Coolant refill

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The short answer, NO…

You will need to remove the right Mid-Cowl panel to gain uninstructed access to the radiator cap, which requires a series of other sub-panels to be removed first. Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for.

You will soon find out that the removal of the Tupperware is required to do any kind of work on this bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
When I had the plastic removed on the right side for some task, I modified the shield that covers access to the radiator cap. I made it into a removable shield to make it much easier to get at the cap. :)

By the way have you looked at the level in your recovery tank? If that tank is low, refilling it can help fill the radiator.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
By the way have you looked at the level in your recovery tank? If that tank is low, refilling it can help fill the radiator.
According to the owner's manual, you should only add coolant via the overflow/recovery tank. So I guess the radiator cap only needs to come off if you are replacing all the coolant in the radiator?

And I was wondering about the recovery tank level, and according to the owner's manual, you have to check it "at normal operating temperature", not when cold. That confused me for a while. It appeared really low at cold, but when warm, it was right between the lines on the tank.

OP
OP
Thanks guys, I just got the bike and it being a 2011 and 10 years old I have no knowledge if this was ever serviced. I'm guessing not so I want to drain it.

I know its probably been said 2 million times before but why make it so impossible to simply gain access to the radiator cap? Ridiculous!

Rant over....

Craig

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The coolant recovery tank doesn't really fill the cooling system per se, rather it keeps a already full cooling system topped off and free of air. When the engine is warming up, excess coolant and air if its present will escape through the pressure relief in the radiator cap, and make their way to the coolant tank. When the engine cools down after a hot run, slight vacuum is generated in the cooling system, pulling raw coolant from the recovery tank into the engine, theoretically keeping the cooling system full and free of air bubbles.

The coolant reservoir level should not vary much between hot and cold, if the main cooling system is filled properly and free of air. A level that keeps dropping in the tank on successive days usually indicates a leak somewhere. If you drain and fill the cooling system on the NT, the level might drop in the recovery tank for a few days after that and then should stabilize if everything's right, as air gets purged out and replaced with coolant. The cooling system on the NT is somewhat complex with several hoses and plenty of places for air pockets to form, so it's kind of important that you get as much air out as possible when filling it.

You can buy a handy cooling system filling funnel at most auto parts stores, made by Lisle, that'll help you get all the air out of it on refill.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
You can buy a handy cooling system filling funnel at most auto parts stores, made by Lisle, that'll help you get all the air out of it on refill.
Good to know, any recommendation on which to buy ( google gave several options).

Cooling flush is in my future also as I don't think it has been flushed for quite some time.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Buy the Lisle 24680 with the standard adapters, one of the adapters will fit the NT, you have to stack a couple medium o-rings on top of the yellow adapter before putting the metal cap on, to compress the washer between the adapter and the fill neck on the NT, other than that it's pretty straightforward. Use the 45 angle to get the funnel to clear the frame.

OP
OP
Took off the right side middle cover to expose the overflow reservoir. I am able to reach in and unscrew the radiator cap. Not easy but do-able. I'm going to drain it and use a hand pump I have to refill.

Craig

OP
OP
In case anyone wants to save themselves from taking half the bike apart to gain access to the Radiator cap. This is the pump I used. Screwed right onto the Coolant jug.

The hardest part is reaching in and unscrewing the radiator cap but its do-able with some strength of fingers.

Craig

Attachments

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I've replaced the radiator cap on the NT during all coolant changes, it's a fairly low pressure cap and the pressure relief spring seems to age, as well as the rubber seals. Replacing the cap brings the cooling system pressure back to original. Remove the crusty buildup on the fill neck with Scotchbrite or similar before replacing.

Top Bottom