Cruise control alternative?

prof98801

I am going to the caterpillar shop today and see if they have any "O" rings that would fit my NT to use as a poor man's cruise control. A friend of mine uses one and says it works fine. Has anyone on the forum ever used these? He got his years ago from caterpillar. They are pretty thick. Will try different sizes.

1TRAK

I am going to the caterpillar shop today and see if they have any "O" rings that would fit my NT to use as a poor man's cruise control. A friend of mine uses one and says it works fine. Has anyone on the forum ever used these? He got his years ago from caterpillar. They are pretty thick. Will try different sizes.
Used one on my 06 concours. Worked great as long as it and the grip was clean. Don't remember the part # but it was yellow and about 1/8th inch thick. Let us know how they work out. Thanks!

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have never used one but there are two that are supposed to work Catepiller 8M4991, 8M5266. They are cheep around $2 each. I plan to try these myself, as soon as I can get a couple.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I rode my Kawasaki Concours, quite a few folks used a John Deere O-ring. I don't know the part number for that one. I never tried the O-ring throttle lock, but used Vista Cruise on my Concours before fitting an Audiovox CC-100. Gary Murphy, owner of Murphskits has gotten that cruise control back into production. It works great on the Connie, but I'm not the guy who is going to be able to figure out how to fit it onto the NT-700V.

I'm using the Throttlemeister and it works better than the Vista Cruise did on the Connie, but not as well as the Audiovox did.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It probably does work fine, John, but I still like my Throttlemeister. So there!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've used the vista cruise on my bikes the past few years - had to modify all of them a little but no big deal. I epoxy them to the handlebar switch and they work great. They aren't so tight that I can't still move the throttle either direction and you can't beat the price.

I've had two GL1800s but never used the cruise control as a cruise control, only as a throttle lock.. kinda funny.

I've tried the throttlemeister and the o-ring thing, just never liked how that worked, the vista is a quick action with my thumb and just feels more natural to me.

I tried the expensive aluminum throttle lock contraption (break away) and it worked well but uses 'teeth' or 'gears' internally to lock and I kept feeling like I would lock it at a too fast or too slow setting.

Did I mention I'm cheap? LOL

I did a summary of all the options, or most of them, available here:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?108217

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I have been using the GoCruise device. It worked flawlessly on a recent 2000 mile trip. For $20 and a three second installation, it's pretty darn good.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I never heard of the go cruise before and saw one at an event this year, so simple yet works well.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have a Kaoko which is installed and works fairly well. I also have a Throttlemeister that's a paperweight. A Go Cruise that's in my glove box. A cramp buster that's installed and a Vista Cruise that's still in the package. Other than the Cramp Buster I hardly ever us the throttle locks since I am either commuting in city traffic or riding on the back roads none of which is conducive to throttle locks. Someday I may do some long interstate riding and they will then come in handy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Throttle Meister= more expensive I think around $100 plus, distracting to use for me always two handed operation.

The Throttlemeister is definitely more expensive, but it is a slicker-looking installation and gives heavier bar-end weights and I think it may dampen vibration some. It hasn't ever been a two-handed operation for me. I do roll the throttle forward manually when I need to slow down.

I haven't seen the NEP installed on an NT. On Connies it was always a more awkward-looking installation than the Vista-Cruise. I liked the Vista-Cruise but had problems with the brass screw/bolt that adjusted tension stretching and always needing readjustment every few weeks. Finally that screw/bolt stretched so much that it snapped and I could never find a replacement to fit.

Since installing the Throttlemeister, I've re-adjusted it once. I do recognize that others haven't been able to get the Throttlemeister to work with their heated-grip installation, but I haven't had that problem.

One more time: You pays your money and you takes your choice. I'm glad the NEP works for you, John. I'm glad the Throttlemeister works for me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
We're all talking about cruise control/throttle lock alternatives. Sounds like there are several. I'd like to see a Kaoko installed. But I'm at peace with the world -- even if some of you couldn't get the TM installed. I could. I agree that there are some differences in Honda's heated handgrip installations that might preclude the use of the TM. But in my world, which features the TM, all is well.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I've always been leery of any device that holds the throttle open and requires effort to release it. In an emergency situation, that could be bad news. It's the reason I spent the money for the BrakeAway unit. A touch of the front brake lever (natural reaction in a bad situation) releases the throttle instantly.
Hi Paul,

I have a BrakeAway that I bought for my Vulcan last year and only used it for 3 months or so, then when I traded the Kawi in I removed it figuring I could use it on another bike. Until I read your comment I'd forgotten about it but now I see I'll have to contact the factory about modifying it for the NT.

Question: Did you have any problems with your installation? Mine went OK but it took a couple of adjustments before it was ready. Overall I liked it better than others I tried.

Thanks,

Larry

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I used the BrakeAway for years on my ST1300. Tricky to get the alignment set up properly, and if I had occasion to do anything with the front brake assembly, I sometimes had to fiddle with it a bit again. But it worked flawlessly, and with the exceptions noted in the previous sentence, required NO maintenance adjustment. Contrary to one comment in here, it is also friction-based, but I didn't fiddle with the friction adjustment, ever. It does occupy some real estate on the handgrip, though.

Many years ago I had a VistaCruise, but it wasn't well made and had excessive slop in the linkage, making it a subpar device. They may be better now, so I no longer have an opinion.

I have found throttle friction devices (sorry, virtually no product mentioned in this thread is an actual cruise control) only useful for short durations, but useful nonetheless in that context. So I'll probably add something or other to the NT.

I have a CrampBuster right now and find it to be the most effective gizmo for everyday use. And it's embarrassingly cheap. Not worthy of the term "farkle".

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
This option doesn't work on the NT even thought it does work on some other modles.

CommuterNT

I Just bought my NT in Reno and rode it back to Seattle. I bought the Go Cruise from some recommendations from here and the price was right before picking up the bike. All I can say is it saved my hand and wrist. Not sure if I could have made it back without it. No its not a cruise control but it will hold your speed fairly consistently depending on the terrain you are riding on. I would often set it and then every so often just tweak it a bit to maintain my speed. I loved how simple it was to install and use and I never found it to be a safety hazard. I would often set it and just lightly rest my hand on the throttle to control my speed. This way it would keep a general speed with minimal input into the throttle. Honestly for the price and the ease of use and size it would be a handy thing to just keep stored in your bike for times you go on an extended ride and need a little relief.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I agree with you about the need for something to help control speed. I've got both a Throttlemeister and a Rostra electronic cruise control on my bike (an expensive way to control speed and a more expensive way to control speed), but I've been impressed with the effectiveness of the Go Cruise, especially for the money it doesn't cost!

Having a throttle lock or cruise control has been my most important farkle to the last three bikes I've owned (two '99 C-10 Kawasaki Concours and my NT).

Seabee Rick

What size go cruise did you buy for the NT (small 7/8" or large 11/4")?

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
Whenever you're ready to take the plunge for real cruise control, MCCruise is worth EVERY PENNY.

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/honda/products/9
I would like to put one of those on mine, but Im not convinced I could do it myself. I saw a shop here in town that is listed on their page of installers, but checking the reviews for the place, their service department is almost universally given horrible reports.

b.

Top Bottom