipper at 52 MPG whereas my wife's 2001 Hyundai gets the wonderful mileage of a small SUV. I have the left pannier free and the Honda OEM trunk installed. The right pannier is for rain gear, first aid kit, manual, spare gloves, flashlight, small air compressor, tire patch kit, spare fuses and bulbs and a future tool kit (though what to put in a tool kit I have no idea yet - doing research on the forum). One concern is that it's a business casual office environment and I haven't quite figured out how to arrive (in gear) without looking disheveled, perhaps a change of clothes in a gym bag - but I fear that could get a little old day after day. I have 2 piece gear and the right types to ride in the cold of winter or heat of summer and heavy downpours with some high-visibility gear for commuting. Maybe a 1-piece suit to reduce gear-ache? Fortunately however, motorcycle parking is free in designated spots.

What has helped you guys save time, effort and headache? Any tips for gear and clothes? What have you learned in commuting to and from work? Any riding advice for the ride? Does it take significant additional time in preparation? What advice and tips would be beneficial for a new rider?

Thanks!

- Gabe

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sounds like you are pretty well organized already. The Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit is great for commuting. Easy on/off over your regular clothes, warm and dry too. It is actually easier on/off than the two piece suits. Downside is the cost, but they last a loooooong time.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I use to have a 40 mile ride to work, and other then rain gear I never needed anything. IF you check things and keep your NT up, it should need almost nothing, for commuting .
Pack you rain gear, and have a change of shoes, dress as you would for any ride. I was the 'IT' guy so I did not bring much except a computer, and screw driver to and from work.
I road all 2 lanes, at 55+/- and parked in the lots for the building I supported. Since most of the time I was riding an AirHead, I had the typical tool kit (minus the tire repair kit).
You will find what you need as time passes, and leave open space for bringing milk home etc. Only time I need anything was that crap of a battery 'WestCo', had 2 die with 2 different bikes at 6 months. Do NOT buy WestCo battery for replacement on anything.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I commuted to work on a motorcycle for 28 years in the mountains of northern New Mexico, short commute, 8 miles approx 15 minutes.
Other than good riding and rain gear all I did was stay on top of the maintenance and pay attention to the overall condition of the bike.
The only problem that ever left me stranded was a dead battery.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I have commuted for the last 4 and a half years on my Deauville, covering about 50,000 miles so far. I have the bike serviced by a mechanic I trust at the appropriate intervals. I also do a thorough inspection of the bike each weekend when she gets washed (not just tyres etc. but seat off, some of the easy to remove panels off). I've caught two fasteners working loose before they fell off and caused a problem.

As everyone has said, lots of tools aren't necessary. I have the Honda tool kit under my seat and have added tyre slime, disposable surgical gloves, fuses, 2 bungees, Hi Viz vest, Duck tape and some araldite. The Duck tape and araldite are useful if you have an off or the lids won't close (I have a broken tongue on on of my lids and need to glue it back on occasionally). The Hi Viz vest is law in France if you break down but is also useful in frog-stranglers (for visibility and, if you have a waterproof one, as an extra layer of protection) and when it's a tad cool (-20C was the last time I used it).

We, in France, can Filter and Lane Split so I've added a bumper strip to the panniers. It's about 16" long and not only helps when you get a bit close filtering (who me? :wink:) but also when parked - Numpties can park a bit too close to you at times...

As Chris (Daboo) says, learn the route but I would add "don't become complacent" as holes etc. can appear over-night in the surface. Watch for oil/diesel especially on tight corners, near petrol stations and heavy vehicle depots!

As to clothes, I currently carry my work trousers rolled up (not folded) and my work shoes (these are in a cloth bag so as not to dirty the trousers) in small backpack in the right hand pannier (helps to keep them warm) and, there is still room for some papers if needed. The trousers survive well and look presentable. If possible keep a change of clothes at work as an "insurance policy", I have had need of this twice when caught in a sudden, unexpected downpour.

As to lighting etc. I would strongly recommend some extra lights at the front and back especially some form of modulating brake lights. Get a loud horn, a Stebel or Fiamms. You're going to need to attract someone's attention. I have to admit to being rather naughty when passing anyone driving with a phone to their ear. I will give them a full blast on the stebel as I pass their window.

When riding in traffic have your first 2 fingers of your right hand covering the brake lever, don't touch it as you don't want to ride with the brake light on. This will save approximately half a second in reaction time which could be all you need to avoid an accident. I also have my thumb and forefinger of my left hand covering the horn and passing light switch and I flash and/or beep at the least sign of wayward driving.

Learn to watch the other vehicles. Sounds sensible but what I mean is there is usually a minute, tell-tale sign that there are going to do something (stupid?) just before they do for example, a very slight weave. Learn to pick up on these signs.

I commute on the bike because it saves me about an hour every day (and I love motorcycles).

