Crankshaft hole cover

• Thread starter Deleted member 540
  • Start date

Deleted member 540

I tried to remove the crankshaft hole cover, it would not budge, soaked it with PB Blaster, tried tapping with mallet and ended up stripping out the 10mm allen hole. Now I'm at a loss, any ideas?
Thanks in advance

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You are obviously going to have to replace the cover anyway since the allen hole is damaged. Take a center punch and along the outside perimeter of the cover tap it in a counter-clockwise direction... this "usually" works in cases like this. If not, take Dremel tool and grind a slot in the cover face and use a drag link socket to loosen the cover. The PB Blaster didn't work 'cause it couldn't get past the "o"-ring which seals the cover. Before installing the new cover be sure to coat the threads with an anti-seize compound so it will come off much easier next time.

Mike

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

Got it off this a.m. Used a 1/8 in drill bit and dremel to cut a slot for 1'' drag link socket and some heat from a butane torch. It wasn't pretty but it's off now and I'll go on with the valve check. Thanks again,

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

Valve check done, new air filter, plugs and a new cap on order. All is well!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I thought stoopid s**t like that only happened to me!...]

No, there's plenty to go around!

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

All clearances were in spec. And I was able to get the 8mm deep socket on the throttle body rubber boot without to much trouble. It took the drag link socket with a 3/4'' breaker bar and my wife's help to get that sucker out though.
With an oil change and the new tires I'm good to go for another 8k!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I had same issue at 4000 mile valve check. I tryed soaking a bit, hammer type impact, and air impact until I finally rounded out the allen cover.
I believe the dealer cross threaded it at the 600 mile service. I bought a new left side cover and will replace it next valve check (it is due now).
To do the 4000 check I removed the left cover to access the crank and timing marks then reinstalled.
I will probably do some demo work on the original cover to see what the threads are like.
see attached pics

Brad

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I guess you learned all you needed to know at Chuck's house last Friday, Tracker. I've got to learn how to do the valve adjustments!

Top Bottom