Corbin or Sargent?

OP
OP

oldyaler

Just send me a check for about $8K and you'll be close to a BMW R1200RT at least in cost! :D
;););). I guess I should have said" as close to BMW "ERGONOMICS" as I can get".:doh1:

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
oldyaler said: "Yea, I'm trying to get as close to a BMW R1200RT as I can."

I don't know about riding an RT, but as far as sitting on one goes, they "fit" me better than anything else I've ever sat on. My NT is getting close to that magic point.

OP
OP

oldyaler

oldyaler said: "Yea, I'm trying to get as close to a BMW R1200RT as I can."

I don't know about riding an RT, but as far as sitting on one goes, they "fit" me better than anything else I've ever sat on. My NT is getting close to that magic point.
That's exactly what I meant Phil. I was hoping that it would be possible to get the NT to that point. At my age comfort and wind protection is the #1 priorty.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I love the RT on some levels but the cost of purchase, & cost of ownership combined with some of the chatter on the forums regarding the durability of the last few years of BMW firmed up my purchase of the NT. It's a neat concept; albeit I wish they had a version done with their F800 motor.

I don't know if I would have bought an F800ST if it had R1200RT ergonomics or not, but it was a looooooonnnnnghhh way from the RT ergonomically. I couldn't have ridden an 800St for ten miles, much less for 10,000.

OP
OP

oldyaler

I don't know if I would have bought an F800ST if it had R1200RT ergonomics or not, but it was a looooooonnnnnghhh way from the RT ergonomically. I couldn't have ridden an 800St for ten miles, much less for 10,000.
The NT is exactly the type of motorcycle I've been looking for- a mid displacement motorcycle with good wind protection and comfortable ergos. If the NT becomes a popular model in the U.S maybe other brands will follow suit. I'd like to see Suzuki produce the same type motorcycle based on the DL1000 or DL650 engine. Some will say they already do with the VStroms,so, let me add, a more "streetified" version with better visual appeal. Those VStroms are U-G-L-Y :eek1:.

Last edited:

CoolNT

BMW, with their RT, have it down really well when it comes to Ergo's and engine heat management. I test rode one a 2010 on the highway and some roads. The handling is awesome. Where they did fall short was dealer network across the nation, durability and cost of ownership. I'm glad I got the NT though Honda really needs to improve heat dissipation issues especially with their sport and regular touring lineups.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Some will say they already do with the VStroms,so, let me add, a more "streetified" version with better visual appeal. Those VStroms are U-G-L-Y :eek1:.
Hey, hey, I resemble those remarks ;) I have a V-Strom 650 and it is a great bike. Once it is farkled up a bit it's looks are not so bad. It is however a bit smothers and a bit spunkier than my NT. It is also about 80lbs less. I bought it to be able to do the many paved roads that turn into dirt roads here in Colorado. With some Givi Luggage it runs out and tours great. Each of the bikes I have all have a special purpose and a place in my heart.:eek::D;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

oldyaler

Hey, hey, I resemble those remarks ;) I have a V-Strom 650 and it is a great bike. Once it is farkled up a bit it's looks are not so bad. It is however a bit smothers and a bit spunkier than my NT. It is also about 80lbs less. I bought it to be able to do the many paved roads that turn into dirt roads here in Colorado. With some Givi Luggage it runs out and tours great. Each of the bikes I have all have a special purpose and a place in my heart.:eek::D;)
I figured I would step on somebody's toes with that comment:D. There's no arguing that the VStrom's basic platform works. I'd just like to see a version in" street clothes" as long as they keep the seat/bar/peg dimensions the same as the 'Strom, which is almost perfect for me.

elizilla

The only view that matters is the view from the rider's seat!

SeattleJim

Tromper
Have you considered Rich's Custom Seats over in Kingston? He's been making seats since... forever.

He'll do vinyl if you insist but mostly he does leather seats. I had the same concern about rain and getting it soaked but there have been zero issues with that. The seams are at the high points so water doesn't soak in.

The seats are made by appointment. You go in first thing in the morning and he finds out what you like and don't like about the existing seat. Then he'll have you sit on your bike and raise and lower your butt to see where it needs to be worked. You'll be there until mid-afternoon but there is no other way to get a great fitting seat.

Stop by some time and sit on mine. If you want, we'll swap seats and you can try it out on your bike for a bit. I had him make mine a bit taller to give me more leg room. I believe "Rob in Kingston" has a Rich's seat, too. Rich has done a few NT's since mine.

Here's the seat on my NT:

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Regarding the sargent seat, anybody get one of those wet? Riding in Seattle, it's not an "If" it's a "When".
I've shied away from the Corbin a bit on the statement they make of "if it gets wet let it sit in the sun for an hour or so..." since it may be a few months before the burning orb reappears around here.
That & the report that the passenger seat was less than satisfactory.
Tromper

Regarding your question on how the Sargent seat performs in wet weather. Below is off the Sargent web site. I have not ridden my Sargent seat enough in the wet to verify what they are saying.

"Why don?t you glue the upholstery down to the foam like your competitor?
And, why does the material float slightly over the foam on your seats?
It has always been our mission to improve upon what our competitors are doing. For practical purposes as well as aesthetics and longevity, we do not glue our upholstery down to the foam like other aftermarket seat manufacturers. Gluing the cover down to the foam can result in three problems:
A. Foam suspension interference - Gluing the upholstery to the foam doesn?t allow the foam to "move" independently from the upholstery resulting in foam that feels too stiff or hard. By allowing the foam to move independently from the upholstery, the full dynamics of the foam suspension can be fully utilized.
B. Bubbling - Gluing the upholstery to the foam is often a relatively temporary bond. Because the cover and the foam expand and contract at different rates due to temperature changes and use pressures, the bond often breaks resulting in unsightly air pockets or "bubbles."
C. Moisture barrier installation - Bonding the upholstery to the foam prevents the use of a plastic moisture barrier in the area of the bond. Using a mechanical tie, as opposed to gluing allows Sargent to apply a continuous and effective moisture barrier, virtually eliminating water infiltration and the need for rain covers
Do your seats leak, and why don?t you offer rain covers for them?
Our seat covers are fabricated using marine-grade vinyl ? designed for outdoor use. Therefore, the material itself is waterproof, may be towel-dried, and does not require any special protection.
Additionally, our mechanical tie upholstery installation technique and minimal seams virtually eliminates water infiltration. This technique also allows for the installation and use of a continuous moisture barrier. Any trace amount of water that enters through seams is not allowed to infiltrate the foam. As a result, the need for rain covers is eliminated.
Finally, we do not recommend the use of decorative stitch work in the face of the seats. Such stitch work compromises the overall upholstery integrity and creates moisture problems, as water can become trapped in the thin layer of foam (or "sew foam" layer) used to create such designs."

Top Bottom