Last edited:
Bike
Bonneville T120
I don't have much to add. My commute is only 5 miles and there's little traffic. Really the only issue I face are the ignorant crossing guards for the school in town. They stop all traffic as each individual child reaches the crossing. I've seen the backed traffic up for more than a mile. That is no exaggeration, I just checked the distance with Google Maps. I have a great deal of flexibility when I come and go so I just avoid that time.
Rain gear, when rain is predicted. I've only been caught at work once or twice in 5 years. I usually leave a shoes, a jacket and hat at work so walking around the campus I don't need to wear my motorcycle jacket or boots.
The NT is a great bike for a commute.
Good Luck.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The Hi Viz vest is law in France if you break down but is also useful in frog-stranglers (for visibility and, if you have a waterproof one, as an extra layer of protection) and when it's a tad cool (-20C was the last time I used it).
John, what's araldite? and do you really ride when it's -20C? If you do, you're a braver man than I'll ever be!

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Chris & everyone - thank you guys, this is great advice... especially what to look for when riding the same roads the same time, hazards with varying weather and bad driving behavior. I'm thinking the a one-piece all-weather suit might be a worthy investment and I already have emergency roadside assistance. I want to definitely guard against complacency when riding - there are tons of bad drivers around the Washington DC Beltway and I don't mind riding in rainy weather, though snow and ice I would probably avoid. The cover is a great idea too, there are plenty of pigeons around. Got the air-bag high-viz vest too should the worst happen.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
A lot of good stuff said here - -

Just an additional note on clothing. Like you, I work in a working casual office - khakis and collared shirt are the norm. I wear my office clothes, except for my boots. I wear some TCX touring boots that are not flashy and are comfortable to walk in. I doubt anybody has noticed that I don't have regular shoes on. I also wear overpants. Once in the office, I just remove them and store them on a hook behind the door, as I do my jacket. Gloves and helmet go on the desk extension.

I've owned both Olympia and Motoport overpants, and both brands work just fine - very easy to put on and take off.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I commute year round on Long Island, about 25 miles round trip. I have to wear a collared shirt, tie and casual dress pants. I wear this on my ride and don't need to change at work. I keep rain gear on the bike and wear the rain jacket when it gets cold in the winter. I wear the classic leather motorcycle boots riding and for work and have raised no eyebrows for dress code violation. I have electric vest and grips. Nothing else is necessary. The only time I don't ride is snow or ice.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
John, what's araldite? and do you really ride when it's -20C? If you do, you're a braver man than I'll ever be!
Araldite is a two part adhesive which is pretty good at sticking anything to anything.

Riding in the cold is not a problem. We sometimes get temperatures down to -20C but that's rare, -10C to -12C is fairly common if there is High pressure in winter. If the roads are dry, I'll ride regardless of the temperature. If the roads are wet, I'll ride down to about -5C ish as they are pretty good at griting the roads and keeping the ice at bay (below about -7C the grit stops working so that's the absolute limit for me on a wet road). Also, with the volume of traffic, it tends to dry the roads. I will ride in snow if they have cleared the roads. I will ride home if it has just started snowing but, I won't ride on impacted snow. I will not ride when the roads are icy.

Generally there are 2 weeks in the year when I use the car. This year, there have been none so far. Last year it was about 3 weeks. Mostly, in winter, the temperature is between 8C and 3C and damp so I have no problems riding.

Did I mention I liked motorcycling? :D

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
One other thing I used to do on those days I went into the office was to keep a pair of shoes there (actually, they're slippers that pass for shoes). Then I didn't have to klunk around in weather-proof boots all day long.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also have a pair of shoes I keep at work. I found my feet get to hot if I try to wear my boot all day in the office.

I also use the suiting up time to shift from my work frame of mind to my commuting mindset. When I used to drive my car home from work I would sometimes find that I did not remember actually driving home. I would get into autopilot as I would be running though the activities of the day and what I had to do the next day. Being in auto pilot is not a good way to ride a motorcycle. That extra 5 minutes or so suiting up also allows those eager to get home time to get out of the parking lot and in front of me so I don't have to deal with them.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I use my bike primarily as a commuter. May take the long way on occasion but it is still the means to get me to work. My go to tool is the on line weather reporting. I have three of them that I look at and will drive when there is lightning forecast for my ride time or my driveway looks like a glacier. I carry my cell phone for tools and with the ginormus topcase most of the gear stays out in the bike during warmer weather. Recently it has been back to a coat that can keep me both warm and dry and with the vents open work in warmer weather as well.

I typically go to work at the warmest time of day and leave at around midnight to come home. Gear that provides a level of protection from a crash as well as the elements make me a lot more comfortable. Having a second set of gloves when things are cooler or to replace wet ones can be very nice to have along. My motivation is to have fun rather than cost savings. Can't recall more than a handful of times that I have driven to work this year since March.

Top Bottom