Corbin Seats

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rob, I'm kind of like Chuck500, but I spent all my experimental money back in the early 'oughts when I was riding my first Concours. I started with a Hartco sheepskin full cover, which was pretty comfortable on the stock saddle, but wore quickly.

During that time I did about 250 miles one day on a friend's Corbin. It was miserable. It was very heavy, probably 3 times the weight of the stock saddle, due to Corbin's seat pan. It didn't fit the bike very well and their were gaps between it and the mid-fairing. Plus it was hard as a rock and transmitted vibration to my "delicate" areas and actually made me go numb in a place I've never been numb in before or since.

Then I tried a Rick Meyers saddle. He was very hard to communicate with, missed promised delivery and return dates by large amounts, always had an excuse and got mad at me because, after trying to call him and email him for three weeks with no reply, I called information and got his home number and called him their. The saddle wasn't uncomfortable for me, but my wife, who rode then, found the Meyer pillion much more uncomfortable than the stock seat. But, for me, the saddle wasn't any great improvement over stock, and one seam came apart after only 15-20,000 miles. I paid Rick a nominal amount for the repair and sold the saddle to a guy who only rode with it a few times before going back to the stock saddle.

Then I got a Russell. It worked great and I was never uncomfortable. I rode it for probably 35,000 miles on my first Connie, and then for another 50,000 on my 2nd one. The guy who bought the bike still has it and says it's still comfortable and still looks good.

When I bought my NT, I kept the stock saddle for probably 15-18,000 miles. Then I bought Elzilla's stock saddle after she got a Russell and sent it to Russell for them to build me a DayLong for the NT. I've had it for nearly 70,000 miles. I did get the driver's seat recovered after wearing out a seam. Russell moved that seam just a bit when they recovered the saddle and it seems to be avoiding the wear. If you ever saw me slide my way onto and off of my bike, you'd understand why a seam on the right front of the saddle could wear out. I've had five knee replacements and my access to the saddle is awkward, to say the least.

There is a French saddle that looks good and I've heard good things about it. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?6688-Top-Sellerie-Deauville-saddle

Jim Moore in Nebraska had the first one of these I saw and he's very happy with it. For $399, it's quite a bit cheaper than the Russell.

If I ever buy a bike other than an NT, I'll be calling Russell early on. If I buy another NT, I'll be moving my current saddle to that bike and buying a stock saddle from Honda to go with mine to its second owner.

NCpkwyrider1

Thanks for your replies. Chuck - can I see a picture of your Russell? Where did you order it from and how much did it cost?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rob, here's a picture of my Russell. IIRC, I spent about $650. I got leather on the whole saddle, bought the rain cover, and paid extra for the heavy-duty saddle.

Attachments

NCpkwyrider1

Phil, thanks for your reply and the pictures. Have to say.....I like the French saddle.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks for your replies. Chuck - can I see a picture of your Russell? Where did you order it from and how much did it cost?
Sure, at least I will try. it's been a while. The Russell saddles only come from one place and each is made to order.

This shows the seat well, the bike is kitted out for a trip.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
on last 8 bikes I have had seat built for the 5 most recent have been Russell. I suggest saving yourselfe a lot of time, discomfort and heartache, get the best and don't bother trying the rest. in second position is Rich O Connor in Kingston WA. He is the only alternate to a Russel. I prefer my Russelles's to his, but I did ride his seat for over 100,000 miles on my 04 wing with satisfaction.Bikes involved C-10 concours, 01 ultra classicin addition to the wing. bikes with Russell: KLR 650, Shadow VLX 600, R850R BMW Dual Russell, 2011 NT, and CRF 250 L
all with leather insert except the BMW which was vional.

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Eldon does the ride in method for several reasons, 1, I feel I get a better fit being there in person, 2nd, I have a son living in Phoenix , Oregon where I arrive to spend Sunday night before riding the last 125 miles to Shasta Lake on Monday , for a Tuesday morning appointment. 3, I also have several good friends in the Yuba City/ Marysville Ca area who I may or may not visit as I am not that far from them, 4 It seems like I am usurally involved in scavenger hunt rally's of one sort or another and will be chasing bonuses in Northern CA.

It is also vey nice to be able to meet the tech who is building the seat for you and have a one on one discussion with him regarding your desires for the final outcome, granted this is not a absolute requirement. I also save the cost of freight, LOL the ride in cost comes out to not quite the cost of fuel , lodging and meals, but it sure gets close. Freight would be 80 to 100 dollars. Gas for me is 850 miles around $60, then lodging at the nice motel is 65.00 and a couple of meals at 10 to 20 per meal, your options on that can be more , or less depending on your choice. considering you can have a nice trip pretty well evens out the cost factor. If I were on a time & money tight budget I would do a one ride in direct timing my arrival in Shasta Lake at 0800 in the morning. Have my room availible that morning, do my measurements ride to motel and get my rest while seat is being built, go back for trying seat before cover is finished up etc, and leave out of Shasta lake around 1630 to return home, or towards home. There are many variables as to how you plan and lay out your individual trip. IF you want to eat on the cheap there is a McDonalds about 4 blocks from Russel's facility, but there are better options about the same distance all with in walking distance if you feel frisky. I don't a piece of foam laid across my frame works as a temporary seat and allows me to use my bike for transport duty because regardles of which way you go to eat one way will be up hill walking.

garhod

Jeff.
I realize this is an old post, I purchased a used corbin seat off EBay thinking it might be more comfortable than the stock seat. It still could use some help and was seriously considering just purchasing an airhawk, the small cruiser R appears to be the best fit based on the design of the corbin seat. I was curious what model of airhawk you went with?
Thanks,
Gary

Top Bottom