Corbin Seat

Neil-OKC

Wanted to start a new thread about this seat.

I'm having a really bad time convincing myself I made the right purchase. Corbin and I just cant' get the seat to fit the bike correctly. See this pic:Corbin Fit

Now they rebuilt the seat and sent me a new one. it still doesn't fit right. The wings that wrap around the gas tank stick out and poke my thighs. Today they said they'd send me a longer tongue to fit tighter under the gas tank where the front tab goes but i'm not holding my breath this is going to work either.

Anyone else have this problem with their corbin seat? I'm getting close to requesting my money back. Shame to cause I love the comfort of it but the thighs thing makes it bad for any lengthy trip.

Nomad

Neil, I have a Corbin which I bought from RedLdr1 -- he bought it from someone else on the forum. So, I don't know the age or whether there has been a seat design change. But, mine follows the contours of the tank and does not stick-up, or out like yours. Yours almost looks like the front tongue is riding on top of the fixture in which it should be inserted. To fit mine properly, I have to raise the back of the saddle before I slide it forward to make sure the tongue fits where it should. If your tongue is properly seated, I'd send pics to Corbin and ask for a replacement, or refund. I've owned several Corbins (on other bikes) and this is by far the most comfortable seat I've owned.

elizilla

Corbin is unique in they build their seats on their own pans, instead of constructing them on top of stock seat pans. I've heard lots of tales of fitment woes because of this - they are known for just not getting the seat pans quite right.

But you would think that if other NT riders have Corbins that don't do this, that they must know how to make an NT seat pan.

It almost looks to me like it's not a seat pan meant for the NT - instead it's something made for another bike that just happens to be kinda close. Maybe you should confirm that they actually know what bike you have, and there hasn't been a mixup there?

Mattb

Wanted to start a new thread about this seat.

I'm having a really bad time convincing myself I made the right purchase. Corbin and I just cant' get the seat to fit the bike correctly. See this pic:Corbin Fit

Now they rebuilt the seat and sent me a new one. it still doesn't fit right. The wings that wrap around the gas tank stick out and poke my thighs. Today they said they'd send me a longer tongue to fit tighter under the gas tank where the front tab goes but i'm not holding my breath this is going to work either.

Anyone else have this problem with their corbin seat? I'm getting close to requesting my money back. Shame to cause I love the comfort of it but the thighs thing makes it bad for any lengthy trip.
I live close enough to ride to Corbin and I'd be at their front door at opening time if I bought a seat from them that fit as poorly as your photos indicate.

I'd definitely send it back.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
From what I've gathered here and on other Forums, Corbin is not great on customer service. It has sounded to me as if they just don't give a rip.

motorpsych

Darn! I was just getting ready to order one. The other reviews have been mostly positive regarding comfort and custom fitting. Let us know how it works out, sounds like you really have to persevere with Corbin's customer service. Good luck!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Corbin is unique in they build their seats on their own pans, instead of constructing them on top of stock seat pans. I've heard lots of tales of fitment woes because of this - they are known for just not getting the seat pans quite right.

But you would think that if other NT riders have Corbins that don't do this, that they must know how to make an NT seat pan.

It almost looks to me like it's not a seat pan meant for the NT - instead it's something made for another bike that just happens to be kinda close. Maybe you should confirm that they actually know what bike you have, and there hasn't been a mixup there?
One of the reasons I purchased a Sargent seat is that it is built on the NT seat pan so I knew I would not have fitment issues. I think others brands are also built on the NT pan.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have the Sargent Lo-Profile and it is simply sensational. Motorcycle Larry is also great to do business with.

OP
OP

Neil-OKC

I have been talking with them. They have even sent me a different seat they made and had me ship this poorly fitting one back. The new seat they sent does the same thing. Now they are sending me a longer 'tongue' to put on the seat and see if it holds the front down better.

To me it is the legs they put on the front section of the seat. These appear to be the wrong thickness and once you push the rear down to lock into place it rockers the front up(like a rocking chair). If this newest thing don't work I'm sending it back for a refund. 500 bucks for a seat it dam well should fit right.

Hell they should at least take one down to the closest dealer who has a NT on the showroom and see *** is the problem.

OP
OP

Neil-OKC

I live close enough to ride to Corbin and I'd be at their front door at opening time if I bought a seat from them that fit as poorly as your photos indicate.

I'd definitely send it back.
HEHE Feel up to taking a ride down there and haveing them 'fit' the seat to your bike?:)

elizilla

I have been talking with them. They have even sent me a different seat they made and had me ship this poorly fitting one back. The new seat they sent does the same thing. Now they are sending me a longer 'tongue' to put on the seat and see if it holds the front down better.
Yet other people have reported that their Corbins fit their NTs correctly. What I am wondering, is if, in their computer, it says you have an ST1100 or a PC800 or a Kawasaki, because the original order taker fat-fingered something. And the seat for that other bike, is close enough to the NT's seat, that it latches. But it's not actually the correct seat. And since they have this faulty info in their computer, they just keep sending you the wrong seat.

Remember the NT is a parts-bin bike; that's why we have a mirror mount on the clutch lever perch even though we have fairing mounted mirrors, and we have an attachment point for a dual rear spring on the swingarm even though we have a monoshock. Perhaps the rear subframe with its seat latches, is the same as the one on another Honda model (like a Shadow or a Nighthawk or something) and therefore the seat for that bike snaps on, but the nose doesn't match our gas tank shape.

