Corbin Seat

OP
OP

Neil-OKC

So after calling them again today and after installing the longer tongue that didn't fix the problem they said first thing monday they'll goto the local honda dealer and borrow one of their NTs(if they have one) and bring it to the shop and see about installing the first seat I sent back to them. Hopefully this will show them exactly what I mean and get this taken care of.

I work as an electronic tech and maintenance tech so I did some measuring and checking of the seat. The well where they put the front tongue is not quite wide enough to clear the battery. If you guys look at the battery it sticks about 1/2" above the frame and is causing the seat back to rock the front up a bit(just like what rocking chair rockers do) and this causing the front wings to lift enough to spread around the gas tank. Hopefully if all goes well this problem will be taken care of for future buyers of this seat.

elizilla

Rick,

I'm sure they don't own all the bikes they sell seats for. The margins and sales volumes are not large enough. They borrow them from somewhere, or get people to send them measurements. I am now a veteran of this process, getting the first Knight Designs footpegs for the NT, and the Mick-o-pegs for the NT, and last week I took the Super10 to Powerlet so they could design for it. And how easy is it to find an NT? No one here has posted saying they measured their bike for Corbin, have they?

Anyway, judging from the results we see here, I am wondering if they tried to make the NT seat without getting their hands on one, based on measurements taken by some owner somewhere, who didn't do it well? Measuring irregularly shaped objects is hard.

I have only owned one Corbin seat ever. I acquired it used as part of the package when I bought my VFR. It was a nice looking seat and comfortable, and didn't have problems like this NT seat has. But I switched back to stock because of fitment issue - the Corbin didn't latch properly and would shift around while I was riding, and I didn't find the stock seat uncomfortable so I just switched back.

denali1995

I recently bought a seat from a nice guy in OKC. He said that Corbin had accidentally double shipped him. When I got the seat, it didn't fit. After a little sluthing with grease to high spot it, I found that the seat contacted the battery. Another hour with a very sharp chisel, and I got it to fit. I still have to use a heat gun on the wings that surround the tank to get them to fit better. It occurs to me that Corbin probably used a bike with a slightly smaller battery for their proto. Battery size is critical for my seat. While reading through these forums looking for answers, I found that a nice guy from OKC seemed to have a great deal of trouble fitting his seat until Corbin shipped him a replacement. HMMMMMM..... Oh well at least I got it to fit.

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
So - I wish I had a pic to show you my before/after:
I had the EXACT same problem (a year ago), but after reading about the Customer Service woes, I just fixed it myself.

1.) I told them I was 6' and my seat came with plastic "pegs" that raised the seat. I believe these were afterthoughts on fit and finish, so I removed them - and that was the first good thing I did

2.) More dangerous: I literally turned the seat upside down on the floor and "BENT" it from the middle pulling the entire front half of the seat until I heard the fiberglass gently crackishing
2.a) this actually proved to do the trick with the "wings" you describe because the wings are the perfect size, but the front of the seat is in fact "cocked" up too much:D

THIS COULD BREAK/VOID/MESS UP your seat :doh1: so don't even think about it unless you are ready to lose it.

I was at my wits end, which is why I did it, and I am happy I did because it worked perfectly, and the last 15,000 miles have been bliss ...

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
Thanks Phil,
I tried to use DropBox links, and that did not work.
So I uploaded to the forum manually ...

You can see the difference.
I really loved my seat this winter because of the "heated" option.
I should also add: I had to make REALLY SURE after removing the plastic pegs that were nailed to the pan that I did not have an electrical issue with the cables and the battery.

I really think the first prototype they used must have been slightly different.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Maybe, but since there haven't been any changes in the NT since Honda started importing it, I'm doubtful.

denali1995

Batteries vary in size a little. Maybe they used one with a smaller battery. My bike had sat on the showroom floor for a year and a half, so we asked them to put in a new battery. So, my battery was aftermarket, not the factory original.

denali1995

Looks to me like the matrix around the fiberglass is thermoplastic, that is why I intend to try a heat gun to re shape it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I can't say the Sargent seat is better but at least it is built on the Honda seat pan so it fits perfect.

Top Bottom