Coolant hoses (see picture) = potential trouble, experience or comments pleas

loonytuna

I noticed that these hoses are very exposed and if the wrong thing got kicked up it could turn a good day into a very bad one! The larger hose is of course a nice big target.

Anyone have experience with this or suggestions, I thought about a simple larger ID hose, split open and ziptied onto this one, I'd like to hear from anyone who has any ideas etc.

I know there is an "undercowl" that I have seen on here, most of what I read indicates people use it for rain protection, but it seems to protect the hoses too. I think I'm looking for a less expensive approach, and to see if there are any reports of actual problems.

Also .... how do i put a picture right here instead of "attaching" it?

Attachments

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have not heard of anyone having a problem in that area. The probability of something hitting a hose and cutting it is quite slim.

OP
OP

loonytuna

I agree with the percentages, which just means it's gonna happen to ME!

Thanks for the reply!

Oddly enough I have wondered about hose vunerability from day one but in following this forum I have nver seen the problem mentioned. In an odd way I have always been concerned about the fact that those hoses are in contact with each other and in some degree have to flex and rub. After 20 K I have not seen it and I do look now and again.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The only problem I have with the hose placement is that I keep thinking one of my exaust pipes is really dirty. Then I remember that it is only the coolent hose. :rofl1:

Actually, the only vehicle I have seen that had that problem (Hose hanging down and getting torn up by road debris) was the old Chrysler Horizon. The water pump was the lowest thing hanging off the bottom front of the motor. It would often get damaged by road debris or even a bad dip in the road. My father had one and had to replace the water pump three or four times. Even then, it was not the hose itself, but the water pump, which was made out of pot metal and cracked at the slightest bump.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Having had to cut coolant hose for one reason or another I've found it really tough to do. I can't envision a piece of road debris slicing through it in a casual way without it being a real obvious incident that causes a crash, breaks open an engine case, or scares the livin' daylights out of you.

elizilla

Having had to cut coolant hose for one reason or another I've found it really tough to do. I can't envision a piece of road debris slicing through it in a casual way without it being a real obvious incident that causes a crash, breaks open an engine case, or scares the livin' daylights out of you.
This. Especially the pre-curved hoses that Honda uses for this purpose. They are really tough.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You're far more likely to damage the other rubber component on your bike....the tires, than ever seeing debris cut those hoses. If you hit something that will damage those hoses, that debris is likely large enough to cause you to crash.

Those hoses are fine, not something I would even think about worrying about.

I noticed that these hoses are very exposed and if the wrong thing got kicked up it could turn a good day into a very bad one! The larger hose is of course a nice big target.

Anyone have experience with this or suggestions, I thought about a simple larger ID hose, split open and ziptied onto this one, I'd like to hear from anyone who has any ideas etc.

I know there is an "undercowl" that I have seen on here, most of what I read indicates people use it for rain protection, but it seems to protect the hoses too. I think I'm looking for a less expensive approach, and to see if there are any reports of actual problems.

Also .... how do i put a picture right here instead of "attaching" it?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You're far more likely to damage the other rubber component on your bike....the tires, than ever seeing debris cut those hoses. If you hit something that will damage those hoses, that debris is likely large enough to cause you to crash.

Those hoses are fine, not something I would even think about worrying about.
+1, it does seem like they are exposed but there are lots of bikes that have similar hoses exposed and it's probably rare that something hits one enough to worry about it. I'd worry more about checking my tires every ride.

Does the aftermarket lower nose piece cover that up?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The Honda one is kind of ugly,...any ideas?
Yes, first quit calling Phil's expensive, imported, Honda Cowl ugly...:eek1: :D :rofl1: :crackup: :rofl1: :crackup: You don't want to rile him up...

Second PM rfoshaug, he is looking at getting the one you like, see this thread, and may have some updated details on their availability and costs...

OP
OP

loonytuna

Yes, first quit calling Phil's expensive, imported, Honda Cowl ugly...:eek1: :D :rofl1: :crackup: :rofl1: :crackup: You don't want to rile him up...

Second PM rfoshaug, he is looking at getting the one you like, see this thread, and may have some updated details on their availability and costs...
Whoops ..... sorry Phil, I had no idea you had that beautiful piece of artwork in your collection.

Beauty , eye of the beholder, form over function, or the other way around etc ..... MY BAD!

redLdr1 - Thanks for the heads up!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also have the Honda undercowl and I can not say its better than other aftermarket versions but I can say it is a simple, effect design and I don't worry about it blocking airflow to the motor and I can still change the oil without removing anything. If I were just interested in a bikes looks I would probably be riding a different bike anyway.

Last edited:

elizilla

I have had other bikes with hoses exposed like that, and their failure mode is that they rot and leak where they feed into the bike. Even when they're rotted, getting them off to replace them is tough, and putting the new ones on is even worse, because they are stiff and hard and you can barely flex them enough to get them onto the fittings. A rotted 15 year old hose is still pretty darned tough. They aren't plain rubber - they have mesh belting in them just like tires.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The OEM undercowl doesn't completely hide the hoses, but it does give protection against cold and wet. I kind of like its looks.

But then I did pay a bunch of money for it. Didn't have to paint it, though, and I'm not thinking about what I can do to it to keep if from cooking me.

OP
OP

loonytuna

The OEM undercowl doesn't completely hide the hoses, but it does give protection against cold and wet. I kind of like its looks.

But then I did pay a bunch of money for it. Didn't have to paint it, though, and I'm not thinking about what I can do to it to keep if from cooking me.
Phil - I'm not just saying this; I like the way it looks on your bike.

Maybe I just needed to see it on a real world bike, so thanks!

Now, how about a loan!

The general consensus here is not to worry, I guess being an old AIRHEAD, hoses are just one extra thing hanging there that can pose a problem ..... I'll stop worrying now!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm not thinking about what I can do to it to keep if from cooking me.
Just to keep you straight, :rolleyes1: and to not confuse other folks, it isn't "cooking me" and I have never overheated... If anything the cowl's ducting effect makes the motor run cooler.

But, the sorry excuse for heat reflective tape Skid Marx supplied does result in a roasting fiberglass odor... And the smell is quite noticeable when stopped at a long traffic light! A re-lining with some decent tape should solve the aroma. A couple extra slots around the exhaust pipe should help as well. Running something like the Skid Marx, that was designed for a much cooler climate, :ukflag1: does have its moments...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
LOL! Wayne, I'm just jerking your chain. I really like the way the Skidmarx looks. If I had known about its availability earlier, I probably would have gotten it. But I don't miss the odor of cooking fiberglass.

Top Bottom