Cracked brake disc

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Has anyone experienced any problems with the brake disks? Brought bike in for service yesterday, 8,700 miles. During the inspection, the guys at the shop found a not so insignificant crack.DSCN0989.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Bummer. Did you notice the brakes not feeling right before you brought it in for service? That is a significant crack.

Brad

Just for discussion that it cracked is unusual for I have never seen it but that the crack is significantly separated is also interesting. Sure would have the mechanics look at the mountiing bolts carefully.

OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
The guys at the shop had never seen anything like it before either. Didn't feel anything strange during baking. I don't ride fast, and pretty much ride smoothly the vast majority of the time (except when a car doesn't notice me and gets in the way.) This is my third bike, and in over two hundred thousand miles, I've never had to do anything with brakes other than regular maintenance.

I'm guessing...just remembered a little incident: There was one time (three or four hundred hundred miles ago---luckily I ride mostly highway and nice back roads with not a hell of a lot of braking to do) when I was riding along and the bike started slowing down by itself. I applied throttle and noticed that the engine was working harder but I was still slowing down. I moved over to the side of the road, braked to a stop (not much braking was needed.) I checked all over but found nothing. Got back on the bike and all was well. Some rear brake mechanism failed? Got stuck in brake mode for long enough to overheat the disk? I'll be sure to mention this to the guys at the shop. I doubt very much it was a bad disc, a lemon; others out there would have experienced such problems.

Yep, still under warranty.

skiper

Holy WoW.. if that is from heat the bearing would be overheated too. I had an old pickup - it got a stuck brake and the heat smoked the bearing to cherry red and it slowed the vehicle down. These mc brakes are cooled much better and may not damage the bearing. Shocking.. but you OK.. nuf said

Top Bottom