Coolant Bottom Water Pump

tawilke46

While starting to install the Hepko & Becker bars on my NT I noticed a drop of coolant on the bottom of the water pump. I have not had any pooling under the bike nor have I noticed any other leaking of coolant. Just this one drop on the bottom of the water pump.
Is this a cause for concern? Sure don't want a pump failure in the heat down here!
Obviously came from the weep hole on the pump. Had to come through the seal on the pump shaft. Wonder if my seal is failing already?????

Anyone else had a problem with coolant leak at this location?

EDIT: Just a thought. The bike is parked on the sidestand almost all the time. Since the bike leans toward the left, could it be that the coolant is pushing against the seal when parked and may leak a drop or two? There is no indication that it is leaking while I am riding and streaking to the back of the bike.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
A random drop from the weep hole is nothing to be alarmed about... perfectly normal. Just fer fun, if you can see the water pump on your car or truck, check the weep hole. You will find evidence of 'weeping" there too. They are weep holes, that's what they do!

;^)

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I think it sounds normal. I would also keep an eye on it to verify it is not increasing.
The sidestand would not make any difference. While running the system is full of coolant and is pressurized so the seal is normally holding back the pressurized coolant.

Brad

bicyclist

Tim, it isn't unusual for a little weepage to occur, as others have said. And your plan to just keep an eye on it is a good one. On my bike, it got worse and I decided to replace the pump before tooting off across the country. The pump cost about $92 from Ron Ayers and was a simple job to replace. It hasn't leaked a drop, since. So, if you have a problem after the warranty runs out, it isn't a big deal.

I've never heard of a pump failing catastrophically. They may leak, but you can keep the overflow tank topped up and keep running.

By the Honda manual the NT can normally have a very slight seepage from the vent hole on the pump. Note the term slight. Mine has done it twice-one or two drops. My best guess the bike had been unused for an unusual length of time-several days-in changing temperatures of the seasons. Otherwise I have no idea what caused it. There has been no adverse effect that I can report.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

By the Honda manual the NT can normally have a very slight seepage from the vent hole on the pump. Note the term slight. Mine has done it twice-one or two drops. My best guess the bike had been unused for an unusual length of time-several days-in changing temperatures of the seasons. Otherwise I have no idea what caused it. There has been no adverse effect that I can report.

I have not had the NT out for three weeks. That would be a good explanation. Thanks.

rcase13

Must be a young guy. A little seepage or weeping is normal as you get older. The design has been around a long time. I am talking about the bike of course.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Must be a young guy. A little seepage or weeping is normal as you get older. The design has been around a long time. I am talking about the bike of course.
I am a lot if things, but young I am not. Unless you consider 66 young. Some folks on this forum would call me a youngster!

Top Bottom