coolant leaks

TCBronson

Anybody ever have any coolant leaks? After I road to Prudhoe Bay and back I developed a crack in my radiator so I had it repaired and that may be where the leak is. Otherwise I was just wondering if any one else has had any coolant leaks.
Tom

No leaks. When new, my coolant went down a little. I topped it off and it has been good since. Probably just burped up a bubble.

Phil Tarman and I thought briefly about riding to Prudhoe Bay last summer, but decided it would be too hard on the bikes. I only rode as far as Chena Hot Springs out of Fairbanks, stopped at the end of the pavement, and took a dip in the hot spring. We talked to some guys who had ridden up there. Some made it easily on "plastic bikes" and some did major damage to their KTMs. It all depended on how wet the road was the day they were there.

I haven't had any coolant leaks (maybe partly because I didn't ride to Prudhoe Bay;)), but I did have a leaky water pump. There are two seals on the water pump shaft. The one that leaked on my bike was the crankcase seal, so it leaked oil. But the pump-side seal can fail. If it did, you'd leak coolant. It would come out of the left side of the bike toward the back of the fairing.

Anybody ever have any coolant leaks?
Here is what I wrote when I did the 8000 mile maintenance and found a coolant leak. Hasn't leaked since.

Had a small coolant leak and my level was slightly below the low level mark on the overflow tank. The only evidence of a leak that I could find was at the overflow hose connection at the radiator cap. There were stains and some blue-green coolant residue on the hose clip closest to the radiator cap. See pic. The hose was flaring out from being to far up the fitting and the clip was to far up to help seal it. I clipped off ~1/4" of flared out hose, cleaned everything, and now hoping for the best.

I had a coolant leak- crack in radiator. Had to replace it. Not sure how the crack happen for me.

I had a leak in radiator 2 weeks after the 1 yr warranty. It was on back side, so not caused by something hitting it. Just a bad weld. Didn't have time to wait to try and get a free replacement, I RIDE MAN, don't have time to try and get something that would be out of warranty and had about 31,500 miles at that point in 1 yr, would not accommodate my wishes

yes, had coolant leak just over 26,000 miles, took it in and showed them the results of the leak but did not know just where it was at, showed up on the left side. dealer could not make it leak, it would not leak except when doing highway speeds, never showed up on the floor of my garage. dealer tried to just run the engine and make it leak on the floor, did not leak. they ask me to come get the bike and then I informed them that you must ride it at highway speed to show up, one of the techs road it home over the weekend, he lived 40 miles from the shop. no leaks on the way home, but it DID leak on the way back to the shop after the weekend. they replaced the radiator under warranty. always buy the extended warranty when you buy a new bike. took a 4,000 mile test ride after I got it back from the dealer, all is well.

RE coolant leak, parts availability

Thanks everyone. I may have to get a new radiator. Anybody concerned with parts availability for our NT's since they do not sell them here any more? I know Honda will supply parts for discontinued models for a while.

I am curious about the new CTX 1300 and want to check one out when they arrive. I know it's going to be heavier.

Tom

Send it to Myler's Radiators www.motorcycleradiators.com 1-800-367-7699

They'll pressure test it, find the leak, fix it and pressure test it again.

They fixed a bent and leaking Versys radiator for me and it looks better than new.

Re: RE coolant leak, parts availability

Thanks everyone. I may have to get a new radiator. Anybody concerned with parts availability for our NT's since they do not sell them here any more? I know Honda will supply parts for discontinued models for a while.

I am curious about the new CTX 1300 and want to check one out when they arrive. I know it's going to be heavier.

Tom
if you want new one, try www.partzilla.com old website was powersportsplus. in albany, georgia. was lowest price i could find last year for new radiator

Many of my older Hondas developed coolant leaks where the tube fittings are joined to the radiator. Apparently whatever process Honda used to assemble those parts together wasn't durable after a decade or so. Fortunately this was a super easy fix. Take the radiator off, take it to a local radiator shop, and they would use a torch to seal up the joints, pressure test the radiator in a tank, then spray paint it black. You couldn't even tell where they had fixed it. Cost was $20 or $30 and once or twice I was able to persuade them to do it for me while I waited.

It was interesting how, when I worked on my NT, I kept finding things that looked just like what I had in my old Hondas. The NT was very much a product of the same design and manufacturing system. I wouldn't be at all surprised if NT radiators had the same weakness as the older Honda radiators.

10k miles on my nt and I just discovered coolant leak on left side where tubes are attached to tank.
Recently hit some big pot holes fairly hard.
Think this might have been the cause.
Ordered new radiator a few days ago.
When I called they said never had a honda radiator fail.
Dealer giving me a pretty good discount, so new one should only cost about $150.
Luckily my son has the patience to carefully remove fairings and will install new.
Bike would definitely benefit from better suspension or smoother roads.
I guess it could have been worse.
Vic

Ron Ayers
19010-MEW-305 RADIATOR
$137.79

Free shipping over $89

Ron Ayers
19010-MEW-305 RADIATOR
$137.79

Free shipping over $89

I just discovered leak showing up on the hose and probably coming from the radiator. The bike has only 22K and I am little disappointed with Honda reliability.
Has any one have it installed by the dealer and how much did they charged for the replacement? Any recommendations/shortcut from those who performed work themselves.
John

John, I've had a couple of coolant leaks. One of them was O-rings on a cross-over hose, the other one was on my Concours and was a seal between the crankshaft and the water pump.

I replaced my radiator when it developed a leak. The only difficulty was getting the tupper ware off and back on.

Back
Top Bottom