Does the Corbin seat pan have a part number printed on it? If so, maybe one of the folks here who has a Corbin that fits, could get that number, and you could compare it to the number on your seat.

To me it is the legs they put on the front section of the seat. These appear to be the wrong thickness and once you push the rear down to lock into place it rockers the front up(like a rocking chair).
Could you file those legs down with a dremel, and make the seat fit better? I mean, you like the seat in other ways, right? You'd rather get it to work, than just give up and look for a different aftermarket seat? When you next talk to Corbin, you could ask if you can try filing the legs down and still return the seat if it doesn't work.

Note, I'm not excusing Corbin for this. Just trying to help you get a resolution that lets you use the seat. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Yet other people have reported that their Corbins fit their NTs correctly.
The Corbin seat I had has fit three NT's just fine, OTBiker's, mine, and now Nomad's... No shimming to make it latch right or any fitment issues. I think Katherine may be on to something with a FUBAR'ed order as far as getting the right seat pan....

OP
OP

Neil-OKC

Does the Corbin seat pan have a part number printed on it? If so, maybe one of the folks here who has a Corbin that fits, could get that number, and you could compare it to the number on your seat.
Yes it has some numbers.

Big numbers 'etched into pan are H-NT-7V
a barcode sticker with the same numbers as above and also 2371551 right above the barcode.

Anyone else have a seat that can check these numbers for me?

Nomad

Neil,
I just checked my Corbin: H-NT-7V (same as yours), but the barcode number is 2351501. Perhaps the last set is a serial number? For what it's worth, I wouldn't characterize the NT as a "parts bin" bike nor would I disparage Corbin's seat pans. Having owned 3, or 4 Corbin seats, I think their pans are generally made better than factory pans and give you the option of still using the factory seat, or selling it. I much prefer that option over someone rebuilding my original seat. That said, I wouldn't keep the seat you have. I would hope your photos would catch the attention of Corbin's QA people -- and I'd let them know our forum is interested in the outcome. Maybe you could meet-up with one of the Missouri or Arkansas riders and see if your seat fits their bikes.

Silver Ranger

I had Corbin change the stitching in the seat and add some padding to make it higher. However the seat pan is the same. The fit is not as good as the OEM around the tank and at the front edge. I think the design and color offset the fit. As for comfort I have put on 4,000 miles with the longest day just under 400 miles and have had no issues. I also like having the OEM seat still. If I think I could get caught in the rain commuting to or from work I swap them out for the day.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Joe,
That is a sharp looking seat. Really compliments the appearance of your bike. I had a Corbin on my Ninja and it made all the difference in comfort and appearance.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Everyone seems to agree here and you're spot on with your feelings. I've only had one Corbin, made for my Aprilia Pegaso 650 and I had to wrestle with them to get it right.

When I called the first time I was very specific about whether or not they could give me a seat height at least one inch lower than stock and I was assured this would be easy. When the new seat arrived it was exactly the same as the stock unit and when I called them on it they tried to go into denial. To prove my point I mounted a cloth tape measure on one of the garage doors, parked the bike on the center stand and using a tripod shot close up photos. Then I reinstalled the stock saddle and did the same. No difference.

I emailed the pics to them and then followed up with a phone call so no one could pretend they hadn't received them. The production manager got on the line and talking in a hushed voice told me if I would ship the saddle back to his attention he would take care of it personally but his boss didn't like to do re-do work on saddles that had been shipped in. ??? 3 weeks later the saddle arrived and it was about 1/2" lower, not even close to what they'd promised.

I learned to live with it and ultimately hung a sidecar on the bike which made the whole thing a non-issue. Since then I've put a bit over 15K miles on it and it's still hard as a board, another thing Corbin is known for but I won't go there. Suffice it to say I won't buy any of their products again, their service stinks and their sales people are too creative for my likes.

My advice is give them exactly one more chance to make it right and then go for a refund and don't forget to include the shipping you paid out. I hope you used a credit card as payment; if you did you shouldn't have any problems with a refund.

Good luck...:)

LL75

June 7, 2012 Edit Post: Well guess who just bought a pre-owned Corbin? Duh...

Last edited:
OP
OP

Neil-OKC

Yes but see the difference in your seat's fit and mine? The wings sticking out at the top are what is causing the discomfort.
My seat

I really like the butt comfort it gives, but I can't be riding all day with my legs held out away from the tank. If I pull them in the seat rubs and pokes the inside of my thighs and is even more uncomfortable. Not to mention after some miles it will end up rubbing the paint right off the gas tank.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I went back and forth between Corbin and Sargent. I'm so happy I chose the Sargent it fits perfectly and is very comfortable. I was able to purchase a new seat from the dealer for cheap when I bought the bike and I sent that one in to Sargent, so I still have the seat that came with the bike (1300 miles on it) that I was going to keep as a spare just in case I have problem with the custom one. If anyone is interested you can get it for $50.00 plus shipping. PM if interested.

OP
OP

Neil-OKC

I went back and forth between Corbin and Sargent. I'm so happy I chose the Sargent it fits perfectly and is very comfortable. I was able to purchase a new seat from the dealer for cheap when I bought the bike and I sent that one in to Sargent, so I still have the seat that came with the bike (1300 miles on it) that I was going to keep as a spare just in case I have problem with the custom one. If anyone is interested you can get it for $50.00 plus shipping. PM if interested.
The problem is this seat is exceptionally comfortable accept for the wings. If I hadn't paid so much I'd figure out a way to fix this myself but damit for 500 bucks the sucker should fit.

Top Bottom