Corbin or Sargent?

oldyaler

Has anyone here had experience with both on the NT700? I'm just wondering how they compare as far as comfort and seating position.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Has anyone here had experience with both on the NT700? I'm just wondering how they compare as far as comfort and seating position.
I am not able to compare them for you but I can say I have a Sargent and I am very pleased with it.

OP
OP

oldyaler

I am not able to compare them for you but I can say I have a Sargent and I am very pleased with it.
Is the foam soft in the sargent? It looks like it's thicker than the Corbin. How does it affect the seating position compared to the stock seat?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Is the foam soft in the sargent? It looks like it's thicker than the Corbin. How does it affect the seating position compared to the stock seat?
The foam is firm and the seat height is the same as stock although MCL sells one that is 1/2" lower than stock. It is made on the OEM seat pan so it installs just like the OEM seat. Since it is made on the OEM seat pan it follows the basic design configeration and look as the original seat but with better materials.

otbiker

FWIW, I just received a Corbin. The foam feels softer than previous Corbins I've owned. I had a Sargeant on a DL650 I was pleased with...

Igo

How long did it take to get it? I ordered mine 10 days ago.

Igo

I ordered my Corbin without stitching in the seat for exactly that reason.

Igo

I use shoe die once a year in the spring and mink oil twice a year to keep leather young. Make sure you wear old pants the first time you ride after a treatment.

elizilla

If I were commuting year round in Seattle, I'd run a stock seat. Commute rides are too short for seat comfort to matter much, and stock seats don't have a butt pocket where water can pool in the rain. Keep the Corbin or the Russell in the basement and pull it out only for touring.

OP
OP

oldyaler

Corbin or Sargent? I'd get Russell!
Russells are nice but I'm 5' 8" with a 30" inseam and 28" sleeve length. I've sat on a NT at the local dealer and I'll need to lower the seat height and at least raise the handlebars. Up AND back would be ideal.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Katherine said:
"If I were commuting year round in Seattle, I'd run a stock seat. Commute rides are too short for seat comfort to matter much, and stock seats don't have a butt pocket where water can pool in the rain. Keep the Corbin or the Russell in the basement and pull it out only for touring."

After throwing mine down on the road last Sunday, I'm thinking about using the stock seat most of the time and saving the Russell for long trips. I've got a 30" inseam and I can flatfoot it with the stock seat.

Chuck, if I do that, I won't sell you the seat for $50, much less for $40. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I hadn't thought about using the stock seat for around town until I saw Katherine mention that about 5 minutes after I saw your message. I think I'll do that. It puts me an inch or so lower and around here, that might well be worth it.

OP
OP

oldyaler

Flatfooting's not the problem Tromper. I'm used to being on the balls of my feet when stopped. I want to get a better "ergonomic relationship" between the bars and seat. I could try to explain explain but it would probably take up too much space here. It all comes from" farkling"my last motorcycle and what I discovered in the process.

Last edited:
OP
OP

oldyaler

:)
Cool, I get ergonomics, they're pretty personal. I may end up pulling the bars back eventually depending on how an old injury plays into things, but trying the basic risers first.
after http://cycle-ergo.com/ & toying with it a bit, I kept thinking how I wish this was a bit closer to the old PC 800 in terms of ergonomics.
Yea, I'm trying to get as close to a BMW R1200RT as I can. Probably wishful thinking on my part :). One thing I haven't heard is anyone trying to modify the stock seat foam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom