Cow joins Pig...

bicyclist

...in the garage. Kaw Versys, that is.

It has a few issues, but it was cheap. I'm making progress on the issues.

It will eventually be used as an "adventure" bike to run forest roads and that sort of thing. I want to ride some of the gravel roads up north and while I'm sure the Pig can do it, I don't want to wrestle the extra weight or risk the expensive plastic. It'll get some engine and radiator protection, some hand guards, and some inexpensive luggage (Pelican cases), some extra lights and should be ready to go. I'll make as much of the stuff as I can. It'll be an exercise in budget motorcycling.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
A "new" bike is always fun; even with some issues to work through. Hope you enjoy it.

ohblackwater

Don't know what the "issues" are, but that's a nice looking bike. Cheers!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
"Bike" magazine, my favorite motorcycle rag, is British, and they picked the Versys as their bike of the year a year or two ago. They said it did everything that made motorcycling fun.

OP
OP

bicyclist

pelican=cheap? Not :D
Well, they're not as cheap as Seahorse cases, but they're a hell of a lot cheaper than Traxx, Happy Trails, Jesse, Givi or any of the others of that ilk. Pelican 1550s run about $100 ea. Seahorse are about half that. I have a 1550 that I've used as a tail trunk on my K75. It's strong like bull and waterproof.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Don't know what the "issues" are, but that's a nice looking bike. Cheers!
Previous owner lowered the rear suspension and slid the forks up in the clamps an inch and a half. Then, to clear the dual sport tire he put on the front, he raised the fender 2 1/2 inches. That left 4 inches of clearance between the top of the fender and the bottom of the brake hose bracket. Problem is that the fork has 6" of travel, so he cracked the fender and bent its mounting bracket. I fixed all that. In the interest of style, he cut off the rear fender flap (which contained the tag light). There are fender eliminator kits available or you can remove the flap and fab something, but this character cut the flap in half. I made up a tag mount out of a piece of aluminum sheet with a $4 tag light from Advance Auto attached to it. That got me through inspection and will do until I can come up with a fender. And so forth. But I've worked through most of the issues and started adding some farkles. Been enjoying the work, so far.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I've only known one person that had a Versys. It caught my attention and there is a lot I like about the bike.
Enjoy the modifying.

Brad

Top Bottom