Cooler for my top box or panniers? Picnics by NT

Bike
2010 NT700V
Is there a good way to transport food or refreshments on my NT while keeping them cold for many hours? I am looking for good quality solutions. Also please pitch in any two up motorcycle to picnic experence you have had.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you've got a topbox you could sure put a couple of small 6-pack size coolers in it. The same would easily go in the left panneri. If you've got big lids, you could get a lot in the left pannier.

I don't know if this is a useful two-up picnic tip or not, but 14 years ago a couple of weeks ago, I took Joanne up Poudre Canyon on the back of my GL-650i Silvewring and she had packed a picnic of sausage, cheese, and fruit, and I took a cooler of water and pop. That picnic probably is what helped us figure out that we had a future together.

skiper

I tried lashing a soft box cooler from walmart onto where the hard box mounts. It worked great, no movement even with a full size watermelon. Handles all kinds of stuff, and can have smallere soft coolers with frozen water bottles etc. Added feature is will fold flat when empty. Went to a Buhddist Monastery in the Catskill woods that felt like being out of the country. Monks wore bright orange robes , same color Kristo used on the flags he wrapped Central Park in a few years back. They are really something to observe. There is a palpable vibe to the temples and surrounding woods / ponds . Nt's are great for such places - with the stealth exhaust signature and all. Next time there will be some photos. Oh, yeah, forgot to mention .. in the temple with five hundred bhuddas one was giving us the finger ! How do i know ? said hello to every one in there... I'd bet that gesture means something a little different than here in the good ol' USA. over and up for now... ralph

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Well if you want to go "First Class" we have the Harley Davidson Thermal Soft Cooler Picnic Set and the Roast and Roll Coffee Set like pictured below. There are all sorts of similar picnic / coffee sets like them, sans the H-D logos and ridiculous prices :rolleyes1:, on eBay...just put in "picnic set" for your search... Thermos made some very good sets over the years.

Attachments

bicyclist

I use a Polar Bear Cooler (google it). They come in different sizes; mine's the 12 pack size. It'll easily keep ice all day. I have a couple of straps to clip it to the passenger seat.

Attachments

elizilla

A Givi topbox is waterproof and can be filled with ice.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I actually got a softsided cooler at Wal-Mart that had a pretty stout hard plastic inside, removable. I think it was around 22 bucks. I had visited my folks in Wisconsin last october and wanted a carry-on bag to fill with Usingers Sausage from Milwaukee. (THE BEST!). My plan is to beef up the bottom with some aluminum flat stock and bolt through the bottom into where the back "rack" has the bolts on top. This was going to be my low cost top case but alas, all the parts still sitting in my garage waiting for me. It should work great, is a nice size, I am guessing about 14x20x 12 high. When I finally get around to it, I will let you know.

skiper

I actually got a softsided cooler at Wal-Mart that had a pretty stout hard plastic inside, removable. I think it was around 22 bucks. I had visited my folks in Wisconsin last october and wanted a carry-on bag to fill with Usingers Sausage from Milwaukee. (THE BEST!). My plan is to beef up the bottom with some aluminum flat stock and bolt through the bottom into where the back "rack" has the bolts on top. This was going to be my low cost top case but alas, all the parts still sitting in my garage waiting for me. It should work great, is a nice size, I am guessing about 14x20x 12 high. When I finally get around to it, I will let you know.
yes... have same kind 12x20x12 and was thinking same thing , can only imagine the scene if it split with all them weenies spilling on the road. Once on way into NYC at pre dawn a truck full of levis spilled the load and people were going crazy - scooping all they could carry - dashing in front of oncoming traffic... folks can go nuts you know. maybe they should bring back that kind of TV again. remember all you can grab or fit in your cart...that's some zany reality.

skiper

Bet it would be a hit. Just the right amount of greed and carnage - also a good way to thin the herd.
yes , it was quite a sight. the blue pulp was shredding in the road, i'll bet nobody ever rode an mc over that mess. imagine the scene if the weiners spilled on the highway...

Top Bottom